Get realistic! | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Get realistic!

A

argyle7

I rarely post on here, usually browse etc but after the past few weeks have really felt the need too. Personally, I wouldn't sack Fletcher. I can completely understand why the majority would thoigh, hence this post. The names people want to replace Fletcher.. Billy Davies, Paul Jewell, Keith Hill, Tisdale, Gary Johnson! Rusell Slade, Jim Magilton.. These managers would not come here!! They're either managers of teams at a higher level/better than us, or managers who should be managing top league1/champ teams. I can understand people wanting a new manager, but targets need to be realistic.. Your Andy Scott's, John Wards, Paul Peschisolido's. Not your Keith Hills and Warnocks just because they were connected to the club 15+ years ago! Just think people need to realise the level we're at, and they're are a lot better managers out there then Fletch, but there's no point yelling Fletcher out and then asking forBilly Davies in, cause it simply won't happen. Apologise for the rant and long windedness! COYG! :scarf:

Dec 3, 2005
Without looking or checking, there will be/must be Managers out there who are not in employment, who must/should be looking for any opportunity to get back into football management.

One guarantee, they will be better then our present incumbant.

A

argyle7

Agree completely, but managers like Davies and Magilton (like him or not) would surely have turned down more appealing offers than Argyle in our current plight.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I do agree some of the suggestions on here are mad but that is what happens when people start bouncing ideas off one-another. Even so I don't see this as a reason why we shouldn't sack Fletcher, I'm sure JB and the board will know who we can and can't afford and will know who is out there should Fletch leave, just because a few fans on a forum have gone specualtion crazy does not mean there aren't realistic choices out there.

I think tomorrow will be key, if Fletch is to go anytime soon it has to be during this gap before York. Tomorrow (today in fact it is 1:00am) I believe is the first chance to make an announcement if decisions were made Saturday/Sunday I don't suppose the media department were working on Sunday so later today or over the coming days will be the time for an announcement should one be coming.

I agree we need to be realistic in terms of who we want in because its hard for someone readint the site to take opinions seriously if people are dreaming about Warnock, Hill or Jewell but I'm sure most people making these suggestions don't honestly believe these are the sorts of managers we will be attracting but we all like to dream...

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Don't agree at all that some managers who are in Lge 1 /2 or ''should be'' (but they are not) would discard an approach. Potential has been shown in the past (Luggy Mk 1)
I think Gary Johnson would consider it as would Hill.

My major snag is Nance. A non-league player for 98% of his career and he is coaching !!! He must go and Argyle must employ a coach with a background in Lge 1/2 minimum. I suspect there are coaches out there at Lge 1/2 clubs who are No 2 to the manager who would rather be No 2 at Argyle.

Just seen that car on the A38 again westbound with plate ''9AUL HRT'' :funny:

bodspafc

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Aug 8, 2005
Bristol
tigertony":s8911pth said:
Don't agree at all that some managers who are in Lge 1 /2 or ''should be'' (but they are not) would discard an approach. Potential has been shown in the past (Luggy Mk 1)

My major snag is Nance. A non-league player for 98% of his career and he is coaching !!! He must go and Argyle must employ a coach with a background in Lge 1/2 minimum. I suspect there are coaches out there at Lge 1/2 clubs who are No 2 to the manager who would rather be No 2 at Argyle.

I don't think the fact that Nance was a non league player is too relevant in my opinion. Jose Mourinho never played professionally and he's not a bad coach! I'd say it's more to do with training methods and man management for a coach and I have no evidence either way that Nance is a good or bad at this.

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, just asking if there is any evidence that Nance is a bad coach?

Mar 23, 2008
Do agree but I think we may have a chance with Cotterill. Doubt it would be long term, more of a chance for him to put himself in the shop window as he did with Notts County a few years ago but if it brings some short term relief it will do for me.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
Obviously managers would come here, I can never remember a shortage of recognised names in the past when we've needed one.

This we're only Plymouth attitude is about the only more annoying thing than the current situation.

C

charlee

Disagree. He needs to go and should have gone a while back. Enough of this shower. And get proper infrastructure in.

May 22, 2006
Deacster":2ts44kaj said:
Do agree but I think we may have a chance with Cotterill. Doubt it would be long term, more of a chance for him to put himself in the shop window as he did with Notts County a few years ago but if it brings some short term relief it will do for me.

The original post makes valid points and yet there are expectations that Steve Cotterill would be interested. I believe this to be totally unrealistic. He is as 'West Country' as Harry Redknapp - his main area for connections is South Coast / Brighton. Cheltenham is closer to Birmingham than Bristol. He would demand a higher wage than we can afford and has probably turned down jobs at clubs higher up the league. He doesn't even have happy memories of Argyle following previous incidents at the club and PW is still on our pay roll.

The whole position is incredibly frustrating as Argyle are playing decent football at times but the league table does not lie that we are in a precarious position. Our finances and future finances play such an important part in decision making. We really are a million miles away from Chelsea & QPR who can just chop and change. JB needs to be very brave or very foolish to keep with Fletch and I'm not 100% clear which. Maybe the solution is that we need a bit more management experience in DOF / coaching (defensive) roles. It would be great to have someone who can put the ball in the net. I'm not convinced that Fletch really knows his best 11. We need a settled team team to get results and confidence back. It's not easy but it is painful at the moment.

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
bodspafc":3c6il5o1 said:
tigertony":3c6il5o1 said:

I don't think the fact that Nance was a non league player is too relevant in my opinion. Jose Maurinho never played professionally and he's not a bad coach! I'd say it's more to do with training methods and man management for a coach and I have no evidence either way that Nance is a good or bad at this.

I'm not necessarily saying you're wrong, just asking if there is any evidence that Nance is a bad coach?

Because we keep losing & letting in silly goals? :whistle:

Nov 11, 2012
Keyham
I agree some of the names that some have mentioned might not want the job. However it is well known that once a manager is sacked there is at least 50 CV's on the chairman desk by the end of the day. So lets just wait and see who applies we be surprised.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Tony_Flags":31eblnuv said:
Obviously managers would come here, I can never remember a shortage of recognised names in the past when we've needed one.

This we're only Plymouth attitude is about the only more annoying thing than the current situation.

Totally agree!

We're an attractive club. Decent stadium, loyal and substantial fanbase, AND we are a big club in this division. There's no doubting that. Now, that of course doesn't gurantee us anything, but I do think that there are many, many managers who would see Argyle as a very attractive job.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
jespafc":g0a8w97u said:
Tony_Flags":g0a8w97u said:

Totally agree!

We're an attractive club. Decent stadium, loyal and substantial fanbase, AND we are a big club in this division. There's no doubting that. Now, that of course doesn't gurantee us anything, but I do think that there are many, many managers who would see Argyle as a very attractive job.

Agreed, I think perople underestimate how attractive we could be to potentioal managers.