Favourite 'one-liners' | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Favourite 'one-liners'

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
I'm not a big fan of jokes tbh - not the contrived long-winded type anyway - but can cry laughing at stupid 'one-liners'. The masters of that art being Tommy Cooper and Steven Wright (the American comic not the Radio 2 bloke!) and Tim Vine is excellent too (although he frequently plagiarises the other two). There are also some great political put-downs from the likes of Churchill and Denis Healey.

Anyway, a few of my faves.....

"I spent all weekend cleaning out our attic with the wife. Filthy dirty, covered in cobwebs..... but she's good with the kids." - Tommy Cooper

I phoned our local swimming pool and said "Hello - is that the local swimming pool?" The bloke said "I dunno. Depends where you're calling from." - Tommy Cooper

So, I said to the gym instructor: "Can you teach me to do the splits?" He said "Probably. How flexible are you?".... I said, "Well I can't make Tuesdays" - Tommy Cooper

"Did you know sponges grow in the ocean? That just kills me. Imagine how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen". - Steven Wright

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot." - Steven Wright

"If you painted a light bulb black - would the room go dark when you switched it on?" - Steven Wright

"What's another word for Thesaurus?" - Steven Wright

"If at first you don't succeed, then sky-diving definitely isn't for you" - Steven Wright.

"I've just been on a once-in-a-lifetime holiday. I'll tell you what. Never again." - Tim Vine

“Conjunctivitis.com – that’s a site for sore eyes.” - Tim Vine

“Uncle Ben has died. No more Mr Rice Guy.” - Tim Vine

Nov 18, 2011
Rodney Dangerfield is the king of the one liner IMO:

Some highlights include:

“I asked my old man if I could go ice-skating on the lake. He told me, ‘Wait til it gets warmer.’”

“I remember I was so depressed I was going to jump out a window on the 10th floor. They sent a priest up to talk to me. He said, ‘On your mark...’”

“I was tired one night, and I went to the bar to have a few drinks. The bartender asked me, ‘What’ll you have?’ I said, ‘Surprise me.’ He showed me a naked picture of my wife.”

But Monkhouse is close

"They say marriage is a great institution. So is Dartmoor and Broadmoor."

"My father only hit me once - but he used a Volvo."

olive green

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 3, 2004
Liverpool
“Tuffers, can you lend me your brain, I’m building an idiot” Ian Healey to Phil Tufnell as Shane Warne came in to bowl.

Reactions: Ave IT

American Pilgrim

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Mar 18, 2023
USA
Rodney Dangerfield is the king of the one liner IMO:

Some highlights include:

“I asked my old man if I could go ice-skating on the lake. He told me, ‘Wait til it gets warmer.’”

“I remember I was so depressed I was going to jump out a window on the 10th floor. They sent a priest up to talk to me. He said, ‘On your mark...’”

“I was tired one night, and I went to the bar to have a few drinks. The bartender asked me, ‘What’ll you have?’ I said, ‘Surprise me.’ He showed me a naked picture of my wife.”

But Monkhouse is close

"They say marriage is a great institution. So is Dartmoor and Broadmoor."

"My father only hit me once - but he used a Volvo."
Yes Rodney Dangerfield was hilarious in everything he did and said. Was fortunate to meet him after one of his shows not too long before he died; was a very nice guy tbh.

To input on the thread, will use one from another of my favorites, Steven Wright:

'I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.'

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
I took a loan out to pay for an exorcism.
I'm behind on the payments though so I'm in danger of being repossessed.