James Brent | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

James Brent

May 8, 2011
oldage":1x2qbaa3 said:
I am supportive of JB and grateful for what he has done for the club and have never insinuated anything in that regard. My concern is that DA has signed 10 players who he says he had been chasing for some time yet who seem to be injury prone. Are these players bought to improve our chances of promotion from last season or to ensure we stay in the first division?

Derek Adams is extremely happy at Argyle, if he wasn’t he wouldn’t be here, he certainly isn’t working at Argyle because he needs the money.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
X Isle":o2gf74mu said:
Kentishgreen":o2gf74mu said:
Some people see their glass as half empty, others see it as half full. No points “scored” by either party will ever cause the other to change its mind.
Oh brother, than is the spottiest form of spot on.

The right thing to do, you'd think (assuming common sense were applied in this never-ending cycle of shyte) would be to agree to disagree about it and concentrate on football matters, the one thing that surely unites us all, remember football?

But no, like a child with a 5c@b we have to keep pick pick picking away at it. Friendly matches get a couple of pages, the whole Maastricht tour thread only has four and even our first choice keeper breaking his ankle gets less than a third of the pages about our chairman... about whom nothing has really changed in several years :facepalm:

Add to that the festering sore of the grandstand 'debate' this summer... less about the developments and more about more conspiracy theories and hidden agendas. This site (and the other one, I do read that regularly as I think it is important for balance) have properly lost the 'kin plot on what is important about being a football supporter.

I had intended again to steer clear of posting this summer, silly season just brings out silliness. The non football stuff bores the absolute arse off me and is increasingly genuinely turning me off the whole 'Argyle experience' completely.

However faced with a tsunami of falsehoods, innuendo and smear I got dragged back into it and posted again, under severe provocation I bit. I feel like I have soiled my grundies :oops:

Kentish, your observation is one that I have made many times before, on both sites. I have my very clear views and can't fathom where those who disagree are coming from. Likewise they have their clear views and can't fathom mine. So why NOT call the whole thing off?

But no, it just goes round and round and round. Everyone has taken their eye off the ball, the football. I am a simple soul really, I just want to support my football team.

I'm done with it. Please just stop, everyone, pro and anti. Stick to what brought us into the Argyle family in the first place, football. Because where is all this non football navel gazing actually getting us?, And where will it EVER get us?

I'm done with it :wave:
totally agree.i haven't posted on this thread about who is laying the bricks,who is paying ad nauseum.i am only interested in the matches and the squad and management of the aforementioned.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
oldage":2b3l82hc said:
I am supportive of JB and grateful for what he has done for the club and have never insinuated anything in that regard. My concern is that DA has signed 10 players who he says he had been chasing for some time yet who seem to be injury prone. Are these players bought to improve our chances of promotion from last season or to ensure we stay in the first division?
I'd be amazed if Adams signed a 5 year contract if he didn't believe he'd have the backing to give us a shot at promotion from League 1.

Aug 12, 2010
South Wales
I'd say DA's planning for the long term.
Because he's got a club that believe in him and a 5 year contract, so why wouldn't he ?
So who's the daftie DA or the impatient minority ? Hmm..go figure.

May 22, 2006
People like to moan about JB, but he saved the club and tries to run it without sustaining massive losses. A sensible approach.

Some people would prefer a sugar daddy, which JB certainly isn’t. That still comes with problems that still upsets supporters.

Step forward Dale Vince at FGR. He seems to have a few pretentious ideas of his own.

“A star is printed above the player name to signify the club’s promotion to the Football League in 2017, with two stars greyed-out to represent the chairman Dale Vince’s ambition to reach the Championship in the coming seasons.”

https://www.fgr.co.uk/news/2018/fgr-rev ... ummel-kits

Also note his references to their traditional kit colours, which have been green and black for just a couple of seasons. Long term supporters miss their black and white stripes. Supporters will soon be able to order their kits!

It’s not always greener on the other side of the fence and certainly not if you are a supporter of FGR, despite the owner’s insistence. Food for thought (and don’t even start to ask about their catering). Imagine Home Park without pasties.

Feb 17, 2017
pastiesforlife":3do9llne said:
People like to moan about JB, but he saved the club and tries to run it without sustaining massive losses. A sensible approach.

Some people would prefer a sugar daddy, which JB certainly isn’t. That still comes with problems that still upsets supporters.

Step forward Dale Vince at FGR. He seems to have a few pretentious ideas of his own.

“A star is printed above the player name to signify the club’s promotion to the Football League in 2017, with two stars greyed-out to represent the chairman Dale Vince’s ambition to reach the Championship in the coming seasons.”

Also note his references to their traditional kit colours, which have been green and black for just a couple of seasons. Long term supporters miss their black and white stripes. Supporters will soon be able to order their kits!

It’s not always greener on the other side of the fence and certainly not if you are a supporter of FGR, despite the owner’s insistence. Food for thought (and don’t even start to ask about their catering). Imagine Home Park without pasties.

I dont see the problem with showing a bit of ambition to be honest, he has got them out of the football league already and is aiming for the championship. Did you also read they are using the same kit for 2 years to save the fans some money? Not all bad is it.

