England vs Belgium | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England vs Belgium

Nov 18, 2011
Not would I mate. Not many alternatives for Maguire though. Unfortunately.
Yep, Dunk gave a good example of how there's quite a drop off from Maguire with some of the alternatives.

I thought it was sad watching Chilwell, there was a good player there once but it looks like those injuries have wrecked his career.

Defence is not great and if there's a situation like yesterday with a couple of first teamers out then a decent team will find a way through them.

You can almost understand Southgate playing cautiously when then the defence isn't good enough.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Apparently Rashford is carrying a injury since February
Is it hurty feelings? I agree he shouldn’t be near the team. Maybe a sub.

Sep 6, 2006
Yep, Dunk gave a good example of how there's quite a drop off from Maguire with some of the alternatives.

I thought it was sad watching Chilwell, there was a good player there once but it looks like those injuries have wrecked his career.

Defence is not great and if there's a situation like yesterday with a couple of first teamers out then a decent team will find a way through them.

You can almost understand Southgate playing cautiously when then the defence isn't good enough.
Bit of an over reaction. Belgium had 3 shots on target all night, 2 from stupid errors. Defence not that bad.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Couple of thoughts.

If Rashford has been carrying knock since Feb it doesn't explain his poor form prior to that.

Branthwaite must be frustrated to not get a chance to make a claim for a place. A friendly with so many players missing, now he might not get an opportunity again.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Apparently Rashford is carrying a injury since February
Ah, right. Something definitely amiss. The only thing worse than our penalty shoot out record is our record of taking injured players to tournaments.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Personally I wouldn't have Rashford or Maguire anywhere near the side. Maguire simply not quick enough for the modern game and Rashford simply seems distracted.

I think Rashford (or a winger who likes to go in behind) gives the best balance as Kane likes to drop in the 10 spaces and Saka tends to cut inside.

For me Foden flatters to deceive in an England shirt. Aesthetically he is a nice player to watch but very rarely has consistent end product for England. I don’t prescribe to the criticism of Southgate around Foden and that “we should be building the team around him”. Bellingham and Saka are consistently better for England, and arguably for their clubs as well. Elite players make elite contributions and he hasn’t been doing that.

As for Maguire, there really aren’t any better options right now and he tends to perform well for England.

After this tournament I do think it’s time to move on quite a few players and start building around a new core. We shouldn’t be seeing guys like Maguire, Henderson or Trippier after the summer and need to start giving some of the younger lads proper competitive minutes to building for the 2026 World Cup. For me that means consistently getting Trent in the right back position and making it work, letting Mainoo and Rice build a midfield partnership and finding a young defender to partner John Stones (Guehi, Colwill, Branthwaite most likely).

It is a real shame that Ben White doesn’t want to play for England, he is a talented player and would be our best centre back next to Stones and arguably the second choice as a defensive right back after Walker.

Reactions: Emu and memory man

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I think Rashford (or a winger who likes to go in behind) gives the best balance as Kane likes to drop in the 10 spaces and Saka tends to cut inside.

For me Foden flatters to deceive in an England shirt. Aesthetically he is a nice player to watch but very rarely has consistent end product for England. I don’t prescribe to the criticism of Southgate around Foden and that “we should be building the team around him”. Bellingham and Saka are consistently better for England, and arguably for their clubs as well. Elite players make elite contributions and he hasn’t been doing that.

As for Maguire, there really aren’t any better options right now and he tends to perform well for England.

After this tournament I do think it’s time to move on quite a few players and start building around a new core. We shouldn’t be seeing guys like Maguire, Henderson or Trippier after the summer and need to start giving some of the younger lads proper competitive minutes to building for the 2026 World Cup. For me that means consistently getting Trent in the right back position and making it work, letting Mainoo and Rice build a midfield partnership and finding a young defender to partner John Stones (Guehi, Colwill, Branthwaite most likely).

It is a real shame that Ben White doesn’t want to play for England, he is a talented player and would be our best centre back next to Stones and arguably the second choice as a defensive right back after Walker.
Was Branthwaite fit for last night? I would have thought he was ahead of Dunk and last night was a great opportunity to try him for 75 minutes.

Sep 13, 2003
Lots of decent performances, however Chilwell, Dunk and Gomez have been poor. Couple of poor errors have cost us tonight, fans doing a Mexican wave when we are losing has upset me more than it should have .
That was the Belgium fans who were starting the Mexican wave in the last quarter of the game. The north stand next to it is the family stand so of course the kids are going to join in with the Mexican wave. As soon as it got to the hardcore it stopped.

I know Southgate's done OK, but I think he should have won something by now when defenders like Maguire, Stones, Shaw and Walker were closer to their respective primes.
The two top current options to replace each respective position are Colwill/Branthwaite, Tomori/Guehi, Chilwell/Henry and Trent/James.
For me, the biggest drops in defensive quality are at LB and RCB, but Southgate makes it worse by making stupid decisions like playing the right-footed Dunk at LCB.
Dunk made the error, but Southgate invited the situation that led to it.

As for Mainoo, he is going to be some player and, with Rice and Bellingham, will be a vital part of a young, tenacious and dynamic midfield triumvirate for years.

Back to Southgate, please lord, make him Man Utd's manager - that would be funny af.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
That was the Belgium fans who were starting the Mexican wave in the last quarter of the game. The north stand next to it is the family stand so of course the kids are going to join in with the Mexican wave. As soon as it got to the hardcore it stopped.
I could see it on TV mate. England fans in the bottom tier. I go to lots of England games as well bud, I can spot an England fan from a Belgium one. They showed them enough on the tv last night.