I feel sorry for james Brent | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

I feel sorry for james Brent

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Mr. Brent bought the club yet he admitted he knew nothing about football, he then formed a board with 4 others, Chief Executive/Finance Director Martin Baker, David Felwick CBE Director, Richard Holliday Director, Peter Jones Director, 4 fine gentleman it would appear, but only one has ever been involved with a football team before, one was involved in financial arrangements with Arsenal and Liverpool.
He inherited a management team of 3, none had ever been involved in managing a football team, 2 had extensive playing careers. He inherited a non - playing staff who had not been paid for a very long time, he inherited the bones of a football team basically made up of youth payers and a few seasoned players. So basically he was starting off with a very empty barrel.
It then appears he has had some local advisors, again no one with football experience.
With a lot of determination and hard work the team managed to survive the season, with the help of a outside consultant.

Come the new season, the outside experience has gone, a few new players and loanees have been brought in but no experienced on or off the field personnel. Carl Fletcher hung his boots up too early, he should have been made a player manage or an assistant to an experienced manager.

When Mr. Brent takes over a hotel does he start with a brand new inexperienced staff, No he does'nt, if he did it would not survive.
I'm sure when Mr. Brent has all his building ventures he does'nt start with out of school employees.

I believe Carl Fletcher could be a good manager in the future but he needs to learn the trade, same as Romain. I think Mr. Brent needs to hire a general manage to oversee the whole Home Park scene, someone who has worked at a football club, some one like Michael Dunford.

Mr. Brent please make these changes before it's too late.

Jul 6, 2005
It's hard to criticise James Brent, I don't know where we would be if he hadn't come in.

However, as he said on a number of occasions, his knowledge of football is very limited, i.e. next to nothing.

However, in a very short time he has become one of those Chairman who if he ran his business interests in the same way he runs the football club, he would go bust pretty soon.

He needs to make some tough decisions for the benefit of the PAFC business arm.

E

Every Saturday

I have a huge amount of time for Mr Brent too

Not only did he save Argyle, he is (I believe) an honest man - a man of integrity

He is by all accounts a very good businessman too - and by making Argyle work as a business and live within its means he is doing absolutely the right thing. Goodness knows, we dont want to get back into financial difficulties again!

Mr Brent deserves our gratitude and respect

Does he really have to know a lot about football? Really?

By all accounts we do have a strong budget - certainly one that has been big enough to recruit 32 players

What Mr Brent does need is someone running the team who knows how to run a team

KCJ

Nov 23, 2011
You reap what you sow.
When James Brent opens a hotel - does he open it with a person who`s previously washed the dishes to a high standard - no I imagine he opens one with someone who has experience managing hotels
When he chooses a contracter for building the new stand will he choose a local brickie who can quickly mix sand and cement - no i imagine he will choose a contractor with experience in stadium development
When he builds his ice rink will he choose someone who mends the fridges in Iceland - no he will give the contract to someone who has experience in building Ice rinks
Why oh why does he therefore insist on running his football club with people who in the main haven`t got any proven experience in what they are doing !

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Every Saturday":1mfk2aza said:
I have a huge amount of time for Mr Brent too

Not only did he save Argyle, he is (I believe) an honest man - a man of integrity

He is by all accounts a very good businessman too - and by making Argyle work as a business and live within its means he is doing absolutely the right thing. Goodness knows, we dont want to get back into financial difficulties again!

Mr Brent deserves our gratitude and respect

Does he really have to know a lot about football? Really?

By all accounts we do have a strong budget - certainly one that has been big enough to recruit 32 players

What Mr Brent does need is someone running the team who knows how to run a team

You're on form tonight. Another post of yours that I agree with pretty much word for word.

I have massive respect for James Brent however PAFC is starting to look like rudderless ship.

Personally I think Fletcher should be replaced. However, I don't see who at the club has the football experience to make the decision of the next appointment.

James, it's time to make some tough decisions and give this club some direction.

We're lost.

B

bandwagon

Just home only 18 miles away but trains not good timing - if you want to feel sorry for anyone, feel for the poor f*ckers who keep turning up to watch this poo!! Even with one off early that should only levelled the field - Fletcher has to go!!

Feb 23, 2008
kingsy
Dockgreen":3crbjkeh said:
No dunford!

Michael Dunford knows more about football in his little finger then us fans know put together .............he lives in plymstock ............ffs mr brent get hold of him and offer him the ceo position as we need some one of that ilk to run the football club

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
Every minute we continue as we are we seriously damage the reputation of the club. It hurts so much every time I see this kind of rubbish.

Dec 2, 2010
Really.....I feel sorry for me and all the others who parted with money for memberships in the hope that things were going to get better.....than I feel sorry for all Argyle fans generally!

2 tough home games could be significant this week. You can bet it will be the lowest attendance of the season against Burton.

Jul 29, 2010
I agree with the OP, football savvyness is missing at Home Park. If he's guilty of anything it's naivety, trusting people who say they know what they're doing in a sphere he doesn't know himself.

Well, be they manager, directors or 'celebrity' fans the advice and input they are giving is not helping Plymouth Argyle FC improve. Losing by one goal rather than two to non league opposition might be a technical improvement but for 12 months of stabilisation work and one of the biggest L2 squads, it's a pathetic achievement.

I too feel sorry for James Brent. I feel he's a decent man and has a good business record. He has however trusted individuals too much and for too long. Loyalty is a noble quality but those who have bent his ear to date have not moved us on. Two experienced and connected appointments are glaringly obviously needed, a CEO and a football manager.

Without them we haven't improved and without them we won't improve. The club is not joined up.