Grammer hi-jack , | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grammer hi-jack ,

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
Apparently, it depends on whether the word itself has a 'consonant sound' or a 'vowel sound'. Although 'ubiquitous', starts with a vowel it is pronounced 'you-biquitous', which has a consonant sound. Hence, 'a you-biquitous' sounds correct, whereas 'an you-biquitous' does not.

I confess to being fascinated by the rules of grammar, punctuation and spelling. I don't always get it right but I feel great when I do, because, unlike playing sports or working out numbers, it is one of the few things that I have ever been any good at. I fully accept and respect that other people can't see the point of apostrophes etc but, for me, getting it right makes me feel good... 😊

P.S I have now left myself wide open to my grammar being corrected! :ROFLMAO:
I must confess that I love 'Oxford commas', although I notice that you don't use them 😁

Reactions: Frank Butcher

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Apparently, it depends on whether the word itself has a 'consonant sound' or a 'vowel sound'. Although 'ubiquitous', starts with a vowel it is pronounced 'you-biquitous', which has a consonant sound. Hence, 'a you-biquitous' sounds correct, whereas 'an you-biquitous' does not.

I confess to being fascinated by the rules of grammar, punctuation and spelling. I don't always get it right but I feel great when I do, because, unlike playing sports or working out numbers, it is one of the few things that I have ever been any good at. I fully accept and respect that other people can't see the point of apostrophes etc but, for me, getting it right makes me feel good... 😊

P.S I have now left myself wide open to my grammar being corrected! :ROFLMAO:
I have sent you a PM rather than deflect attention from the original topic

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003

It's a bit like the "science" of i before e except after c

;)
I before E except when your foreign neighbour Keith receives eight counterfeit beige sleighs from feisty, caffeinated weightlifters. Weird.

:) :)

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I must confess that I love 'Oxford commas', although I notice that you don't use them 😁
I was always taught that if you are listing things you never put a comma before 'and' (at the end). It seems logical to me, as you wouldn't write about 'fish, and chips' or 'bread, and butter'. The Oxford comma, of course, is totally the opposite. And that is the beauty (and frustration for those learning English!) of our language. 'Rules' contradict themselves and often more than one option is available, rather than being hard and fast. Debate, discussion and argument can be endless - and in a lot of cases 'both versions are considered acceptable'. :rolleyes:

Whilst I do not normally use the Oxford comma, SG, I am, unfortunately, well versed in the Oxford coma. This is the state of mind that ensues when spending an hour or more attempting to exit the car park at the rear of the Kassam Stadium after yet another Argyle defeat... ;)

Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
I was always taught that if you are listing things you never put a comma before 'and' (at the end). It seems logical to me, as you wouldn't write about 'fish, and chips' or 'bread, and butter'. The Oxford comma, of course, is totally the opposite. And that is the beauty (and frustration for those learning English!) of our language. 'Rules' contradict themselves and often more than one option is available, rather than being hard and fast. Debate, discussion and argument can be endless - and in a lot of cases 'both versions are considered acceptable'. :rolleyes:

Whilst I do not normally use the Oxford comma, SG, I am, unfortunately, well versed in the Oxford coma. This is the state of mind that ensues when spending an hour or more attempting to exit the car park at the rear of the Kassam Stadium after yet another Argyle defeat... ;)
I am just a rebel when it comes to commas. Oxford just legitimises me throwing them in at every opportunity :)

Reactions: Mark58

Bovey Green lady

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019
I am just a rebel when it comes to commas. Oxford just legitimises me throwing them in at every opportunity :)
It's the loss of some words that bothers me! Especially the use of "two times" when there is a perfectly good word "Twice". As for "Thrice" I seem to be the only person aware of it's existence! OK! Grump over!

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
I recommend a reading of ‘eats shoots and leaves’ by Lynn Truss.
There was a similar one in the 50s - yes I’m that old!! 😂

Sir Vivian Fuchs on Everest.

Be careful where you put the comma.