"How sh*t must you be..." | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

"How sh*t must you be..."

Jun 27, 2019
... we're winning away".

I cringed when I heard this at Norwich and again when it was sung at Rotherham on Friday. I wondered what the players must think about hearing their own fans basically tell everyone how bad their team is.

Turns out the players hate it, if Wrexham's are anything to go by that is (quotes below from Paul Mullin).

“They travel everywhere supporting us and the support they give us is brilliant. But one thing I never want to hear them singing again is about us not winning away from home and 'how **** must you be, we never win away'.

"What do they think that does to the players who are on the pitch representing their team? I don’t know. I know it’s all about fun and games and having a good time but some of the lads were speaking about not liking to hear that.”

Now I've had my doubts confirmed by an actual player, I hope we never hear it again.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I get what you’re saying but I think that football stadiums have become over-sanitised enough as it is and if we start trying to micro-analyse every single tongue in cheek or self deprecating chant then we won’t have many chants left and we’ll have no terrace humour to get us through when times are bad.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2005
I get what you’re saying but I think that football stadiums have become over-sanitised enough as it is and if we start trying to micro-analyse every single tongue in cheek or self deprecating chant then we won’t have many chants left and we’ll have no terrace humour to get us through when times are bad.
Do we have enough now???

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I hated us singing with (all of all people) PNE fans about Foster. Although the vast majority of us thought of Foster, I'd hate to be in the trenches with some of our fans.

Washing our dirty linen in public is never a good thing is it?

Dec 4, 2011
I remember Forest Green singing something similar when we were only 1-0 up on them at home last season.

JadePilgrim

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Aug 7, 2012
I remember Forest Green singing something similar when we were only 1-0 up on them at home last season.
I think they were singing "We're on our way.. to league 2" - In reply to our Championship chant. I thought it was pretty funny, and not really malicious. They were right as well!

Came out at Middlesbrough too. I'm happy with the festive Jingle Bells chant about winning away but this one is awful and I wouldn't join in.

Harrogate Town had the opposite issue earlier in the season when they kept winning away but losing at home. Their fans adapted The Lion Sleeps Tonight to loop over with 'We win away/we win away'.

M

Reactions: Martin Thomas
Dec 30, 2020
It's also painfully unoriginal and unfunny. I can imagine that it might have raised a smile with the medieval peasants hearing it for the first time several centuries ago, but it now gets aired every time a lower table side takes the lead away from home . Have heard it at least three or four times from Argyle fans this season and also Millwall at Home Park (possibly others too). Definitely one that is overdue retirement.

Reactions: Martin Thomas

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
I bet you like the ‘football in a library song’ as well don’t you Cobi?

There is no way any player likes hearing the self depreciating songs. They’re all wa#k. We used to sing original songs.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I bet you like the ‘football in a library song’ as well don’t you Cobi?

There is no way any player likes hearing the self depreciating songs. They’re all wa#k. We used to sing original songs.

You’re basically agreeing with me. I’m just saying let’s try not to lose any more songs than we already have. “Green and white barmy army” is about all we’ve got nowadays. What happened to Molly Malone? What happened to the Red Robin? What happened to you make me happy when skies are grey? What happened to I was born in the Devonport end?