James Brent | Page 14 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

James Brent

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It is a very sad story but one fans of clubs like Fleetwood and FGR should bear in mind.

Saw Argyle play there twice and was impressed with the facilities on show.

We went corporate second time as a customer of mine was a long term fan, and they based their marbled floors in what they had seen at Highbury.

May 22, 2006
tonycholwell":3pjyyac6 said:
pastiesforlife":3pjyyac6 said:
People like to moan about JB, but he saved the club and tries to run it without sustaining massive losses. A sensible approach.

Some people would prefer a sugar daddy, which JB certainly isn’t. That still comes with problems that still upsets supporters.

Step forward Dale Vince at FGR. He seems to have a few pretentious ideas of his own.

“A star is printed above the player name to signify the club’s promotion to the Football League in 2017, with two stars greyed-out to represent the chairman Dale Vince’s ambition to reach the Championship in the coming seasons.”

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/2018/fgr-rev ... ummel-kits

Also note his references to their traditional kit colours, which have been green and black for just a couple of seasons. Long term supporters miss their black and white stripes. Supporters will soon be able to order their kits!

It’s not always greener on the other side of the fence and certainly not if you are a supporter of FGR, despite the owner’s insistence. Food for thought (and don’t even start to ask about their catering). Imagine Home Park without pasties.

Pastiesforlife

I have been a regular visitor to New Lawn over the past 4 years and your post is very wide of the actual mark.

When Dale took over the club, attendances could be counted in hundreds. Last season they averaged 3,700+. Im no vegan or even a veggie but their hospitality does a roaring trade and making it harder to get to the bar!

I have yet to meet any of the older supporters who complain about the addition of lime green. The biggest grumble is car parking, which has gone up from £4 to £5 last season. Even then Dale adds his own unique twist in that they use a local primary school for parking and then donate all takings back to the school. He also has installed charging points for all the electric cars, including his own.

The growth in attendance has come about mostly though encouraging families and they are looked after very well. Young fans of the club are encouraged to become Club Ambassadors which helps to bind the next generation of supporters.

The new ground had a world wide competition for architects. The winner was the Zaha Hadid who also designed the aquatic centre for the 2012 Olympics. Good pedigree. The existing ground produces its own electricity, but the new stadium will go further. But it will also be next to the M5/Stroud and will be looking to expand its fan base.

You may not be able to get a pasty bit you can get a Q Pie:)

Pretentious? No, sticks to his beliefs? Indeed.

How is it not pretentious to award yourself a star for winning the Conference, and having another two available for winning L1 and L2? At the start of last season, Vince suggested FGR would win the league easily. They came 21st and looked like relegation candidates for quite a while.

Would Argyle supporters really be happy if an owner changed the teams colours and moved to a motorway junction about 15 miles away?

Nailsworth is nowhere near big enough to sustain a Championship club. The population can only be in the region of 3,700. Presumably the move is to attract supporters from Gloucester City (who are still homeless after about 8 seasons), and Stroud. The location may cause traffic chaos if big crowds are achieved.

Are FGR supporters happy? Not all, it seems.

https://twitter.com/FGRFC_Official/stat ... 7743635457

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
In reverse order pfl, The fact their average attendance has shot up to 3,700+ last season from a few hundred when Dale took over tells its own story. That twitter feed has its old reactionaries, just like Pasoti or other forums.But the fanbase is growing and as you quite rightly point out, not just from Nailsworth. But then Argyle are not reliant on fans just from Bristol.

Nailsworth clearly isn't big enough to sustain a Championship side which in part is why its moving, but Stroud nor Gloucester have league teams either nor likely to. But the main point is the New Lawn would be difficult to improve and probably has the worse road approaches in the League, even worse than WW.

Changed the team colours? As already said, only a few old diehards think its an issue. The sheer number of shirts and scarfs on show at each match tells its own story.

Stars? Not sure I can see anything wrong, its new and innovative and will help Im sure, with their marketing. Mind, on a broader point, Macron seem to be increasing their involvement with league clubs. perhaps they are one to watch.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
tonycholwell":3ep4f27a said:
Changed the team colours? As already said, only a few old diehards think its an issue.

