For oldies only. Mods and rockers. | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

For oldies only. Mods and rockers.

A proustian moment this morning, though not through taste but the sight of a lovely 60s VW Beetle in great condition. It was the chrome wheel trims. These were regularly pinched by my fellow scooter mods with a Vespa, as the hub cap perfectly fitted the spare wheel at the back. I had a Lambretta. I’m ashamed to admit we thought nothing of carefully unscrewing any chrome car badge to proudly display on the front of our scooters. If I had ever caught my own children pinching anything I’d have been apoplectic. I’m also guilty of hypocrisy when I complain to my wife about noisy motor bikes whining past our house at night. We used to drill the baffles in the scooter’s silencer to create a deep throaty noise, which must have been just as irritating to people of my current age. Any other elderly mods out there?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I had a Vespa SS 200. It made a lovely noise and was blue bodied with yellow fairings.

I think I had 16 mirrors and a very nice backrest.

Loved it.

Also had an LI 150 for a while, not quite as fast as the SS but was the coolest of all the Lambretta in my book. Mine was maroon and chrome with no side fairings.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
We are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the mods

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
I was never a mod (too young at the time - I turned 66 only last week!) but I have lived in Brighton for the last 40+ years and I re-watched Quadrophenia only a few weeks ago. For many years I worked in East Street, where the famous knee-trembler alley is located and where quite a bit of the off-beach fighting happened. It was interesting to see what had changed and what hadn't since it was filmed back in 1978 - and to see some faces I recognised in the huge beach fight scene. Lot of locals (including my elder brother) were paid £10 a day to rumble!

Keith Hennessey

🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
Jul 17, 2006
Blenheim New Zealand.
I had a LD Lambretta. Took off the front mudguard and side panels and it went a lot quicker. Remember the petrol pumps where you had to dial in the correct 2 stroke mixture.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I once rode my Vespa from Gillingham to Plymouth. After that trip, you'd never forget two stroke!!