England v Panama | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England v Panama

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Back on subject then!

I fear I might be starting to believe we may have a chance. Yes we've played 2 comparatively poor teams and our first real test will be Thursday, however what we've got are signs of a team who believe, no in fighting, a drive to go forward and plenty of players who can score.

Few things we need to work on though, such as the loose balls and defensive communication. Sort those out and we can be a strong team.

Backed up by the fact our odds to win the competition have fallen and the other "big" teams (Germany, Brazil, Argentina etc) aren't having the best of starts.

Fingers are firmly crossed for a good run this year, and even if we don't win, I think we've got the start of something great.

Oct 24, 2010
MickyD":mnjkkv5a said:
Good grief. Even a thread on a pretty mind-boggling England win descends into a slanging match.
He's a rare talent that Balham Green

Sep 6, 2006
esmer":1594w1xv said:
MickyD":1594w1xv said:
Good grief. Even a thread on a pretty mind-boggling England win descends into a slanging match.
He's a rare talent that Balham Green

What do you expect if some deluded individuals try to compare beating Panama with Germany away!! :funny: :crazy:

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
I think Southgate was referring the start and the end where some of the defending was a little sloppy, but he enjoyed the bit in-between.

Watched in Manhattan. After the game there was a group of lads surrounding another lad and chanting "One Randy Philips".

I was still somewhat groggy from the previous night, but turns out it was the New York soccer superstar Bradley Wright-Philips, all decked out in his England shirt. I thought he looked familiar.

Cracking performance by England though. No matter what the usual miserable gits say, it's an absolute truism that previous England teams would have struggled to put Panama away as convincingly, if at all. If you can't enjoy a win like that at this level, then it's a sad state of affairs.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":3b1wewg2 said:
Lundan Cabbie":3b1wewg2 said:
Knibbsworth":3b1wewg2 said:
Lee Pitt":3b1wewg2 said:
It wasn’t a friendly against Germany, it was a World Cup qualifier in their territory.

Fair enough, still it was a terrible German team by their standards and not at a World Cup finals. Fans all over the world just watched that.

Would that be the German team that shrugged off being beaten in a World Cup Qualifier by England, on their own turf and went on to win the competition? :greensmile:

I thought Brazil won in 2002? Ronaldinho lobbing Seaman in the quarter final, the game that many thought should have been the final.

You're right. The Germans were runners-up

Oct 31, 2015
Anyway well done England I enjoyed the first 45 and thats something for me to say as I cant stand Premiership Primos. For the first time in years the youngsters proved that you can be proud to wear the 3 lions and earn millions with your club (take note teams of 2014, 2010, 2006) :oops:

Now move onto Belgium. Suspect a few changes by both teams but I really hope not.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Why is ITV's Gabriel Clark oh so serious? Lighten up.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Personally I thought we looked shaky at the back and we were sloppy in possession at times.

I enjoyed the Tunisia performance more in a lot of ways, as Panama were atrocious and a warning of perhaps the standard of teams we can expect when the competition comprises 48 teams. They had moments of very decent football, but overall their tactics were narrowed down to bullying and cheating and they seemed shocked when an international referee actually picked up on that.

Anyway, if Martinez does rest a fair few Belgium players, we may not get a proper test until the 2nd round and I just hope the players will be able to kick into gear.

Sep 6, 2006
jespafc":cvsofwyq said:
Personally I thought we looked shaky at the back and we were sloppy in possession at times.

I enjoyed the Tunisia performance more in a lot of ways, as Panama were atrocious and a warning of perhaps the standard of teams we can expect when the competition comprises 48 teams. They had moments of very decent football, but overall their tactics were narrowed down to bullying and cheating and they seemed shocked when an international referee actually picked up on that.

Anyway, if Martinez does rest a fair few Belgium players, we may not get a proper test until the 2nd round and I just hope the players will be able to kick into gear.

Agreed. But according to the likes of Knibbsworth everything is wonderful if you win and beating Panama is at least on a par with beating Germany just because a lot of people were watching. :crazy: And of course the Germany game was a friendly (NOT). and Panama have beaten USA (NOT).