Giro d’Italia | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Giro d’Italia

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Not been commented on (surprisingly), but with Remco's withdrawal after testing positive for Covid, Geraint now wears pink going into week 2, albeit with only a 2sec lead over Roglic and Teo Geoghegan Hart up to third.

Belfast Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
Not been commented on (surprisingly), but with Remco's withdrawal after testing positive for Covid, Geraint now wears pink going into week 2, albeit with only a 2sec lead over Roglic and Teo Geoghegan Hart up to third.
I feel sorry for Remco. I hope this is not going to be remembered as the Giro X won but Remco would have

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Just seen on Twitter that Intermarche's Sven Erik Bystrøm not starting because of Covid: he tested positive but was cleared to ride yesterday after being checked by the UCI medics as he was asymptomatic, but developed symptoms last night, so he's out.

Now that would be a thing if Covid were to sweep through the teams over the coming fortnight...

BTW - Intermarche are also without Rein Taaramäe but he tested negative for Covid (he's got a stomach bug).

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Why are they testing some of the fittest people on the planet when they are healthy?

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Because even fit athletes can be laid low with Covid? It doesn't matter if they have mild symptoms, a couple of crappy days in the saddle can blow their chances of winning the Giro, so makes sense to withdraw them and get them back in shape for, say Le Tour. And even if they're asymptomatic, if they're infectious they can still infect other riders who may end up getting poorly. Like I said, it would be a farcical race if half the top riders ended up pulling out next week because they've all gone down with Covid.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Because even fit athletes can be laid low with Covid? It doesn't matter if they have mild symptoms, a couple of crappy days in the saddle can blow their chances of winning the Giro, so makes sense to withdraw them and get them back in shape for, say Le Tour. And even if they're asymptomatic, if they're infectious they can still infect other riders who may end up getting poorly. Like I said, it would be a farcical race if half the top riders ended up pulling out next week because they've all gone down with Covid.
Covid should be treated like a cold now. We’ve all been vaccinated, the vulnerable can still be vaccinated again and it is far less serious than it was. Remco won the time trial and then had to withdraw the same day. It’s crazy.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Anyway, back to the cycling. Good to see G in the pink jersey and I think Tao looks strong too.

Reactions: Quinny

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Covid should be treated like a cold now. We’ve all been vaccinated, the vulnerable can still be vaccinated again and it is far less serious than it was. Remco won the time trial and then had to withdraw the same day. It’s crazy.
Perhaps more like the flu than a cold.
Around the world a couple of thousand are still dying each week (but not the hundred thousand of a while back)
Do the organisers require competitors to be vaccinated?

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Perhaps more like the flu than a cold.
Around the world a couple of thousand are still dying each week (but not the hundred thousand of a while back)
Do the organisers require competitors to be vaccinated?
I think my point is that with the flu/cold the team will decide what’s best with the rider, but with covid rules that were put in place two years ago are taking the top riders out when they are seemingly healthy.

I’m not an anti vax covid conspiracy person as you can see from my posts on the subject.

Reactions: Belfast Green

Belfast Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
I think my point is that with the flu/cold the team will decide what’s best with the rider, but with covid rules that were put in place two years ago are taking the top riders out when they are seemingly healthy.

I’m not an anti vax covid conspiracy person as you can see from my posts on the subject.
Is there still a fear relating to the implications of long COVID??? Anyway, as you said, it was great to see G and Tao G-H doing really well.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon

We don't know if Remco was feeling the effects of Covid or not. Well, we kind of do because he might of won stage 9, but only by a second over Geraint: it was hardly the dominant ride from the opening stage, was it? He said himself post-stage it wasn't his best TT, so he was probably feeling ill and was tested by the team, and they then all decided (inc Remco) to call it a day if they felt he couldn't recover enough.

And, as I said before, for whatever reason Bystrøm was tested but it was decided it was OK for him to ride ... until he started feeling ill last night and then they decided it was best for him to withdraw.

These are team / rider decisions. Not the organisers or the UCI.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Watching the Giro now.
Drenching wet (again) and the commentators telling me how cold it is.
Italy in May!!!

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Watching the Giro now.
Drenching wet (again) and the commentators telling me how cold it is.
Italy in May!!!
Looks like a lot of them only wanted to do the last 70km because it’s cold at the top of the mountain. 😂 They clearly never did the 100 mile Dartmoor classic in 2013! 😂😂

Nov 18, 2011
Is there still a fear relating to the implications of long COVID??? Anyway, as you said, it was great to see G and Tao G-H doing really well.
Gianni Moscon is a rider who's still suffering from Long Covid. He's gone from nearly winning Paris Roubaix a few years ago to today where he's nowhere near winning any kind of race.