France 14 Gibraltar 0FT | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

France 14 Gibraltar 0FT

Apr 16, 2016
(i) To make one's cross channel neighbours feel rather inadequate.
(ii) To allow a group of national league south standard players the opportunity to say to their grandkids they once played against Mbappe or Griezman, (and should have won really)
It does seem a bit 'pointless' though, at least for Gibraltar.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
There really ought to be pre-qualifying tournaments for the minnows eg Andorra, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar, San Marino etc to produce a winner for inclusion in the actual WC or Euro qualifying group stage. Walloping these toddlers by cricket scores does nobody any favours in the long term.

Apr 16, 2016
What do you mean ? Malta only beat San Marino by 1 goal last time they played ( last year) and Malta are a force to be reckoned with going by last night's result.
Or maybe England are just grossly underperforming and you are indeed correct.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Gibraltar has fought long and hard for recognition at this level. Finally, this may make them realise how nonsensical it is for them to think they can compete.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
There are a lot of pointless matches in qualifying, even if you out the minnows in their own groups they would still get thumped at the actual tournament.
There is no real solution unless you created a Euro minnows cup.

Reactions: AdelaideGreen

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I may be going against the grain here but I’ve got no problem with it. Those Gibraltar players will be able to tell their kids and grandkids that they once played for their country against arguably the best international side in the world. Should we also stop teams like Havant & Waterlooville or Chasetown from playing in the FA Cup?

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
I may be going against the grain here but I’ve got no problem with it. Those Gibraltar players will be able to tell their kids and grandkids that they once played for their country against arguably the best international side in the world. Should we also stop teams like Havant & Waterlooville or Chasetown from playing in the FA Cup?

I don't particularly disagree, but the difference is that Chasetown or H&W might get one plum FA Cup draw every 50 years if they're lucky, whereas Gibraltar will always be drawn alongside a top-seeded nation in every qualifying cycle.

Reactions: Lancastergreen

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
There are a lot of pointless matches in qualifying, even if you out the minnows in their own groups they would still get thumped at the actual tournament.
There is no real solution unless you created a Euro minnows cup.
This is the answer!!

There should be a prelim comp and the best go on to face the professional teams.

Losing 14-zip is nothing you are going to brag about, and how your best mate who was a goalie until he did his back in picking the ball out of the back of the net soo many times.

Plus, it isn't a spectacle!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
So Havant and Waterloo 4th round defeat 5-2 to Liverpool equates to Gibraltar's 14-0 v France? I can only recall Chasetown losing 3-1 to Cardiff. I'm struggling to recall a double figure score in the FA Cup in recent years. In 1961 Argyle lost 1-9 at home to Bristol City in FAC3 who I think had beaten Kings Lynn 12 or 13-0 in a previous round. 1971 there was the Bournemouth v Margate where MacDougall scored 9 of Bournemouth's 11. But these mismatches are sporadic. Gib routinely lose 6-0 and their record is littered with 7s and 8s. They couldn't even score against a 10 man San Marino Them, Andorra, San Marino etc all should play off. The cricket World Cup is a fine example. The minnows play in qualifiers and only the best 2 qualify. And now we see Netherlands and Afghanistan giving people a game and actually winning one or two. .

Nov 18, 2011
So Havant and Waterloo 4th round defeat 5-2 to Liverpool equates to Gibraltar's 14-0 v France? I can only recall Chasetown losing 3-1 to Cardiff. I'm struggling to recall a double figure score in the FA Cup in recent years. In 1961 Argyle lost 1-9 at home to Bristol City in FAC3 who I think had beaten Kings Lynn 12 or 13-0 in a previous round. 1971 there was the Bournemouth v Margate where MacDougall scored 9 of Bournemouth's 11. But these mismatches are sporadic. Gib routinely lose 6-0 and their record is littered with 7s and 8s. They couldn't even score against a 10 man San Marino Them, Andorra, San Marino etc all should play off. The cricket World Cup is a fine example. The minnows play in qualifiers and only the best 2 qualify. And now we see Netherlands and Afghanistan giving people a game and actually winning one or two. .
I used to be like Cobi and think the minnows had every right to play in qualifiers but now have changed my thinking.
The FA Cup is full of upsets or near upsets over the years but you can't say the same of the qualifiers.

A minnows tournament could run at the same time as the Euros and World Cup (let's be honest, the likelihood of them making either tournament is so small) with the finalists each getting a qualifying spot for the forthcoming Euro/World Cup qualifiers.

Winning a few games in the tournament would do teams the world of good in terms of morale and the tournament could be a laugh. For example if it was held in this country it could be hosted in a few league grounds close by to each other and I bet there'd be some curious football fans turning up wanting a summer football fix.

The games held in this country between CONIFA members are usually held at non league grounds and get a few hundred people in, most not from these member teams.

Reactions: Lancastergreen
Dec 3, 2005
Gibraltar have every right to be in these competition's, they have fought hard to be recognised by UEFA & FIFA, who at last ignored the Spanish, not wanting Gibraltar to recognised. Yes they are being beaten, last night's game v France, was obviously a weird result. France only beat Gibraltar 3-0 in the reverse fixture. But France last night played almost their best team, which was good, giving respect to the opposition. Plus Gibraltar had a player sent off after only 18 minutes. 😉🇬🇮

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Gibraltar have every right to be in these competition's, they have fought hard to be recognised by UEFA & FIFA, who at last ignored the Spanish, not wanting Gibraltar to recognised. Yes they are being beaten, last night's game v France, was obviously a weird result. France only beat Gibraltar 3-0 in the reverse fixture. But France last night played almost their best team, which was good, giving respect to the opposition. Plus Gibraltar had a player sent off after only 18 minutes. 😉🇬🇮
I bet the Gibraltar fans are after a refund. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: djg145
May 16, 2016
Another thought.

Who gets to decide who are the "Minnows" or under what criteria you're judged as such.

There's probably Clubs in the Championship that regard us as Minnows or have already placed us in "the likes of" category.

I'm sure a plum 3rd Round FA Cup draw would see us described as underdogs enjoying our Cup Final despite only being a League behind the top Clubs.

Look how England struggled to impress against the minnows that are Malta.

Reactions: djg145