False Pretences (message from QPR fan) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

False Pretences (message from QPR fan)

Feb 2, 2007
My late Dad was a QPR ex-player and life long fan. He moved to Plymouth after his playing career was ended prematurely and got a soft spot for Argyle and bought me up to support my local club. Your thoughts mean alot. I am sure we will rise again and I'll be watching your progress closely this season :clap:

J

jannerabroad

Andy_S":298qgxxu said:
:lol:
Epic fail Gramps!!

basically, I just wanted to leave this one message.

Thanks for your kind words.

I too can remember Bill Shortt, Georgie Dews, Maurice Tadman, Gordon Astall, Johnny Porteous.

Doesn't seem like almost 60 years, does it?

Edit to add...How the hell could I forget Jumbo!!!
Indeed they were heady days. I too remember those names and Jumbo was also my favourate player. I am now more confident that Argyle will survive. As I told my Macclesfield friend I hope to be able to wake him on Sunday singing 5-nil. 5-nil, 5-nil.

Aug 21, 2011
Vladivostok
Without getting my anorak on - all from memory - when Argyle were in Div 2 (poss Div 3) 1980's with Waiters as boss (I think) we reached the semi's of the then League Cup. On the way we beat 2 even 3 Div 1 teams (all old money) of which 1 was, I'm sure, QPR.
Again from memory - we didn't just beat them all we actually turned them over and I think away at QPR it was in region of 3 - 0 or even 4-0 to Argyle. We lost the semi to Man City over 2 legs during the time of o/night power cuts to save coal. All games (even midweek) were played in the afternoon.

Memories.

G

Gramps

Andy_S":2csqhxd7 said:
Epic fail Gramps!!

basically, I just wanted to leave this one message.

Thanks for your kind words.

I too can remember Bill Shortt, Georgie Dews, Maurice Tadman, Gordon Astall, Johnny Porteous.

Doesn't seem like almost 60 years, does it?

Edit to add...How the hell could I forget Jumbo!!![/quote

OK Andy, I take your point - a mega epic fail but I just can't keep my mouth shut! As I have several messages to which I must respond, here I am again.

To be honest I can't claim to remember the other names you mention (apart from Porteous) but Bill Shortt I remember because he used to talk to us kids at Loftus Road when we stood behind the goal.

G

Gramps

greenshoots":1z5qm9cf said:
Great to hear from you and this is an example of what football means to a community, binding people together and giving us common ground as well as the opportunity for rivalry and banter. yes we'll survive, in spite of the people who don't care a fig about the soul of football. Which is why it's so important that JB owns us, because he 'gets' it, after a little persuasion from the Trust!
Onwards and upwards

Blimey Greenshoots, for a moment I thought you meant that Joey* Barton owned you (or Jay Bothroyd). Gave me a bit of a scare.

Edit: * for some reason, every time I type Joe with a "y" on the end it is not accepted. Strange. Trying again: Joey, Joey, Joey, Joey, joey

G

Gramps

jespafc":11sp86ck said:
Thanks Gramps. I think all Argyle fans remember the reaction of your fans when we won the Championship back in 2004. Your fans were very gracious and were a credit to QPR. Many of us also still hold Warnock in very high regard so I'm definitely hoping you survive this year.

Jes, we pride ourselves on being good supporters of our club. Of course, as does anybody, there is the odd hothead around but by and large we like to be fair and friendly. Mind you when it comes to a certain Premier League club called Chels** (sorry, that's a rude word) our tolerance does get a bit stretched. :mad:

G

Gramps

Wolves_Green":1vffcj4d said:
Thanks, Any chance of us having Akos back on a season long loan ?

Wolves - sorry, you can't have Buzz (Akos) although, perhaps for a month long loan if we don't get injuries.

Plymouth Argyle 10 - funny you should say that because Jamie Mackie is now in full training but really needs a bit of match practice. I have already suggested on our own forum that he could probably do you green boys a favour if he came on loan for a month.

Verco - Neil Warnock? I am too much of a gentleman to say b***** off so I will say a simple "no way".

Greenskin - Rodney? Diving? No way! :oops:

G

Gramps

tigertony":3ecvmgzm said:
Without getting my anorak on - all from memory - when Argyle were in Div 2 (poss Div 3) 1980's with Waiters as boss (I think) we reached the semi's of the then League Cup. On the way we beat 2 even 3 Div 1 teams (all old money) of which 1 was, I'm sure, QPR.
Again from memory - we didn't just beat them all we actually turned them over and I think away at QPR it was in region of 3 - 0 or even 4-0 to Argyle. We lost the semi to Man City over 2 legs during the time of o/night power cuts to save coal. All games (even midweek) were played in the afternoon.

Memories.

Yes, Tigertony, you've got it nearly right but it was in the fourth round on 20th November 1973 (I was there, unfortunately). You beat us on our own ground 3-0. That was the season we ended up 8th in the First Division (top London club). Two years later we were runners up in Div 1 just one point short of Liverpool.

Thank you soooooo much for reminding me of that humiliation! :oops: :lol:

G

Gramps

OK Guys, as I had an epic failure in posting just one message, I have replied to most of you individually so might as well make the most of it. To the rest I say thank you for your gracious comments about the team I love. You obviously are all passionate supporters of your team and for that I applaud you :clap:

Get to it green guys and show the football world what TRUE supporters are all about.

Nov 27, 2010
Gramps":1lrk2i9z said:
OK Guys, as I had an epic failure in posting just one message, I have replied to most of you individually so might as well make the most of it. To the rest I say thank you for your gracious comments about the team I love. You obviously are all passionate supporters of your team and for that I applaud you :clap:

Get to it green guys and show the football world what TRUE supporters are all about.

You might as well stay now Gramps, one message turns to eight which turns to 100...

G

Gramps

Be assured I shall keep in touch. I feel as if I am amongst friends here.

Come on you Rrrrrrrrrrssssssss (OK, I guess that gets me banned for life now). :lol:

B

bristol-green-blood

Oh that night in West London was fantastic - especially the race back to St Pancras for the train to Loughborough for Uni lectures next day. Not so good was the Rodney Marsh dive in the box in front of the Devonport End boxing day 1967 or 68. All hell broke loose especially when Marsh scored the penalty and gave a sign to the masses in the DE. Still the 2 - 0 promotion game when we also got Dad in for his last game at HP was great. He still listens on the radio but he feels that at 91 he is past watching the greens in person.

G

Gramps

Well guys, it is a long time since I appeared here but you can be assured that I have continued to watch Argyle's results closely and I am delighted to see that your fortunes have changed and you are safe. I sincerely hope you can build on that and have a really good season in 2012/13.

I just wish I could feel as happy about my team's season. Most of us are pretty gutted that the big money, big name signings have rather let us down in many respects. Particularly Cissé who was supposed to be our salvation but has missed seven games through suspension and also Barton has done little to justify his 80 grand a week. I was personally sorry to see Neil Warnock go, especially as results have not been a lot better under Mark Hughes. Still, perhaps we can get some sort of consistent form going in the Championship next season. I cannot see us staying up. So much depends on the Bolton v Spurs match tonight.

Anyway, enough of my woes. Go to it Argyle - I'll be watching you and cheering from afar next season.

Incidentally, my book "QPR - The Old Days" has raised (with Gift Aid) in excess of £2600. Sales have died off now but I am pleased with the end result which will do much to help the Downs Syndrome kids.