Stars? Not sure I can see anything wrong.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Thank the Lord you have no say in our club then Tony.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
IJN":2wccs2sb said:
tonycholwell":2wccs2sb said:
Changed the team colours? As already said, only a few old diehards think its an issue.

Stars? Not sure I can see anything wrong.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Thank the Lord you have no say in our club then Tony.

Do any of us IJN?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Absolutely not, and that’s the way it should be.

Fan run clubs are an anathema.

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Never heard of her.

Heck, you two sound like the downstairsers off Downton: "Happen we'd all be best served staying out of his lordship's way this afternoon".

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
nikkk":vgbyowxo said:
IJN":vgbyowxo said:

Quite ! :funny:
*quickly Google’s Anathema :thumbup:

C

CADMAN

IJN":1c0k50qw said:

With the exceptions being Barcelona and Real Madrid?

Jul 13, 2006
That's amazing - population 3,700, average attn 3,700, which means that our average attendance should be 250,000. We're going to need a bigger ground.

Peter Jones

R.I.P
Mar 4, 2004
tonycholwell":2h93jwmj said:
pastiesforlife":2h93jwmj said:
People like to moan about JB, but he saved the club and tries to run it without sustaining massive losses. A sensible approach.

Some people would prefer a sugar daddy, which JB certainly isn’t. That still comes with problems that still upsets supporters.

Step forward Dale Vince at FGR. He seems to have a few pretentious ideas of his own.

“A star is printed above the player name to signify the club’s promotion to the Football League in 2017, with two stars greyed-out to represent the chairman Dale Vince’s ambition to reach the Championship in the coming seasons.”

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/2018/fgr-rev ... ummel-kits

Also note his references to their traditional kit colours, which have been green and black for just a couple of seasons. Long term supporters miss their black and white stripes. Supporters will soon be able to order their kits!

It’s not always greener on the other side of the fence and certainly not if you are a supporter of FGR, despite the owner’s insistence. Food for thought (and don’t even start to ask about their catering). Imagine Home Park without pasties.

Pastiesforlife

I have been a regular visitor to New Lawn over the past 4 years and your post is very wide of the actual mark.

When Dale took over the club, attendances could be counted in hundreds. Last season they averaged 3,700+. Im no vegan or even a veggie but their hospitality does a roaring trade and making it harder to get to the bar!

I have yet to meet any of the older supporters who complain about the addition of lime green. The biggest grumble is car parking, which has gone up from £4 to £5 last season. Even then Dale adds his own unique twist in that they use a local primary school for parking and then donate all takings back to the school. He also has installed charging points for all the electric cars, including his own.

The growth in attendance has come about mostly though encouraging families and they are looked after very well. Young fans of the club are encouraged to become Club Ambassadors which helps to bind the next generation of supporters.

The new ground had a world wide competition for architects. The winner was the Zaha Hadid who also designed the aquatic centre for the 2012 Olympics. Good pedigree. The existing ground produces its own electricity, but the new stadium will go further. But it will also be next to the M5/Stroud and will be looking to expand its fan base.

You may not be able to get a pasty bit you can get a Q Pie:)

Pretentious? No, sticks to his beliefs? Indeed.

I'm with Tony on this.

Dale Vince is doing a remarkable job there. FGR is not only a sustainable EFL club; it is also utterly distinctive in terms of what it stands for, and delivers.

The vegan and carbon neutral policies are good examples of that, and have attracted global recognition.

And there's an extraordinary new stadium on the way. A statement in and of itself.

All this despite the fact that Nailsworth has a population around half the size of Tavistock's.

The one thing that will have made it a lot easier for Dale Vince: he will have started with a (relatively) clean sheet of paper. As a result of which, the (small-c) conservative pressures which so dominate the discourse at clubs dating back 5 generations+ will not have been there.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Well I disagree, as an old school footie fan, I see this as a rich man's train set with a quirky difference.

Maybe slightly more palatable than Milton Keynes, at least this lot got there under there own steam (with money) but at the end of the day it should be about football, not stadiums, not meat free zones and certainly not about changing the colour of a club's strip.

As for those stars???? :facepalm: