Investment thread | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Investment thread

Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
As mentioned elsewhere recently on PASOTI, making the most of the American connection does seem like a logical step for argyle. Over the years it's been mentioned a few times and I've often wondered how much leverage there is in it really. However I just happen to listen to a recent episode of price of football and on there they discussed the success Wrexham have had from shirt sales alone due to the ownership and documentary successes. I'm not suggesting this is a path to directly follow but it does show a level of interest in English football that COULD be tapped into.... Americans wanting a team to support.

...... I'm not wishing for some Hollywood owners, etc but if that level of success (financially) can be had with a team from a Welsh town called Wrexham just think what the success would have been with the historical city of Plymouth....I think on the podcast they said they had never seen such success from shirt sales!

Football is changing in a big way over the next 5-10 years and getting an investor creating this kind of coverage could be crucial to any dreams of playing in the top division.

Anyway just a thought.

Jul 24, 2006
Budapest
Writing the previous post reminded me 1-2 weeks ago I was listening to talksport and they had Luke Dowling (think that's his name) former technical director at wba and Watford and at the end of the interview they asked what he was up to next and he said he was involved in an investment group looking to buy a championship club at the time I thought maybe it could be us?

If I can find a link I will post it

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
As mentioned elsewhere recently on PASOTI, making the most of the American connection does seem like a logical step for argyle. Over the years it's been mentioned a few times and I've often wondered how much leverage there is in it really. However I just happen to listen to a recent episode of price of football and on there they discussed the success Wrexham have had from shirt sales alone due to the ownership and documentary successes. I'm not suggesting this is a path to directly follow but it does show a level of interest in English football that COULD be tapped into.... Americans wanting a team to support.

...... I'm not wishing for some Hollywood owners, etc but if that level of success (financially) can be had with a team from a Welsh town called Wrexham just think what the success would have been with the historical city of Plymouth....I think on the podcast they said they had never seen such success from shirt sales!

Football is changing in a big way over the next 5-10 years and getting an investor creating this kind of coverage could be crucial to any dreams of playing in the top division.

Anyway just a thought.

Wrexham only had success from the documentary due to who their owners are

Feb 20, 2024
Woolwell
Whilst we own the stadium and some surrounding land it will not be highly valued due to the restrictive covenants associated with Central Park. We cannot sell it for commercial development therefore of limited value

Oct 10, 2018
When your infrastructure is so far behind the teams you're competing with that's also going to make it difficult to sign players though. It's got to be used on both if we're realistic about the club moving forward, and doing so for the long term, not just the short term.
Agreed, they are mutually exclusive. To me Simon H said pretty much what I would expect of a man in his position.

He was honest didn't give false promises. His honesty about the Foster hiring snd firing, was refreshing too see.

The most fascinating comment for me was his reference to the next man in the dug out, clear the emphasis will be on a coaching approach, despite him interestingly describing Shuey as both manager & coach.

One would have thought we would be looking for a similar type coach/ manager.

However SH did say discussions were still being had, ref profile looking at any possible limitations in our previous recruitment criteria.

If oxford fail to progress beyond the playoffs, I would be keen.on Des Buckingham. Turned Oxford around, has extensive manager experience in varied leagues and cultures all with honest budgets, also international youth coaching, so a great balance or blend of experience.

Has a positive attacking style but with a bit more physicality which would benefit us in both L1 and Championship, and a couple of good oxford players could follow with him ref Tyler Goodrham.

Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
Tbh whilst refreshingly honest the content about various budgets does not give any potential new managers any confidence of anything but a relegation battle or play off push in league . Additionally season TKTS maybe down as a result of these comments that being said is Simon over to close the deal
Without investment we may as well go down this season and build up for another 4 or 5 years however we will be even further behind by then with the extra TV money

Reactions: Said old Green
Oct 10, 2018
Your point on the season ticket holders I hadn't really thought about, yet its a valid point, and it is not a very positive or encouraging promotional dialogue, even if he is being honest and realistic.

You also have to ask the difficult but fundamental ?, with all the hard work and commitment both energy and financially put in by SH, here it comes, Q) is he mentally prepared to hand over the reigns or share a reugn with an investor will to support 1st team and infrastructure. Its not easy to hsnd over the baby when you have been the one bringing it up.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Whilst we own the stadium and some surrounding land it will not be highly valued due to the restrictive covenants associated with Central Park. We cannot sell it for commercial development therefore of limited value

But that's the whole point, Home Park has to remain as a stadium to stop any new future Argyle owner from relocating out to Ivybridge or somewhere.

Apr 2, 2024
Historically, I don’t think we’ve ever appointed a successful manager whilst in the 2nd tier.

Essentially, we lack budget. Was ever thus.

Back to league 1 for another decade I’m afraid.

Hallett is a great chairman but his failure to secure additional investment is a stain on his reign.

Last edited:

Jon with no H

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 6, 2023
Bolton
Historically, I don’t think we’ve ever appointed a successful manager whilst in the 2nd tier.

Essentially, we lack budget. Was ever this.

Hallett is a great chairman but his failure to secure additional investment is a stain on his reign.
Calling it a stain is very harsh, there aren't scores of people who really have the money, rather than just being chancers, queueing up to invest in clubs like Argyle.

I don't imagine Simon Hallett had to barge anyone out of the way when he first got involved in the club.

It's unfortunate the wealthiest person I can think of with any meaningful connection to the city has no interest in football, but it's not that much of a shock that there aren't The Range of alternatives to him that we might wish existed.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016

Essentially, we lack budget. Was ever this.

Hallett said yesterday there’s a couple irons in fire regarding investment and he hoped something could have happened sooner. It’s not his fault if things is taking it’s time or can’t find a investor