"Unlike many clubs – the Forest Green Rovers kits will be worn for two seasons – making them greener for the planet – and lighter on the wallet for fans – retailing at the same price as last season’s kit."

He is also building them a brand new stadium called eco park, he did have other developments around it but they were causing problem with a hybrid planning application, so he dropped those and just focussed on the stadium. I cant imagine all owners would do that?

"The park near junction 13 of the M5 in Gloucestershire was linked to plans for a new stadium for Forest Green Rovers.

But the League Two club's owner Dale Vince, who also owns the energy firm Ecotricity, wants to concentrate on building the football ground instead.

Mr Vince said the decision was taken because of "ongoing delays with the planning process".

"It's a pragmatic decision, recognising that Eco Park as proposed was just a bit too much for the council to get their heads round right now," he said.

"The stadium is the most important part in the short term - the thing we need the most, and the easiest thing for planners to approve - so we're removing the obstacles."

Seems like a club really going in the right direction, he is breaking some boundaries with his ideas and its refreshing to see to be honest. Alternatively they could be humping a ball round in the non leagues relying on gate receipts to keep them playing basement football and keep a burger van on site :thumbs:

Nov 18, 2011
Dale Vince seems pretty committed in the long term to FGR as he continued to plough money into the club despite the fact it couldn't get out of the conference for years despite having a big budget.

The issue remains though, Dale Vince won't be around for ever and I don't think FGR will ever be able to be a league club that is sustainable and able to stand on it's own feet without someone putting money into the club.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Anyone been to Irthlingborough?

I have, before and after there was a league football club there!!

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
pastiesforlife":2ma7io2j said:

Pastiesforlife

I have been a regular visitor to New Lawn over the past 4 years and your post is very wide of the actual mark.

When Dale took over the club, attendances could be counted in hundreds. Last season they averaged 3,700+. Im no vegan or even a veggie but their hospitality does a roaring trade and making it harder to get to the bar!

I have yet to meet any of the older supporters who complain about the addition of lime green. The biggest grumble is car parking, which has gone up from ÂŁ4 to ÂŁ5 last season. Even then Dale adds his own unique twist in that they use a local primary school for parking and then donate all takings back to the school. He also has installed charging points for all the electric cars, including his own.

The growth in attendance has come about mostly though encouraging families and they are looked after very well. Young fans of the club are encouraged to become Club Ambassadors which helps to bind the next generation of supporters.

The new ground had a world wide competition for architects. The winner was the Zaha Hadid who also designed the aquatic centre for the 2012 Olympics. Good pedigree. The existing ground produces its own electricity, but the new stadium will go further. But it will also be next to the M5/Stroud and will be looking to expand its fan base.

You may not be able to get a pasty bit you can get a Q Pie:)

Pretentious? No, sticks to his beliefs? Indeed.

C

CG1983

IJN":3dvxsjtm said:

Got some nice Doc Martens there too.

May 8, 2011
Neilz5419":2n52h61s said:
pastiesforlife":2n52h61s said:

I dont see the problem with showing a bit of ambition to be honest, he has got them out of the football league already and is aiming for the championship. Did you also read they are using the same kit for 2 years to save the fans some money? Not all bad is it.

"Unlike many clubs – the Forest Green Rovers kits will be worn for two seasons – making them greener for the planet – and lighter on the wallet for fans – retailing at the same price as last season’s kit."

He is also building them a brand new stadium called eco park, he did have other developments around it but they were causing problem with a hybrid planning application, so he dropped those and just focussed on the stadium. I cant imagine all owners would do that?

"The park near junction 13 of the M5 in Gloucestershire was linked to plans for a new stadium for Forest Green Rovers.

But the League Two club's owner Dale Vince, who also owns the energy firm Ecotricity, wants to concentrate on building the football ground instead.

Mr Vince said the decision was taken because of "ongoing delays with the planning process".

"It's a pragmatic decision, recognising that Eco Park as proposed was just a bit too much for the council to get their heads round right now," he said.

"The stadium is the most important part in the short term - the thing we need the most, and the easiest thing for planners to approve - so we're removing the obstacles."

Seems like a club really going in the right direction, he is breaking some boundaries with his ideas and its refreshing to see to be honest. Alternatively they could be humping a ball round in the non leagues relying on gate receipts to keep them playing basement football and keep a burger van on site :thumbs:

Actually it seems a club going in the completely wrong direction if you look at where the new ground is planned to be compared to where they are based now. There are some new grounds that have moved to out of town and there some that have relocated to another town which this will be.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
CG1983":4rjj7u05 said:
IJN":4rjj7u05 said:

Got some nice Doc Martens there too.

:greensmile: Now ‘Made in China’.

I’m not saying FGR are going to go that way but they could, let’s face it a rich man’s train set isn’t that rare a phenomenon is it? Maybe a vegan one is, but I assume vegans can get fed up as quickly as us meat eaters can.

Feb 23, 2009
IJN":p4yoyhkx said:

Sadly Rushden and Diamonds now play at the Dog and Duck Wellingborough. Meanwhile not far from the site of their old ground a multi million pound Retail Park has been built at Rushden Lakes