I feel sorry for james Brent | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

I feel sorry for james Brent

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
I dont think Reid should ever have been sacked, but I wouldnt brung him back now. Never go backwards. We need someone new in.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
xmastree":3gh3y3jg said:
Cerbera":3gh3y3jg said:
Peter Reid. Still not managing. Now has a squad he could work with, has all the contacts and experience. Is not a bad manager.........

NO! He's not managing for a reason.

Why is the mentality of so many fans to revert to people who have been here before? It is incestuous and inward looking. Have we not learnt from bringing back, and soiling the reputations of, Sturrock and Mariner?

Whether it be CEO, Team Manager, or a player for a particular position we have to spread the net as far as possible and try to get the best available within the constraints. Dunford might be the best option for CEO but explore all options before appointing him. Reid certainly isn't the best option for Manager, so why settle for him merely because he is a perceived improvement on Fletcher?

While we are about it, it would be absolutely pointless to remove Fletcher and replace him with Purse, Wotton, Coughlan, or any other current or recent player without experience of managing at our level or above (Lee Hodges for example), unless a full overhaul of who the manager reports to is undertaken.
Good post on the whole.

Worth pointing out also that pretty much every account from those in the know at the time said Peter Reid had lost the dressing room. He did well in his first season under trying circumstances but it was right that he had to go when he did.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
Fair enough chaps, but with hindsight perhaps we should have made him DoF over Fletcher. Experience and contacts and a 'fatherly' eye.

So, not Reidy then. Agree about Wotton, et al too. Also agree we need a manager who is not the players friend.

So, who is available, realistic and can read a game?

Oct 18, 2011
Some good points already made. For us to understand James Brent, I think we have to look at it the way I think he does, in purely business eyes. You have to consider his banking background to understand how he views risk. So what does that mean is the way forward for Argyle? I think there's 3 options:

1. It takes money to make money, so one way would be to invest in the playing side of Argyle. I don't mean by throwing silly money at it, but by buying a few quality additions. Our team would look very different with a quality CM and CF, results would pick up and attendances and revenue as a result. But buying footballers is a risky strategy when they could get injured or just not perform when they get there. You could hire an experienced manager with a track record of finding quality, which would mitigate those risks to some extent, but not totally.

2. You could put your faith in youth (with players and management staff) and spend as little as possible round the edges (bring in a few loans and cheap signings). Hopefully over time the youth will come good, the team will improve and years down the line it'll come good and at that point your league position and revenue improves.

3. Wind the thing up completely. But this has the knock on effect on your other investments. What use is land next to a football stadium with no football club?

Option 1 is high risk, and there's never in a million years that I believe James Brent will take that level of risk with a business. Option 3 wouldn't be acceptable for him either. It seems obviously he's taking option 2 and as such while we're in this division and ticking over (and I don't think that realistically we'll get relegated, and there will always be a core support who'll keep coming), he'll stick with the strategy, so I don't think we'll see a new manager for some time.

For what it's worth I think it might work. Fletch might come good. The promise of our youngsters might be realised. But I think we're in for a few seasons of mediocrity in a poor league.

Like it or not though, Fletch is here to stay. So I guess the choice is get behind him or go elsewhere. I'm going to get behind him for now.

Jan 29, 2006
Canterbury
If we have to choose a budget option, I wouldn't be disappointed with Lee Hodges.

Just so long as it's not Kevin Hodges! The Warden Hodges would be preferable :lol:

Dec 19, 2008
Pafcintheplace":3r81z1bm said:
If we have to choose a budget option, I wouldn't be disappointed with Lee Hodges.

Just so long as it's not Kevin Hodges! The Warden Hodges would be preferable :lol:

I made a similar comment the other day but then looked up the stats. Carl Fletcher's win ratio is lower than Kevin Hodges' was. How bad is that :facepalm:

I'd like someone like Paul Tisdale.

Aug 22, 2006
hairy j":2qe4p0zc said:
Pafcintheplace":2qe4p0zc said:

I made a similar comment the other day but then looked up the stats. Carl Fletcher's win ratio is lower than Kevin Hodges' was. How bad is that :facepalm:

Interesting suggestion.
When you say someone like Paul Tisdale what do you mean? He's very experienced in the lower leagues having managed since he was 29. So is the Tisdale that you want the same Tisdale that started at 29 (so basically we go out there and find the next bright young hopeful) or the Tisdale that is now (10 years of experience managing in the lower leagues) and if so can you please suggest to me 3 or 4 other names like Tisdale? I can think of one off the top of my head and that's Paul Buckle. Cheers hairy.

Sep 28, 2011
hairy j":38384a0v said:
Pafcintheplace":38384a0v said:

hmmm, not a bad choice hairy, would he ever come here though given the chance?

I suppose it would be really novel for him to manage a side who play in a proper stadium I suppose, and the fact our pitch is the right way around should be a no brainer for him.

:)

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Gary Johnson?

Dec 19, 2008
Tugboat":2z3grb81 said:
Gary Johnson?

James Brent wouldn't have to fork out £10 for a tie. That in itself puts him way ahead of the competition.
Gary-Johnson-Yeovil_2832982.jpg

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
Neither GJ or PT would come here.

Gary seems quite happy at Yeovil and doing alright.

Tis might come, but the cost of ditching Fletch (12 months wages/severance pay) and compensating Exeter for his two year rolling contract would make JB's eyes water.

I think we're stuck with Fletch until JB can hear the Devonport chanting for him to go and see the banners demanding it. Even then, I'm not sure...........

pilgrimmike1

R.I.P
Oct 5, 2010
oggieland
Well I reckon we need a blood and snotter, someone like luggy so perhaps his protege Cocko can do a job. He's done his apprenticeship with one of the best lower league managers who knows how to get out of them and must have learnt a thing or two about it. :scarf:

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Cerbera":27xd94x8 said:
Neither GJ or PT would come here.

Gary seems quite happy at Yeovil and doing alright.

Tis might come, but the cost of ditching Fletch (12 months wages/severance pay) and compensating Exeter for his two year rolling contract would make JB's eyes water.

I think we're stuck with Fletch until JB can hear the Devonport chanting for him to go and see the banners demanding it. Even then, I'm not sure...........
I would have thought some sort of clause in his contract would stop us from paying a full 12 months severance payout. Brent isnt that stupid.

Jan 31, 2005
South Devon
www.pafc.co.uk
Michael Dunford assisted me with some (non-football) work whilst he was still CEO here. I was tremendously impressed with his knowledge of his profession, both nationally & locally.

I recall Rupert writing an article on Michael's 'redundancy' from Argyle, within which he expressed great concern about the actions of the NWO in getting rid of him but despite this, MD has retained a genuine love of our club & returned as a paying spectator as soon as the NWO were ousted.

As I mentioned in my pre-PASB election posts on here, I recently asked him if he would meet up to help advise me with regard to his thoughts on how best to develop the PASB; what the pluses & pit falls may be; as ever he willingly agreed & we'll be meeting up in the near future. I am certain his informed counsel will be of great use.