Grammer hi-jack , | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Grammer hi-jack ,

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
I was always taught that if you are listing things you never put a comma before 'and' (at the end). It seems logical to me, as you wouldn't write about 'fish, and chips' or 'bread, and butter'. The Oxford comma, of course, is totally the opposite. And that is the beauty (and frustration for those learning English!) of our language. 'Rules' contradict themselves and often more than one option is available, rather than being hard and fast. Debate, discussion and argument can be endless - and in a lot of cases 'both versions are considered acceptable'. :rolleyes:

Whilst I do not normally use the Oxford comma, SG, I am, unfortunately, well versed in the Oxford coma. This is the state of mind that ensues when spending an hour or more attempting to exit the car park at the rear of the Kassam Stadium after yet another Argyle defeat... ;)

Ah, the Oxford comma 😎. The most fun when you’re working with both British and American proof-readers. Many a debate (nay, argument) has been had in my company.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
As I was walking down the street I met my parents, Wendy and Mary.

Sometimes, the Oxford comma is needed!
As with splitting the infinitive, though, there's always a way to rephrase things: As I was walking down the street I met Wendy, Mary and my parents.

Now there's another topic: I've noticed that Americans in particular seem to (positively :sneaky:) go out of their way to split that darned infinitive.

Reactions: Bovey Green lady

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
As with splitting the infinitive, though, there's always a way to rephrase things: As I was walking down the street I met Wendy, Mary and my parents.

Now there's another topic: I've noticed that Americans in particular seem to (positively :sneaky:) go out of their way to split that darned infinitive.
Being pedantic, could we also insert an extra comma into this? :D

As I was walking down the street, I met Wendy, Mary and my parents.

Frank Butcher

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch

Frank Butcher

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch

Or indeed: As I was walking down the street I met Wendy, Mary, and my parents.

Americans also, in my experience, love the OC.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Being pedantic, could we also insert an extra comma into this? :D

As I was walking down the street, I met Wendy, Mary and my parents.
We could but there's absolutely no need for it. Far too many commas tend to be thrown around.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Or indeed: As I was walking down the street I met Wendy, Mary, and my parents.

Americans also, in my experience, love the OC.
Quite, but it's still a far more elegant construction than the earlier version and it obviates the need for the OC if, like me, you don't like to use it. The original positively demanded it.

Reactions: Frank Butcher

Frank Butcher

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Quite, but it's still a far more elegant construction than the earlier version and it obviates the need for the OC if, like me, you don't like to use it. The original positively demanded it.

👍 I never used it in my writing. My papers were proof read by the UK marketing department and sent to the US for sign off. We learnt to re-read everything they returned as OCs were inserted everywhere. We then used to take the OCs out and resubmit hoping for a different approval route. It’s funny how the little things matter to some people.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
👍 I never used it in my writing. My papers were proof read by the UK marketing department and sent to the US for sign off. We learnt to re-read everything they returned as OCs were inserted everywhere. We then used to take the OCs out and resubmit hoping for a different approval route. It’s funny how the little things matter to some people.
Knowing the insularity of Americans they possibly thought you were genuinely wrong. Your spelling of 'learnt' reminds me of when I first applied for a major American accreditation for my business in the late 90s. I sent them all my literature and, when they came over to visit in person (entirely at my expense - ouch!) they'd highlighted words such as 'learnt' and 'spelt' because they'd never come across them in their lives. These were highy educated, well-travelled people in the 40 - 60-odd year-old range, and they didn't have a bleedin' clue about such nuances of spelling.

I blame Noah Webster for dumbing everything down for them.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I've now changed the title, so see whether I can wean you all off this thread.

It should if my plan works, jar so badly, you won't even be able to look at it.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I've now changed the title, so see whether I can wean you all off this thread.

It should if my plan works, jar so badly, you won't even be able to look at it.
Looks fine to me. :ROFLMAO: But seriously, what's the beef if a few of us discuss the vagaries of our rich and crazy language? It's not as if we're being grammar Nazis or anything.