Goalkeeper (Alex Palmer signs from WBA - confirmed) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goalkeeper (Alex Palmer signs from WBA - confirmed)

Jul 19, 2018
London
argyle.life
First Impressions: Alex Palmer

With Rovers' goal coming after Palmer's substitution, that leaves the loanee having played 126 minutes without conceding against EFL quality opposition in pre-season. Given that, the early signs are positive for Palmer, Ryan Lowe and Plymouth Argyle. The 'keeper has demonstrated skills of shot-stopping and distribution to a level of which is seemingly greater than that of last season's first choice.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
NickSS":1w7to9w8 said:
First Impressions: Alex Palmer

With Rovers' goal coming after Palmer's substitution, that leaves the loanee having played 126 minutes without conceding against EFL quality opposition in pre-season. Given that, the early signs are positive for Palmer, Ryan Lowe and Plymouth Argyle. The 'keeper has demonstrated skills of shot-stopping and distribution to a level of which is seemingly greater than that of last season's first choice.

Wouldn’t disagree with that. I’d say that I think he’ll get the nod for starting the Crewe game.

May 28, 2015
Only seen him at torquay which was his first game and my opinion was that he looked very slow off his line. There was one through ball in the first half where he should have been out at the striker and he wasn't. The striker had the whole goal to aim at but luckily for palmer he hit it straight to him. If that was a top league 2 striker like Maynard or Vaughan it would have been a goal. I know that's just one mistake but my poing about him being slow does worry me. To press you need a high line which is what lowe wants. Our defence isnt exactly the quickest so our keeper is going to need a good starting position and a high line to sweep up any long balls before the opposing strikers get on the end of them. For me cooper is much faster and more mobile and would be more suited to this role. But as I said that was only one game and I didnt exactly see palmer sprinting so I'm open minded and definitely not criticising him. From what I've heard hes a good shot stopper and his distribution seems good. But for me I think cooper may be more suited for us. But I trust Lowe to make the right choice and if he feels palmer gets the nod then that is fine with me I'm sure both of them will get plenty of chances this season!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
In view of your other post today about Wootton or Peck, it may be that you are biased towards our youth players. Not a criticism.
I haven’t seen any friendlies but, based on Pasoti and Plymouth Live reports, it would appear that Palmer will be the likely starter.
If so, I would hope that Cooper will start against Leyton Orient in the Carabao Cup.

Sep 2, 2008
PAFC123":f4pob3mv said:
Only seen him at torquay which was his first game and my opinion was that he looked very slow off his line. There was one through ball in the first half where he should have been out at the striker and he wasn't. The striker had the whole goal to aim at but luckily for palmer he hit it straight to him. If that was a top league 2 striker like Maynard or Vaughan it would have been a goal. I know that's just one mistake but my poing about him being slow does worry me. To press you need a high line which is what lowe wants. Our defence isnt exactly the quickest so our keeper is going to need a good starting position and a high line to sweep up any long balls before the opposing strikers get on the end of them. For me cooper is much faster and more mobile and would be more suited to this role. But as I said that was only one game and I didnt exactly see palmer sprinting so I'm open minded and definitely not criticising him. From what I've heard hes a good shot stopper and his distribution seems good. But for me I think cooper may be more suited for us. But I trust Lowe to make the right choice and if he feels palmer gets the nod then that is fine with me I'm sure both of them will get plenty of chances this season!
I'm not sure he'll have a choice. I believe that all his talk of 'Its a straight fight for the starting shirt', is exactly that, just talk. It wouldn't surprise me if the only reason WBA let Palmer go on a season long loan was if he was going to be playing barring injury/suspension. It seemed to me that was also the reason Macey kept starting last season.

May 28, 2015
davie nine":2bdyqu4k said:
In view of your other post today about Wootton or Peck, it may be that you are biased towards our youth players. Not a criticism.
I haven’t seen any friendlies but, based on Pasoti and Plymouth Live reports, it would appear that Palmer will be the likely starter.
If so, I would hope that Cooper will start against Leyton Orient in the Carabao Cup.

No absolutely not biased towards our youth players although with my two posts today could see why you would think that. I have never really thought much of our youth players but they do excite me a little this season looking at some of them and how they have performed in pre season I think it's the best group of young players we've had for a while and I really hope they can push on and do well. But going back to cooper and palmer my post was purely on what I've seen on both of them and how we are looking to play. I genuinely think cooper seems a bit more mobile which I think is what will be needed. However like i said palmer didnt have to come off his line much against torquay as it was a smaller pitch and other than the through ball I spoke about he didnt really have to come off of his line but he was very slow at doing so that time. But it was his first game so could of just been rusty. Like I say I've not seen him since and everyones reviews on him seem to be pretty good. So if he gets the nod that's absolutely fine by me and I'm sure he will do well. Just like I said I personally think cooper may suit us a bit more this season that what palmer will espcially at home on what is probably one of the biggest pitches in the league. Push our defence on the halfway line to press and there is a lot of space to run in behind our very slow defence so I feel we need a pacey keeper with a good starting position to sweep. But I could be completely wrong and palmer might be fanstastic at coming out and sweeping up

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
davie nine":3pkbtbta said:

This is basically what Ryan Lowe has said will happen (quoted in one of the articles after Saturday's game). Whichever keeper starts against Crewe (and Lowe was still saying that it could be either), the other one will start against Orient.

Sep 2, 2008
The Doctor":17bujvm2 said:
davie nine":17bujvm2 said:

This is basically what Ryan Lowe has said will happen (quoted in one of the articles after Saturday's game). Whichever keeper starts against Crewe (and Lowe was still saying that it could be either), the other one will start against Orient.
Like I say, all talk. Palmer will start and stay as No.1 for as long as he is fit and/or doesn't monumentally mess up over an extended period of time. If it was still a contest then Cooper would have at least got the whole of the second half on Saturday.