It makes you want to weep (striker choice) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

It makes you want to weep (striker choice)

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
I never saw a football league player in Ashley Barnes, and spat my coffee out when Brighton bid £250k after that loan spell. Yet he scores more than most in the Championship - that was a decent bout of proving fans wrong. Reuben Reid did well for himself after Argyle as well. I still don't reckon Barnes will amount to much more though - interesting to see how far he'd drop, or how average he'd look, if Brighton released him.

Apr 9, 2011
ejh":2sgr0zuk said:
I never saw a football league player in Ashley Barnes, and spat my coffee out when Brighton bid £250k after that loan spell. Yet he scores more than most in the Championship - that was a decent bout of proving fans wrong. Reuben Reid did well for himself after Argyle as well. I still don't reckon Barnes will amount to much more though - interesting to see how far he'd drop, or how average he'd look, if Brighton released him.
Every striker we have got rid of recently has come up trumps for their new clubs that must tell us something!!

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
Not really - Cherno Samba, Rory Fallon, George Donnelly, Steve Maclean, Cillian Sheridan, Rory Paterson - Argyle paid them more than what any have earned since I'd hazard to guess.

Mackie, Mason, BWP and SEB - we were not in a position to hold on to these lads for various reasons - but that does not mean to say they were not loved or appreciated by the fans.

The only two I'd put in the bracket of being underappreciated and 'proving us wrong' are Barnes and Reid - our fans were ambivalent to those two leaving, most probably wouldn't have realised they'd left if it wasn't written in the Herald. They went to other clubs and proved they were arguably worth keeping on to. Though I'd still take £250k for Barnes if we had the chance again! There's a definite argument Kenny Cooper has proved many people wrong, but the management never seemed to have faith in him in the first place.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Don't see Reid has proved us wrong. We werre a CCC club and he was on the fringe of the team. He went to League 2 Rotherham and had a good season scoring 20 or so. This got him a move to West Brom where he failed to break through. He is now bACK IN LEAGUE 1, ABOUT THE RIGHT LEVEL FOR HIM AND BELOW WHERE WE WERE WHEN WE LET HIM GO. bARNES HAS SURPRISED ME, HE SEEMED THE RIGHT PLAYER FOR bRIGHTON AT THE RIGHT TIME. hIS STAR SEEMS TO BE A LITTLE ON THE WANE AT THE MOMENT, NOT SURE WHERE HE WILL LEVEL OUT AT, i THINK lEAGUE 1 RATHER THAN THE cHAMPIONSHIP.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
jerryatricjanner":3fvagb4j said:
Don't see Reid has proved us wrong. We werre a CCC club and he was on the fringe of the team. He went to League 2 Rotherham and had a good season scoring 20 or so. This got him a move to West Brom where he failed to break through. He is now bACK IN LEAGUE 1, ABOUT THE RIGHT LEVEL FOR HIM AND BELOW WHERE WE WERE WHEN WE LET HIM GO. bARNES HAS SURPRISED ME, HE SEEMED THE RIGHT PLAYER FOR bRIGHTON AT THE RIGHT TIME. hIS STAR SEEMS TO BE A LITTLE ON THE WANE AT THE MOMENT, NOT SURE WHERE HE WILL LEVEL OUT AT, i THINK lEAGUE 1 RATHER THAN THE cHAMPIONSHIP.

And Reid now currently warms the bench at Yeovil and from time to time comes on as a later sub. This is not exactly a wonder achievement. I agree he started this season like a lion after scoring a few times in the friendly v. Argyle, but his star has fallen. I will not say the swan has become a duck but it heading that way, I reckon.

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
Rotherham got £250k for him didn't they? We let him go for free - That seems like we undervalued him. Maybe we should have just loaned him out in hindsight.

Nov 12, 2012
Why does CF seem reluctant not to give Jared Sims or Matt leconte a start, the latter did well when coming on as sub in previous few games

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
mattym":39a75yx1 said:
Why does CF seem reluctant not to give Jared Sims or Matt leconte a start, the latter did well when coming on as sub in previous few games

I think Fletcher has this right. They're not ready, and at the current stage of thier careers it would be unfair to put the goalscoring burden on them. What we really need is Madjo on the pitch.

Why oh why oh why Feeny and Chaddwick are still drawings a wage from us I have no idea. Neither deserves it.

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
ejh":2st6azwn said:
Greenblooded1":2st6azwn said:
justanotherfan":2st6azwn said:
I seem to remember many quotes referenece "Mackie runs around like a headless chicken", some chicken. :facepalm: :lol: :facepalm: :lol:

I seem to remember we had a manager who thought Jason Puncheon not good enough to play for us, good call eh :facepalm: :lol: :facepalm:

It was always Puncheon's attitude, application, focus and effort that was in doubt, never his talent. Sturrock paid £250k for him, not exactly loose change.

Same problem he had with Beattie at the Scum.

Jul 6, 2011
Womble":38nicb65 said:
mattym":38nicb65 said:

I think Fletcher has this right. They're not ready, and at the current stage of thier careers it would be unfair to put the goalscoring burden on them. What we really need is Madjo on the pitch.

Why oh why oh why Feeny and Chaddwick are still drawings a wage from us I have no idea. Neither deserves it.

:iagree:

Lecoint was a creative midfielder (maybe in the Gurrieri role), desperate circumstance made him a striker. Agree about Sims, hasn't let us down yet.