Goalkeepers | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goalkeepers

Jul 6, 2009
It was another terrible decision by Fletcher to bring in Gilmartin. Cole is not great but is so much better than Gilmartin. Why spend another wage on a goalkeeper when Larrieu is more than adequate for a reserve goalkeeper. Put the money towards the wages of a striker who scores goals in League 2.

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
If Gilmartin had caught the ball rather than needlessly punch it we would be in the area semi-final right now. I'm not sure why he is starting over Jake Cole.

May 22, 2006
Gilmartin's record is starting to get similar to Nicky Hammond's. At least he's managed a couple of draws. Jake Cole has always saved us more points than he's lost. He's a decent keeper and not done a lot wrong. Would like to see him back on Saturday and before Gilmartin loses confidence. RG also seems decent and may benefit from being out of the firing line for a while.

Feb 21, 2011
Sam Barker":3e7mb3fx said:
If Gilmartin had caught the ball rather than needlessly punch it we would be in the area semi-final right now. I'm not sure why he is starting over Jake Cole.
Don't think.for one minute Jake would have come flying off his line and caught that do you? They are both equally poor.

Nov 12, 2012
MMM hands up if you remember a Luke McCormick, when he 1st broke into the Argyle team he looked nervious coming for crosses but was a good shot stopper, however he flurished into a very good keeper, sme could be said for Ro, when he 1st game he did'nt commend the air ball either and was one of the reasons sturrock in this 1st stint often chopped and changed between the two. Truth is Gilmartin is early in his development and looks like he has potential Cole on the other hand started very poorly last season but for me has shown the greatest improvement, bar one hash this season but were all entitled to one of those.

Feb 4, 2011
cornwall
The only time you will see any of our keepers catch a ball is pre match when someone lumps balls over from the touch line.no one ever tries to obstruct from catching the ball . This exercise is completly useless and only highlights the standard of coaching we have at Argyle .

Mar 7, 2009
People assume because Gilmartin is a few inches taller than Cole then he will be more commanding of his area. Not sure where that theory has come from, but last night proved it was complete tosh. Stay on your line, catch it or punch it clear of the danger. Not 4 yards to their best striker.

Cole back in please.

Oxford never looked like scoring. It's so frustrating because Rene had a solid game, his handling was good, yes he is anchored to his line but better that than flapping at a cross. Oh, wait a minute......
That cross was so regulation and routine it was embarrassing how he dropped it. Saying that, it was one mistake and it lost us the match. Such is the goalkeepers lot....

I think both keepers are ok at this level. I've seen many of Argyle's games over the last two seasons in L2 and I've not seen an opposition keeper who is great at commanding his area and regularly coming out to the six yard line and beyond to make a catch or confident punch. I look out for this because I'm a keeper. (who has trouble with crosses, I know what its like. It aint easy! ;) )

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
BadBoy":jalj6cll said:
Sam Barker":jalj6cll said:
Don't think.for one minute Jake would have come flying off his line and caught that do you? They are both equally poor.

He hardly had to come flying off his line though did he? It looked easier for him to catch it rather than punch, he made the wrong decision and it cost us.

Z

zzzzdougieanderson

i thought cole was probably our best player when he was dropped albeit he made two late errors against burton on crosses which lost us the game

cole is clearly more experienced and imho better than gilmartin at this stage of his career

could it be gilmartin (who was a fletcher buy) is the future and cole is to be sold (ala purse) ???

worrying times

TCL

Jan 25, 2012
Can't blame the keepers for conceeding a goal or two it's the forwards that need to take the blame for not putting the ball in the net.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
John_Doe":2r8nsc6v said:
Oxford never looked like scoring. It's so frustrating because Rene had a solid game, his handling was good, yes he is anchored to his line but better that than flapping at a cross. Oh, wait a minute......
That cross was so regulation and routine it was embarrassing how he dropped it. Saying that, it was one mistake and it lost us the match. Such is the goalkeepers lot....

I think both keepers are ok at this level. I've seen many of Argyle's games over the last two seasons in L2 and I've not seen an opposition keeper who is great at commanding his area and regularly coming out to the six yard line and beyond to make a catch or confident punch. I look out for this because I'm a keeper. (who has trouble with crosses, I know what its like. It aint easy! ;) )

But he didn't drop it. He chose to punch the ball clear but rather than properly punching it out into a safe area he allowed the ball to bounce off his hands back into the centre of the penalty. Whether or not Cole or any other particular goalkeeper would have done better is irrelevant really. It was poor goalkeeping and it ended up costing Argyle a goal. The only thing I will say in Gilmartin's defence is that mistakes by goalkeepers are often more more heavily punished than mistakes by outfield players - that's an obvious consequence of the nature of their position, but then it's also a reason why obvious mistakes by goalkeepers cannot be so easily tolerated.