Grammer hi-jack , | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grammer hi-jack ,

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
these writings are so enjoyable I have to clear up a repeated typo it's 1930s not 1930's i.e. it's plural not possessive (this is an ubiquitous error found everywhere from advertising to newspaper copy)
I blame the spell checker on Word which insists on highlighting these...

You are grammatically and in every other way correct, so I have amended....

I have no problem with people spotting such things....I find all kinds of typos after I have posted....

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
He is and was mate but it's a pet hate of mine.

I love grammar mate I really do, but a football website should be free of such things.

If people feel so hurt by hit, PM's will do.

• Haha
Reactions: Andy Tall
these writings are so enjoyable I have to clear up a repeated typo it's 1930s not 1930's i.e. it's plural not possessive (this is an ubiquitous error found everywhere from advertising to newspaper copy)
I totally agree about poor grammar and spelling, there are so many instances of it anywhere on social media. I understand what Ian is saying about the fact that this is not a grammar website but that doesn’t mean people shouldn’t write with the correct use of our language.
On that point I feel I have to point out that saying “an ubiquitous error” is incorrect, it should be a ubiquitous error!😉

Reactions: Mark58

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
To be fair, I know JJ was being helpful but we've had a few on here that use it as a weapon when they are losing their argument.

As I say it's a pet hate of mine.

Jul 13, 2006
I totally agree about poor grammar and spelling, there are so many instances of it anywhere on social media. I understand what Ian is saying about the fact that this is not a grammar website but that doesn’t mean people shouldn’t write with the correct use of our language.
On that point I feel I have to point out that saying “an ubiquitous error” is incorrect, it should be a ubiquitous error!😉
And full stop after "spelling" and "incorrect". That's the problem.....!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
😁
I don’t think so, I think a comma is correct in both cases.
However, starting a sentence with “And” is just wrong!🤦🏻‍♂️
I think we’d better stop this now before we get banned!😉
Let’s not detract from these excellent OGAAT pieces.

We only ban prats. 🤣

Reactions: Bananarette
Jul 13, 2006
😁
I don’t think so, I think a comma is correct in both cases.
However, starting a sentence with “And” is just wrong!🤦🏻‍♂️
I think we’d better stop this now before we get banned!😉
Let’s not detract from these excellent OGAAT pieces.
That's what i meant when you start calling people out...

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I always thought that it was 'a' before a consonant and 'an' before a vowel

Reactions: Bananarette

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
I always thought that it was 'a' before a consonant and 'an' before a vowel
Apparently, it depends on whether the word itself has a 'consonant sound' or a 'vowel sound'. Although 'ubiquitous', starts with a vowel it is pronounced 'you-biquitous', which has a consonant sound. Hence, 'a you-biquitous' sounds correct, whereas 'an you-biquitous' does not.

I confess to being fascinated by the rules of grammar, punctuation and spelling. I don't always get it right but I feel great when I do, because, unlike playing sports or working out numbers, it is one of the few things that I have ever been any good at. I fully accept and respect that other people can't see the point of apostrophes etc but, for me, getting it right makes me feel good... 😊

P.S I have now left myself wide open to my grammar being corrected! :ROFLMAO: