Fletcher too good for SWPL, is he good enough for Div 1 | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fletcher too good for SWPL, is he good enough for Div 1

Jul 4, 2008
newton abbot
Interested to see if he ever plays regularly for the first team or ends up bought by a championship or Premier side for his development. From what I've seen he already looks a class above others we have! Hope he gets to show it before to long.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
plymade":3kl2rd79 said:
Interested to see if he ever plays regularly for the first team or ends up bought by a championship or Premier side for his development. From what I've seen he already looks a class above others we have! Hope he gets to show it before to long.
This ā€“ with knobs on.

I will be well peeā€™d off if he isnā€™t given an increasing chance to show he can cut it with the first team. Why is it we are happy to give players we get from other clubs chance after chance to ā€˜settleā€™ (Ciftci the latest example) yet a bright young lad of our own is only thrown on near the end of games if weā€™re short for a few desperate cameos ? Why is the working assumption he isnā€™t yet up to it - or at best needs to be loaned out to develop? I donā€™t see the sense in it - as you say I fear scouts from further up the food chain will quickly mark his card and see him as cheap no-brainer punt to take into their systems before he ever makes a big contribution to our first team. Please donā€™t let him be another weā€™re watching on MOTD in a few years saying ā€œhe played for Argyle a couple of times before he went to X for a pittanceā€ :facepalm: Exeter seem to manage their kids much better ā€“ throwing them on young to get a really good contribution then flog them on for millions. Obviously itā€™s too early to say that about Fletcher but weā€™ve already seen enough to know he has ample potential so Ferchrisake give the lad a chance!! Anyway, personally Iā€™d rather give time to a hungry young lad of our own than a journeyman pro who couldnā€™t make the grade at a glamour clubs so has come to make a few quid down here before moving on again.

999mattyg

āœ… Evergreen
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Ottawa Green":1cyx0p13 said:
Badly worded title i meant he is too good for SWPL but Adams does'nt think he is good enough to start in Div 1, just gives him 10 min cameo when the match is lost, obviously he is a goal scorer and should be given more playing time.

I don't think DA has said he isn't good enough. He has said that he is not going to rush his development.

999mattyg

āœ… Evergreen
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Ave_IT":epmzf37g said:
plymade":epmzf37g said:
This ā€“ with knobs on.

I will be well peeā€™d off if he isnā€™t given an increasing chance to show he can cut it with the first team. Why is it we are happy to give players we get from other clubs chance after chance to ā€˜settleā€™ (Ciftci the latest example) yet a bright young lad of our own is only thrown on near the end of games if weā€™re short for a few desperate cameos ? Why is the working assumption he isnā€™t yet up to it - or at best needs to be loaned out to develop? I donā€™t see the sense in it - as you say I fear scouts from further up the food chain will quickly mark his card and see him as cheap no-brainer punt to take into their systems before he ever makes a big contribution to our first team. Please donā€™t let him be another weā€™re watching on MOTD in a few years saying ā€œhe played for Argyle a couple of times before he went to X for a pittanceā€ :facepalm: Exeter seem to manage their kids much better ā€“ throwing them on young to get a really good contribution then flog them on for millions. Obviously itā€™s too early to say that about Fletcher but weā€™ve already seen enough to know he has ample potential so Ferchrisake give the lad a chance!!

I agree but it can be a difficult judgement call. Tisdale played Ethan Ampadu at EC, probably out of necessity, and, although clearly talented, it concerned me that he was so young and looked like he would be snapped at some point! He looked very lightweight. Starting a player that young regularly in senior football could easily prematurely end their career.

S

swendies

[Fletcher is still a young raw lad who has potential and MAY develop but at this stage he is not the next Wayne Rooney or Michael Owen. He may make the step up to a regular place in league football given time but he is not the answer to our current problem, as in a starter upfront on his own. Impact sub maybe./quote]
If he doesn`t play we may never know if he`s good enough. Personally I`d rather see him there than an imported loan player.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
999mattyg":2w6w4hvd said:
Ave_IT":2w6w4hvd said:
plymade":2w6w4hvd said:
This ā€“ with knobs on.

