Goal tally (after two new coaches arrive) | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Goal tally (after two new coaches arrive)

Aug 27, 2016
In the last three games we have conceded nine goals and scored five,I think conceding nine in three games you are not expected to collect any points on the other hand scoring five you wouldn’t expect to be dropping many points. This latest goals against tally coincides with the arrival of two new coaches ,is this coincidence or reality.

Reactions: Greenheart

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
New defensive coach comes in and we average conceding 3 goals a game. And these weren’t even played against any teams in the top third. Not great at all.

Reactions: Mork

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
That's the short term though, coaches will be judged on long-term results. It could easily be that new coaching practices have disrupted what was there before (and we've conceded lots of late goals before they arrived) but the end result will be a much improved defence.

I know I'm being a massive 'green tint' but we know everything about the club is geared to long-term results with the acceptance of potential short-term pain, so it seems pointless to look at sample sizes of three games.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
We could put 10 men behind the ball & still concede- is the new Defensive Coach tinkering to much- the understanding the Defensive Unit had at the start of the season has gone- the once clear wavelength they all had has disappeared
Losing Brendan has been massive but the only difference in the last couple of games as been James coming into the starting line up & Romoney coming in on loan- has the introduction of those 2 players really upset the balance & cohesion that was once there- something is clearly wrong
Whether it be players losing form at the same time or the coaches changing the way they set up to defend the players & the coaches need to look at themselves & dissect what has gone horribly wrong in the last 3 games

Dec 30, 2020
I think this is pretty wild speculation. We've no idea what the coaches are working on and it's much too early to assess their impact

Two factors that I think are more likely to have affected the past three games in particular:

1) We've used five different centre backs over the three games

2) Randell and Critchlow coming into the side (even though the former has played excellently) has changed the age profile of the team. At the time of the late goals against Lincoln and Fleetwood in particular, we had very few experienced players on the pitch. It reminded me of last season's team, which was also overly-reliant on young players and had a tendency to crumble under pressure

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I think, taking a step back, fingers can't realistically be pointed at coaches for what has happened over the last 3 games.
The management team can't be accused of 'tinkering' when injuries have forced changes both immediately before and then during games.
Due to Covid/injury we've had to make significant changes in key areas:
Bolton for Wilson.
Randell for Houghton.
Critchlow for Gillesphie (who himself was effectively an understudy for Galloway).
To a lesser extent you could also say:
Broom for Mayor.
A striker for Hardie.

What is disappointing is that, with the exception of the strikers who have filled in for Hardie and done well, and to a lesser extent Randell who has looked a decent understudy for Houghton, the rest of those coming in have largely wasted the chance given to them by injuries to those players in front of them selection wise.

Oct 23, 2013
I thought Critchlow looked quite raw/nervous coming on but he improved. Young player who hasn't had chance to play with this group of players much so possibly understandable. I remember thinking a loanee from Bristol City - was it Vymer? looked really casual on his first home appearance but he was excellent after a couple of games so I will reserve judgement.

I think Randell will be ever present in the first team next year, he looks excellent. Watched a few of Torquay's games online at the end of the season when he was on loan. Mainly played wide but when they moved him to the centre during final stages of games they really started to tick. Saw the odd mistake from him last night but understandable.

I think Greenpilled comments re young players' resilience when under pressure (I guess this is exaggerated late in games due to tiredness and level of jeopardy) is very relevant here. The experienced pros need to support.

Seen various replays for equaliser. I think Cooper was left quite exposed battling on his own. He still allowed himself to get a bit bullied. Given his progress so far I feel confident he will learn from this. Just frustrating that it is a goal that loses us 2 points that provides this learning opportunity rather than a meaningless consolation.

Quite a green-tint post but I recognise we do need to turn the results around. I really don't want to return to the shell shocked defending of last season week after week.

Jul 28, 2020
The issue is, in my opinion, that the 3-5-2 system that we play is a passing- and- attacking formation. It’s not a resilient or a defensive formation. It’s lovely when the team is confident and playing well ( as we saw in those game against SWfC earlier in the season).

But we’re not going to be playing confidently and we’ll, throughout the course of a 46 match season- and no manager can expect that. So how do we ensure that we still pick up the 3 points when below par?

We need to get past the “love in” with the 3-5-2 wing- back system, which we play. In my opinion, there are far too many gaps and holes in that system to make it an effective or resilient defensive formation, capable of winning promotion out of EFL1.

What’s the answer ? This is something that Shuey and the club’s hierarchy will need to wrestle with. There is an issue- which has led to alarming variances of form and results over the last two seasons.

My solution ( for what it’s worth ) is to play a 3-5-2 system- which is capable of switching into 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 when needed. How do we do that ? You would start by ditching the wing- back system and play a 3-1, at the back- with an outstanding defensive midfielder ( DM) sitting just in front of the back 3. The DM could move back into the 3 to make up a 4,and then back into the midfield to make a 3- whenever that was needed. Also to play with two outstanding and hard working wingers. These have always been the staple of any successful Argyle sides, during my time supporting the club.

Jan 12, 2020
Clearly anyone talking about a new ‘defensive coach’ didn’t bother reading what Dewsnip wrote about the coaching set up at Argyle now.
Mark Hughes was not brought in to be a coach specifically focused on the defence.

Jul 12, 2016
Clearly anyone talking about a new ‘defensive coach’ didn’t bother reading what Dewsnip wrote about the coaching set up at Argyle now.
Mark Hughes was not brought in to be a coach specifically focused on the defence
Seems strange how our defence has suddenly started leaking goals since the new coaches arrival.
Too many cooks?

Jul 12, 2016
To think that 2 coaches come in, wave their magic wands and we stop conceding goals is not going to happen in the real world. Need at least a dozen matches before being able to judge anything meaningfully.
We have conceded more goals since they arrived so are going backwards.Thought the idea was to improve us?

• Eye-Roll
Reactions: Drake

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Seems strange how our defence has suddenly started leaking goals since the new coaches arrival.
Too many cooks?

That's correllation, not necessarily causation.

Reactions: Drake

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
I don't know whether this is typical, but the fact that nearly 50% of our conceded goals occur within the first or last 10 minutes of a match is massively concerning. Feels very much like we go to pot when the pressure ramps up.
Screenshot 2022-01-26 153644.png
Here's another equally damning way of looking at it, which shows that we concede nearly 60% of our goals in the first and final 15 minutes.
Screenshot 2022-01-26 154013.png

Sourced from an awesome site, incidentally:

Reactions: rsp4 and Biggs