England V Denmark | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England V Denmark

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Was the foul with the knee or the arm?

To Knibbsworth, why should a foul in a Euro semi-final be judged any differently than a foul in an EFL game, for example.
Interesting that you want to rely on Keane, Wenger and Mourinho. Did you never see them disagreeing with a referee’s decision depending on whether it was for or against their team.
You even suggested previously that the referee’s decision was corrupt.
I know that you are an Argyle supporter but perhaps you don’t support England.

Aug 5, 2016
PL2 3DQ":3nlzp81j said:

The Denmark player isn't even making a challenge. Their shin pads are just brushing together, not even hard enough to push Sterling's right leg off course.

Do you really think that is enough to make a grown man arch his head and shoulders back and collapse to the floor like he has been struck by lightning?

I am trying my best not to use the words diving or cheating, but Sterling was clearly waiting for any contact whatsoever to take a tumble.

Imagine that is a rugby ball in his arms, and is that minute speck of contact enough to stop a winger going through and scoring a try? No rugby player in the world is going to be stopped by the first slightest bit of friction they feel.

Anyway it is time to move on. He 'won' the penalty and is a hero, as I meant by my initial point, I just felt a little sorry for Denmark on the night and it is harder to take pride in victory when they come in such dubious circumstances.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
I think it’s sad that people can’t enjoy the good times and have to find a way to pick fault with it. It’s the same with Argyle, whenever we do well there’s someone picking fault and trying to bring the mood down.

Maybe we should stop going on about 1966 because the ball was nowhere near crossing the line. We got the result but is tainted by a poor linesman’s decision.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Knibbsworth":2d9mhq5p said:
PL2 3DQ":2d9mhq5p said:

The Denmark player isn't even making a challenge. Their shin pads are just brushing together, not even hard enough to push Sterling's right leg off course.

Do you really think that is enough to make a grown man arch his head and shoulders back and collapse to the floor like he has been struck by lightning?

I am trying my best not to use the words diving or cheating, but Sterling was clearly waiting for any contact whatsoever to take a tumble.

Imagine that is a rugby ball in his arms, and is that minute speck of contact enough to stop a winger going through and scoring a try? No rugby player in the world is going to be stopped by the first slightest bit of friction they feel.

Anyway it is time to move on. He 'won' the penalty and is a hero, as I meant by my initial point, I just felt a little sorry for Denmark on the night and it is harder to take pride in victory when they come in such dubious circumstances.

I'll say it again. No sympathy whatsoever for Denmark.
Poulsen dived to gain a penalty against Finland.
Damsgaard was booked for diving in the box against Belgium.
The fact that they are manking on about this incident now has a certain irony. As if England are obligated to play to some sort of higher standard of fair play than anyone else.
I find it hillarious reading comments by Danes and fans of other national teams, unaware of their own irony, saying they are supporting Italy because England dived... :funny:
For what it's worth, I don't think it's a dive, he's traveling at pace and two defenders buffet him... we'd all call that a penalty on a Saturday at Home Park.

Feb 24, 2009
Paignton, Devon
:funny: having just caught this thread I can't believe how indignant and annoyed some England fans are with us having got through on a 'dubious' penalty. Was it a penalty? I thought it was and, more importantly, so did the referee. Remember, VAR can only overturn a decision by the referee if the pictures show he made a clear and obvious mistake.

As MGM's excellent post detailed, there have been many occasions when England have been on the wrong end of refereeing decisions so am I going to bitch about one that, apparently, went our way? No, I'm going to bloody enjoy it, YES!!

I smiled the next day when the headlines in the Italian papers were along the lines of 'England dive into final'...The masters of the dark arts calling the kettle black. Fingers crossed the Italians are potless at the end of the match.

Bring it on!

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Hores Everywhere":3t0yq1js said:
:funny: having just caught this thread I can't believe how indignant and annoyed some England fans are with us having got through on a 'dubious' penalty. Was it a penalty? I thought it was and, more importantly, so did the referee. Remember, VAR can only overturn a decision by the referee if the pictures show he made a clear and obvious mistake.

As MGM's excellent post detailed, there have been many occasions when England have been on the wrong end of refereeing decisions so am I going to bitch about one that, apparently, went our way? No, I'm going to bloody enjoy it, YES!!

I smiled the next day when the headlines in the Italian papers were along the lines of 'England dive into final'...The masters of the dark arts calling the kettle black. Fingers crossed the Italians are potless at the end of the match.

Bring it on!

After the Immobile dramatics the Italians have nothing to say against Sterling.

I hope the ref is prepped for the theatrics as it would be rubbish for the game to be decided by a penalty following and Immobile drama.

Aug 14, 2014
The photo uploaded by PL2 3DQ in this thread reminds me of the "colour plates" that appeared in the football books of the mid and late 1950s (my era) and probably in the years before. The "off-colours" and lack of sharpness of those pictures were their trademark and were essentially used as action pictures or portraits of the top players of that time.

Of course, the players of that era and before were never grounded in the penalty area by a feather, a puff of wind, or a blade of grass. A lot of hefty challenges must have gone unpunished but post mortems by the few if any pundits were handicapped by the lack of multiple camera angles.

The "dark arts" were realtively unknown, but were evolving as we Argyle fans well know, being aware of the betting scandal of the early 1960s.

Different times but the outcome of matches was still influenced by incorrect, inadequate or unseen refereeing decisions as well as over robust and questionable challenges by players.

Perhaps an opportunity has been lost during lockdown to experiment with stopping a game every 5mins, review the camera footage by a panel of experts, and to alter the course of the match according to what the referee missed. What a spectacle that would be, American Football (Grid-iron) comes to mind. Football is a live game for spectators in the stadium, lets endeavour to keep it that way.