I will be well peeā€™d off if he isnā€™t given an increasing chance to show he can cut it with the first team. Why is it we are happy to give players we get from other clubs chance after chance to ā€˜settleā€™ (Ciftci the latest example) yet a bright young lad of our own is only thrown on near the end of games if weā€™re short for a few desperate cameos ? Why is the working assumption he isnā€™t yet up to it - or at best needs to be loaned out to develop? I donā€™t see the sense in it - as you say I fear scouts from further up the food chain will quickly mark his card and see him as cheap no-brainer punt to take into their systems before he ever makes a big contribution to our first team. Please donā€™t let him be another weā€™re watching on MOTD in a few years saying ā€œhe played for Argyle a couple of times before he went to X for a pittanceā€ :facepalm: Exeter seem to manage their kids much better ā€“ throwing them on young to get a really good contribution then flog them on for millions. Obviously itā€™s too early to say that about Fletcher but weā€™ve already seen enough to know he has ample potential so Ferchrisake give the lad a chance!!

I agree but it can be a difficult judgement call. Tisdale played Ethan Ampadu at EC, probably out of necessity, and, although clearly talented, it concerned me that he was so young and looked like he would be snapped at some point! He looked very lightweight. Starting a player that young regularly in senior football could easily prematurely end their career.
But not giving him a proper chance means a career may never start. It pains me to say it but Exeter seems a good place to be for talented youngster looking to break into the game - if it was me or a son of mine, I'd rather risk starting too soon than being continually held back.

Keepitgreen

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
ā™£ļø PACSA Member
ā™£ļø Senior Greens
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Ave_IT":doqeacqb said:
999mattyg":doqeacqb said:
Ave_IT":doqeacqb said:
plymade":doqeacqb said:
This ā€“ with knobs on.

But not giving him a proper chance means a career may never start. It pains me to say it but Exeter seems a good place to be for talented youngster looking to break into the game - if it was me or a son of mine, I'd rather risk starting too soon than being continually held back.
Ampadu was 15 when he made his debut (he's actually 17 today) so yes it was a risk. However Fletcher is 18 going on 19. We need to find out what he can do with a proper chance.

justanotherfan

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
999mattyg":xc6oqqbp said:
Ottawa Green":xc6oqqbp said:
Badly worded title i meant he is too good for SWPL but Adams does'nt think he is good enough to start in Div 1, just gives him 10 min cameo when the match is lost, obviously he is a goal scorer and should be given more playing time.

I don't think DA has said he isn't good enough. He has said that he is not going to rush his development.[/quote]

Appreciate it is not your view, just your interpretation of Mr Adams, but I think he already has sitting on a bench down pat. If he is good enough he is old enough. We are not exactly brimming over with forward talent.

Feb 28, 2016
I'm heartened by this thread and completely agree with every thing Ave it said.

The whole "doesn't want to rush his development" is all well and good but he has only got a years contract and we have seen many of our lads released at the end of their first contract, if they get another one they still tend to not get the chances, Purrington and Harvey being the exceptions not the rule.

Jan 27, 2012
One problem is that Fletcher doesn't really fit into Adams' formation. He's not a target man like Taylor or Blissett but more of a nippy goalscorer. I think that Fletcher really needs to play in a team with 2 strikers.

Jan 25, 2011
plymouth
gaspargomez":z4jbdsfj said:
One problem is that Fletcher doesn't really fit into Adams' formation. He's not a target man like Taylor or Blissett but more of a nippy goalscorer. I think that Fletcher really needs to play in a team with 2 strikers.
Problem solved play with TWO strikers.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
gaspargomez":o3cwys8u said:
ā€¦..and yet against MKD the ball ā€˜stuckā€™ to him better than it did to Shift-Key ā€“ aswell as giving us far more energy and better inter-play. We looked much more like scoring when he was on IMO.