Footballers wot I have met | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Footballers wot I have met

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
janner67":262jaccb said:
Once served Graham Taylor RIP in a restaurant I used to run, I remember being behind the bar and looking up and he was in front of the bar and I thought WOW he is small. Absolutely lovely man who was so polite .
Used to run a golf club in Berkshire and Glenn Hoddle used to come and play as a guest of one of our members, then two to three years later I was running a hotel in Cobham and he came in with Dave Beasant and a load of young guys who were part of his school in Spain and he said to me "I know you don't I?!" Yes I said .... From SandMartins a couple of years ago! Another top fella who always had time for a chat.
Bryan Robson in a lift at Wembley after a corporate event, didn't have much to say though!

What hotel did you run in Cobham Janner?

Mar 5, 2012
Pettgreen":26uqd9dj said:
janner67":26uqd9dj said:
Once served Graham Taylor RIP in a restaurant I used to run, I remember being behind the bar and looking up and he was in front of the bar and I thought WOW he is small. Absolutely lovely man who was so polite .
Used to run a golf club in Berkshire and Glenn Hoddle used to come and play as a guest of one of our members, then two to three years later I was running a hotel in Cobham and he came in with Dave Beasant and a load of young guys who were part of his school in Spain and he said to me "I know you don't I?!" Yes I said .... From SandMartins a couple of years ago! Another top fella who always had time for a chat.
Bryan Robson in a lift at Wembley after a corporate event, didn't have much to say though!

What hotel did you run in Cobham Janner?

Cedar house, closed down now, but it was less than a mile to Jose's specially constructed training ground..... Lots of Chelsea came in obviously, but the only one worth a mention was Wayne Bridge.

Dec 22, 2016
Barnstaple
George Best. When I was working in Hampshire, used to get a fair bit of corporate for St Mary's. At one of the south coast derbies v Portsmouth, walked into the corporate area, round the corner to the lifts and George was in the lift as it was ready to go up. He was good mates with Milan Mandaric who owned Portsmouth at the time. We all shook his hand and managed to say "hello George, nice to meet you" before the lift arrived and he was whisked off to the directors box. He looked quite well, but about a year later he had tragically died.

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
Outside the ground at Colchester,1977/78 (Friday night) I think....bumped into Nobby Stiles in the crowd....he was Preston manager at the time...I assume he was checking out future opposition. First time I'd seen him in the flesh...he looked an insignificant little man.....put him in a football kit and he became a snarling rottweiller, a real enforcer.

Also stood on Tommy Trinders (I know he isn't a player) immaculate shoes outside Fulham...dressed in his Camel haired overcoat, cigar in hand....I think that was Fulham 0-4 Man U 1967/68....last time I had the chance to take my old man to a game of football.

ng

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 21, 2011
Nuneaton
My job gives me an advantage on this one.

I can claim the whole England team returning from a recent away trip, Joe Hart nearly dropped his passport.
The Barcelona squad, with a delay for Arda Turan as I had to sort something out.
Spoke to Rondon as he arrived to sign for West Brom.
Gordon Strachan and Steve Staunton.

As an aside I sat next to Peter Halmosi, at breakfast, on the day he signed for Hull. I saw him in the bar later and he bought me a drink. With the football and two rugby clubs using the hotel for all their signings it was rather a minor sporting celebrity fest.

I also have a rather interesting story about Mahrez from Leicester’s title winning season, but not for digest on a public forum.

Non football I also stood next to Michael Foot on the terraces at Reading back in 1986 ( I think). We won 1-0, after an own goal. Legend has it that Dave Smith missed it, as he had gone to prepare his half time chat and thought the match was a draw. Mr Foot offered me a drink from his flask....I declined.

Stonehouse Mike":2vpmgpyi said:
Alan Walsh is my mates dad so have known him years. His brother Phil also plays to a fair standard.

Alan Walsh was a bit of a hero of mine when I was growing up (I was split between City and Argyle at that stage). Remember Jackie Jakanowsky and Kevin Mabbut?

I'd forgotten too, running the big Bermuda half-marathon a few years ago in the pouring rain, I saw a familiar character standing under his umbrella at about the 11 mile stage. It dawned on me who it was, so I bellowed a huge Greeeen Armeeee at the chap. After a few seconds pause, Paul Mariner responded with his own Green Armeee. I was so chuffed I pretty much sprinted the next 200 metres, which completely buggered up the rest of my race.

Nov 6, 2006
Met Dennis Law at Old Trafford. Also sat with Tony Pulis and is Stoke City team on flight from Birmingham to Salzburg going to watch the mighty greens on tour in Austria. Stoke were flying out to Austria for pre season trip.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Chobham Green":1macuqqf said:
Johnny Carey, Dave Sexton, Ray Gooding, big Jim Holton and the great Les Sealey.
Johnny Carey always seemed to come across as the nicest of men, as did many of the great Irish footballers. Not long after he had been sacked by Everton he turned down an approach to become the Argyle manager in the summer of 1961. Instead he went to Leyton Orient and steered them to their first and only promotion to the top tier.