Giro d’Italia | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Giro d’Italia

Belfast Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
I look forward to this day each year, the start of the Giro. Yes, I enjoy the tough races in Flanders in the Spring but it is the Giro and the Tour de France that lubricate my cassette (not so much the Vuelta). I love Italy, so watching the peleton make its way around that lovely country is a huge pleasure. Two very strong favourites in Rogliç and Evenepoel this year, maybe “G” Thomas for the bottom step of the podium? Anyway, anyone who wants to chat about the race as it progresses, here’s the place!

Reactions: Bernie Bernbaum

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I look forward to this day each year, the start of the Giro. Yes, I enjoy the tough races in Flanders in the Spring but it is the Giro and the Tour de France that lubricate my cassette (not so much the Vuelta).

You're not the first person I heard share that sentiment regarding the Vuelta. I suspect that you almost get the feeling that, because its always held after Le Tour and usually filled by those who failed to make the roster for France, it is in some way the lesser event. Maybe they should alternate the Giro and Vuelta on the calender ever year....

Belfast Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
You're not the first person I heard share that sentiment regarding the Vuelta. I suspect that you almost get the feeling that, because its always held after Le Tour and usually filled by those who failed to make the roster for France, it is in some way the lesser event. Maybe they should alternate the Giro and Vuelta on the calender ever year....
Partly that Quinny but also that the course is often quite tedious… many stages are long drawn out affairs on wide tarmac roads followed by a bloody great wall at the end! Just doesn’t have the spectacle of the Giro or the Tour, I think

Leo's Grandad

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
I like watching all three of the grand tours in the afternoons while working. Some of the scenery and camerawork is excellent. I've not had chance to see the Giro so far but will be watching tomorrow.

Reactions: Belfast Green

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Hoping todays stage is going to have some fire works at the end. Been very slow so far.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Just watched on delay. Heavens but that was dreadful.
Surely that was a chance to show how you were feeling. Instead, Poga and Evenpoel showed they were still strong. Needed a team to soften them up a bit imo.

Reactions: Belfast Green

Belfast Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
Surely that was a chance to show how you were feeling. Instead, Poga and Evenpoel showed they were still strong. Needed a team to soften them up a bit imo.
Exactly Daz. I had hoped that maybe Ineos would have a go at cracking the two of them, at least make them suffer a bit. But it was a procession, albeit in magnificent scenery!
Edited to add: couldn’t some of the other teams, who have “outsider” GC riders, gang up on the two and really work them over? Or is it a case of you cannot win the Giro this early but you can lose it?

Nov 18, 2011
Exactly Daz. I had hoped that maybe Ineos would have a go at cracking the two of them, at least make them suffer a bit. But it was a procession, albeit in magnificent scenery!
Edited to add: couldn’t some of the other teams, who have “outsider” GC riders, gang up on the two and really work them over? Or is it a case of you cannot win the Giro this early but you can lose it?
Yep. Considering Evenepoel had that tumble the previous day he may not have been feeling great so worth trying to attack him.

However, the climb was very long but not all that steep so maybe not ideal for attacking.

Reactions: Daz

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Yep. Considering Evenepoel had that tumble the previous day he may not have been feeling great so worth trying to attack him.

However, the climb was very long but not all that steep so maybe not ideal for attacking.
Todays stage looks good for the two favourites. Looks very punchy on the steep short hills at the end. Not sure G has it in him to stay with them.

Belfast Green

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Jam First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
What a ride by Ben Healy, some future ahead of him at only 22yo. Great day for cycling this side of the water! And we got some GC action! A chink in Remco’s armour. Made up for a poor stage yesterday.