"How sh*t must you be..." | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

"How sh*t must you be..."

GU7Green

✅ Evergreen
May 10, 2022
Godalming, Surrey
Sorry. A deviation from the original post but there is one chant I’ve never ever sung and that’s the “argyle are massive” one. It’s so so bad, it’s budget. Im 43 and will sing more or less anything but I’m pretty sure that’s for 13 year olds. A……nyway

To your original point WG. Interesting one. One I will ponder actually. My instinct is that I don’t know how much the players will notice / mind, but this thread has challenged my thinking.

I suspect it’s more that the players get p’eed off with a negative (abeit self deprecating) chant that suggests they don’t care / aren’t trying.

Apr 9, 2024
I too thought this was embarrassing at Norwich. What must the players think?
Having said that I do like the 'dirty northern bast***s' chant, although I'm not sure Norwich quite got that one!
There are very few original songs nowadays. I've always been impressed by the Lincoln fans who seem to have quite original chants. I remember feeling quite jealous one visit there.

Jun 27, 2019
Having said that I do like the 'dirty northern bast***s' chant, although I'm not sure Norwich quite got that one!
Some of them definitely didn't. I had a look at their singing section when we sang that one up there and noticed this woman throw her hands up and go "What?!", as if we genuinely thought Norwich was up north.

Reactions: NorwichGreen
Mar 1, 2024
Wigan
Argyle’s original chant repertoire extends to Green and White Barmy Army and dirty northern bar stewards at Southampton. We’ve always been terrible at it. Maybe be need to get a consultant in.

Feb 16, 2023
I get what you’re saying but I think that football stadiums have become over-sanitised enough as it is and if we start trying to micro-analyse every single tongue in cheek or self deprecating chant then we won’t have many chants left and we’ll have no terrace humour to get us through when times are bad.
The “let’s pretend we’ve scored a goal” chant x 3 at Brum few years back when 3-0 early was my favourite. I’m sure the players must have even seen the funny side!

Jan 26, 2006
Plymouth
On the subject of chants, one that I dislike is *insert place* is a s-hole, I wanna go home. The main reason is because this is usually chanted as soon as that place is entered. I’m not even sure it was funny once. People choose to pay money to go to these places so it reads as a bit daft to me.

Sep 28, 2022
We have lost a lot of our "original songs" over the years. I think back to Halls of Montezuma, Mollie Malone, He, s here, he, s there, etc etc with regards to Johnny Hore. Even Who, s that Copper with the Helmet On. Oh happy days on away trips with the undercurrent of violence and anxiety till you got back on the coach, errr maybe not so happy after all.!!.

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
Back to the OP. I probably wouldn't join in myself but I might well say it to an opposition fan.

At the end of the day it's just gallows humour from people who travel hundreds of miles to see their team lose on a regular basis.

In the first instance it's not even directed at the team, so quite different to booing or slating your own manager. At most it's a bit of indirect and generally humorous ribbing from fans who are very used to being let down on the road.

What's more, if we had held on to e.g. the 1-0 at Norwich the chant wouldn't have lasted and the players would have been treated with rapturous acclaim at the end of the match, so it's all a bit oversensitive.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
You’re basically agreeing with me. I’m just saying let’s try not to lose any more songs than we already have. “Green and white barmy army” is about all we’ve got nowadays. What happened to Molly Malone? What happened to the Red Robin? What happened to you make me happy when skies are grey? What happened to I was born in the Devonport end?
Molly made a return last night. 😀

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
The “let’s pretend we’ve scored a goal” chant x 3 at Brum few years back when 3-0 early was my favourite. I’m sure the players must have even seen the funny side!

Was that the "Steve Bruce has a big fat head" game? The same match when Nick Chadwick managed to kick the ball out of the ground? I remember there being thousands of us there for that one, I can't remember why that was such a big draw because I think we'd been in the Champ for a while by that point.

Jul 4, 2023
What happened to "get into them and phuck them up"?
That's made a bit of a resurgence lately - heard it at sheff weds and rotherham. Used to like it back in the day but I'd like to think we played more cultured football than that now...

Going back to the thread - Burton away a few years ago (18/19?) featured 'you're nothing special, we lose every week' when they went 1 up, which must have done the boys a world of good, shortly followed by 'there's only one Scotty Wottoon, he used to be sh*te, but now he's alright, walking in a wottoon wonderland' - doubly motivating!

Reactions: Flag Hippo