Favourite Keeper double act/Worst | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Favourite Keeper double act/Worst

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Rupert":3u7uyra5 said:
Favourite 'competing' keepers, yes, Ro and Luke.

Favourite keeper: Jim Furnell. Why? As well as the ability, the Crystal Palace penalty save. Best single moment of my first ten years watching Argyle, I reckon...

Least favourite: The late Les Sealey. Just for one single moment. He didn't play well in a 4-3 defeat at Doncaster Rovers in 1984, and took some stick from the small number of away fans on the terrace behind him. He turned round and gave us all sorts of abuse. Straw-chewing yokels, and stuff like that, as I recall. I thought it was only opposition players who were supposed to do that sort of thing...

:)
and Rooney !!!

Aug 2, 2011
Dave Maclaren must rate as one of the best. Noel Dwyer as one of the worst, in his case a few too many pies or pints as he always seemed to be in the Fortescue.

P

Paul_Roberts

If you could have combined Nicholls' raw talent with Newland's level-headedness you would have had one hell of a keeper.

Horsley Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Sep 21, 2003
West Horsley
I am surprised that no one has mentioned the great Bill Shortt. Surely one of Argyle's best buys at £1000. Played over 300 games for Argyle and got 12 caps for Wales. He actually died on the same day as Brian Clough.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
PRESTO":397go0eg said:
Dave Maclaren must rate as one of the best. Noel Dwyer as one of the worst, in his case a few too many pies or pints as he always seemed to be in the Fortescue.

Yeah McClaren was great. Pat Dunne had his moments too! Furnell & Crudge probably make it with McClaren for consistency over a number of games.

I tend not to do 'worst' keepers/players, i played in goal for Pasalb several times, never sweated so much in me life!! respect those who made it to pro level, they were all much better than i ever was so if i say they were carp then i'm saying i was worse than carp!!

Dwyer was a 'character' tho'!! one of the reasons why the four-step rule and anti-time wasting was introduced!! he used to walk up and down on the line keeping the ball up in the air with his head! when a forward ran in to 'threaten' him, he'd catch the ball, smile sweetly, and then start again! saw him barged several times, used to drive centre forwards mad!! can't remember if he was a clown or a genius as far as actual keeping goes!!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Dave Langmead":2xk8i5ww said:
PRESTO":2xk8i5ww said:

Yeah McClaren was great. Pat Dunne had his moments too! Furnell & Crudge probably make it with McClaren for consistency over a number of games.

I tend not to do 'worst' keepers/players, i played in goal for Pasalb several times, never sweated so much in me life!! respect those who made it to pro level, they were all much better than i ever was so if i say they were carp then i'm saying i was worse than carp!!

Dwyer was a 'character' tho'!! one of the reasons why the four-step rule and anti-time wasting was introduced!! he used to walk up and down on the line keeping the ball up in the air with his head! when a forward ran in to 'threaten' him, he'd catch the ball, smile sweetly, and then start again! saw him barged several times, used to drive centre forwards mad!! can't remember if he was a clown or a genius as far as actual keeping goes!!

I have been speaking to Dave quite regularly over the spring and summer. He has lived in Australia for many years now and looks back with great fondness at most of his time at HP. During the initial fantastic run after Ellis Stuttard took over in November 1961, Maclaren was in fantastic form and was on the edge of selection for Scotland. No one who was there will forget a save he made from John Bond (GRHS) in the cup tie against West Ham. Bond lobbed him and Maclaren took a step backwards and then corkscrewed backwards to scoop the ball away with one of his extremely large hands.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Horse":1bqm3ol5 said:
My dad used to talk about Leeper and Sheering in the 60s. But that was ages ago. No idea if tey were good.
In the last few yeras youve got to say Ro & Luke as a couple of keepers fighting for the place were a top pair. Whatever youve got to say about Luke he was a great keeper and Ro is a legend in his service for the club.

Tells you how times have changed! John Leiper lived in digs across the road from us in St Budo! Don't think he had a car! I used to go to matches dead early when i first used to go and he was often on the same bus to Milehouse with his little kit bag! Appears to have played 75 games in six years so normally in the shadow of one of the others. We would have had a full Combination side in those days so guess he was fully employed and an excellent back up keeper. Don't kinow if he ever played much for any other league team, came from Aberdeen East End and went on to Chelmsford City (Southern League i guess?).

nice guy tho' which makes up for a lot!! :scarf:

Green as Grass

♣️ North Devon Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jan 5, 2012
Barnstaple
Agree with you Presto. Dave Maclaren was the best. I never forgave Malcolm Allison for selling him to Wolves and bringing in Noel Dwyer for reasons not connected to football. (allegedly). Noel Dwyer had previously starred for Swansea in an FA Cup run but by the time he signed for us he was overweight and his reflexes had gone. I believe this contributed to Malcolm Allison's first exit from Home Park.
Going back to Dave Maclaren I could never understand why he was not picked by Scotland who had many dodgy keepers at this time. Probably because he was at an unfashionable club like Argyle.

E

Every Saturday

We have been blessed with so many great keepers over the years - Furnell, Aleksic, Hodge, Crudgie, Miller, Wilmott, Alan Nicholls, Larrieu

Although we have had a few poor ones from time to time, the good ones really do seem to outnumber the bad ones

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Dave Langmead":ig9e77si said:
Horse":ig9e77si said:
My dad used to talk about Leeper and Sheering in the 60s. But that was ages ago. No idea if tey were good.
In the last few yeras youve got to say Ro & Luke as a couple of keepers fighting for the place were a top pair. Whatever youve got to say about Luke he was a great keeper and Ro is a legend in his service for the club.

Tells you how times have changed! John Leiper lived in digs across the road from us in St Budo! Don't think he had a car! I used to go to matches dead early when i first used to go and he was often on the same bus to Milehouse with his little kit bag! Appears to have played 75 games in six years so normally in the shadow of one of the others. We would have had a full Combination side in those days so guess he was fully employed and an excellent back up keeper. Don't kinow if he ever played much for any other league team, came from Aberdeen East End and went on to Chelmsford City (Southern League i guess?).

Were there two Scottish lads in the digs - John and a reserve centre-forward called Alex Garden? John still attends every home game at HP.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
memory man":3icd0wh1 said:
Dave Langmead":3icd0wh1 said:
Horse":3icd0wh1 said:

Were there two Scottish lads in the digs - John and a reserve centre-forward called Alex Garden? John still attends every home game at HP.

yes there were more players in there. just that JL was fairly noticeable quite tall with a taller haircut!! Don't know how long JL lived there but he moved on in 66 i believe.