Footballers wot I have met | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Footballers wot I have met

Apr 30, 2006
I mentioned on that other thread that I met Tim Cahill at Bangkok airport. He was with Mark Schwarzer at the time, who is a very big guy, unsurprisingly. We had a chat for about 5 minutes, I said I supported Argyle and he gave a "Green Army!" shout and said he remembered playing down there for Millwall. Then we reboarded the plane together except that when we got on I went right to economy and they went left to first class :)

I also met Ray Parlour, I think it was in the year 2000 or 2001, Arsenal were the current league champions because he came in to our workplace (a well known retailers head office) with the Premier League trophy and we got to get a photo taken with it individually. He was a good laugh and he signed a Tottenham fan's birthday card for me as a practical joke.

llcoolgee

๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ
Mar 10, 2011
Melbourne
Jesper Olsen, in a shop that I managed in Brighton - Melbourne.
My 1st ever match was Utd v Chelsea in 86. Got to Old Trafford and we are a little delayed in getting to our seats. This almighty roar goes up, we run up the stairs to see the Chelsea fans going nuts!! Kerry Dixon had scored inside 2 mins. Utd get a penalty. Strachan takes it and misses. 2nd half, Utd get another penalty, Olsen misses. Utd loose 1-0 we miss 2 penalties and miss the only goal!! Gotta love football.
Anyhow, Olsen walks in to the shop and I nearly fell over!! (He was one of my favourite players, alongside Robson, Hughes and Tynan). I got to deal with him often and we talked football a lot. I brought up that game and he claims no recollection. I call bul$hit - he knew. It got to the point that I was able to take the Mick out of his "assist" in the Denmark v Spain Mexico 86 world cup (look it up :D).
A good bloke

Feb 2, 2007
Robbie Fowler- drinking
Steve McManaman- drinking
Trevor Brooking- having dinner
John Durnin- drinking
Reuben Reid- having dinner
John Aldridge- through work
Gary Lineker- work
Gerry Francis- work

Quite a few others when my dad was linked to Dobwalls FC

G

greengiant1886

Actually met Glenn Murray today in Birmingham, lovely guy and clearly a great professional!

Jul 12, 2011
Mountwise Plymouth
Many years ago when Leicester came down to HMS Raleigh for a fitness week they played several local teams. Being based in Torpoint the team were out in Torpoint one Saturday and I met Emile Heskey at the bar of the former Harbour Lights night club. Shortly after I went to the local Chinese and Steve Claridge was absolutely steaming shovelling fried rice and curry sauce down him.

cheshiregreen

โœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Had some banter with Alan Hansen and Mark Lawrenson at London Euston. They were headed to a World Cup preview event in 2010. Both seemed very down to earth.

Also stood next to Sir Bobby Charlton at Euston once waiting for a train to the NW of England. Not much of a conversation with him unfortunately as he was trying to get back to Old Trafford for a midweek game

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
Tommy Tynan , My Football idol watched him scoring goals for fun At Home Park in the 80s and 90s

Played on the same pitch as him vs Argyle Legends in 2011 at Bideford AFC for North Devon Greens

Few years ago met him at home Park vs Newport and he signed Replica shirts , Books & football

Argyle Legend

L

lavismavis

Gareth Bale and Joe Cole in universal
studios Florida June 2013 just before
Bale signed for Real Madrid had
photos taken with both

Jul 8, 2016
Was in NY Nov 2016 and met Gary Lineker in the same hotel as me. He filmed his meeting with Frank Lampard in the hotel for MOTD extra as Lamps was playing for NY City.

Mar 5, 2012
Once served Graham Taylor RIP in a restaurant I used to run, I remember being behind the bar and looking up and he was in front of the bar and I thought WOW he is small. Absolutely lovely man who was so polite .
Used to run a golf club in Berkshire and Glenn Hoddle used to come and play as a guest of one of our members, then two to three years later I was running a hotel in Cobham and he came in with Dave Beasant and a load of young guys who were part of his school in Spain and he said to me "I know you don't I?!" Yes I said .... From SandMartins a couple of years ago! Another top fella who always had time for a chat.
Bryan Robson in a lift at Wembley after a corporate event, didn't have much to say though!

Aug 30, 2006
Sheffield
Terry Mancini invited me to his first Footballer s Classic at La Manga in the early 90s which he organised for Barwell Travel . Had a couple of good stories about his schoolboy boxing days around Hammersmith and how Don Givens got him to play for Ireland when he was at QPR.
Played rounds of golf with Glenn Hoddle , Mike England and Phil Parkes who were all good company and very forgiving of my rubbish golf. I remember it was the week when Everton had tried to persuade Andy Gray to leave Sky - he did a mean version of Ruby Donโ€™t Take Your Love to Town in the late night piano bar.

Apr 27, 2009
Alan Walsh is my mates dad so have known him years. His brother Phil also plays to a fair standard.

Most of the Bristol City players, due to living on the outskirts of Bristol

Leroy Rosenior was my neighbor for many years.

Bobby Gould, lived local to me when he was Wimbledon manager and won the cup.