Has Fletcher got Brent over a barrel? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Has Fletcher got Brent over a barrel?

Apr 23, 2006
Holsworthy
I think most of us would agree that Fletcher's most recent comments are not acceptable with his "Whatever happens, happens, whether I'm here or not, I've got a great family at home." Not what you would want to hear as his boss (or any of us for that matter).

I wonder if he's said to Brent, "right sack me then and pay me what I'm due along with Larrieu and Nance-Kivell".

Brent may well be holding out for him to walk away. To pay them all off is going to cost a considerable amount of money.

Is this the only trade where if you're sacked for not doing your job properly (as opposed to being made redundant) you're still paid up what you would have been due anyway? A crazy world we live in! Rafa knows better than most how to work this stunt!

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
It's the same situation as Sturrock, he went gardening on full pay for a year didn't he. Hence the risk of 1 year rolling contracts, JB signed it, he knows the score.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Its a war of attrition though isn't it.Fletcher wont walk and forego a payoff,understandable with a young family to support,and James Brent wont sack him for financial reasons plus he has been very supportive of Fletcher's qualities.This stalemate could run and run.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
But JB has publicly come out and said he fully supports CF, most notably after the dĂŠbacle at Dorchester. Either JB is playing a very canny game of give him enough rope.......or CF believes he is totally bomb proof.

M

Mr Smith

Cerbera":2q0nyz8w said:
But JB has publicly come out and said he fully supports CF, most notably after the dĂŠbacle at Dorchester. Either JB is playing a very canny game of give him enough rope.......or CF believes he is totally bomb proof.

Most likely it's neither of those things and JB does actually support the manager.

JB will have his own targets and objectives for CF, he'll also privately have a cut off point and will pull the trigger when that is hit, not when pasoti says so.

Quite rightly too.

Sep 28, 2011
legend":32py96n4 said:
I think most of us would agree that Fletcher's most recent comments are not acceptable with his "Whatever happens, happens, whether I'm here or not, I've got a great family at home." Not what you would want to hear as his boss (or any of us for that matter).

I wonder if he's said to Brent, "right sack me then and pay me what I'm due along with Larrieu and Nance-Kivell".

Brent may well be holding out for him to walk away. To pay them all off is going to cost a considerable amount of money.

Is this the only trade where if you're sacked for not doing your job properly (as opposed to being made redundant) you're still paid up what you would have been due anyway? A crazy world we live in! Rafa knows better than most how to work this stunt!
I think alot of people are underestimating James Brent tbh.

I've gotta feeling there's alot more to come

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
Mr Smith":1jwkst0j said:
Cerbera":1jwkst0j said:

Most likely it's neither of those things and JB does actually support the manager.

JB will have his own targets and objectives for CF, he'll also privately have a cut off point and will pull the trigger when that is hit, not when pasoti says so.

Quite rightly too.

Which is probably true, I was playing a bit of devil's advocate and a lot of hoping!

However, out of context the CF comments of "it will happen whether I'm here or not" could be construed as dissent.

Every Chairman has a tipping point. There comes a time when either the results aren't good enough (Chelsea) and he goes, or in our situation the results aren't good enough and revenues have dropped to an unsustainable level. You are quite right, JB, but more specifically the board, know where this point is.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I think tomorrows attendance will be the key, results clearly aren't keeping Fletch in the job so I suspect as long as attendances remain relatively strong then Fletch won't go. When attendances and results both begin to slip then I suspect JB will have to act, then again this is coming from someone that expected Fletch to go after defeat at Bradford, so who knows

Dec 2, 2010
You’ve got people going off to war and people with illnesses – that’s pressure. We just play football.
Carl Fletcher

Substitute the end of the above with > We just run hotels.

In what universe would this be acceptable!

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Tomorrow's attendance has the potential to be quite significantly affected by the adverse weather that is forecast so I think it will be impossible to draw any sound conclusions from it.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
" We didn't get it together today, ummm, the lads put in a, ummm, good shift but sometimes you don't get the luck. Still, we all have families to go home to."

Should read:

"We are not good enough at the moment. I have told the lads that there will be a training session tomorrow afternoon, and double training for the next two weeks. It is clear we need to work on set pieces, both attacking and more importantly defending. The three goals they scored were all from set pieces and that is just not acceptable."

Dec 7, 2006
Christ, I'm really beginning to loathe Fletcher's use of 'the lads' all the bleddy time - far, FAR too damn cosy for my liking and suggests to me that he's one of the Happy Clappy one-of-the-gang 'managers'(sic) who would rather cajole than bollock them when they deserve the hair dryer treatment.

Jan 29, 2006
Canterbury
Cerbera":y23nb5ka said:
" We didn't get it together today, ummm, the lads put in a, ummm, good shift but sometimes you don't get the luck. Still, we all have families to go home to."

Should read:

"We are not good enough at the moment. I have told the lads that there will be a training session tomorrow afternoon, and double training for the next two weeks. It is clear we need to work on set pieces, both attacking and more importantly defending. The three goals they scored were all from set pieces and that is just not acceptable."

:iagree:

That's the approach Sturrock & Warnock used to take. Both winners.