England V Denmark | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

England V Denmark

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Emu":3khvizot said:
demportdave":3khvizot said:
A lucky win but luck plays a big part in sport so I'm glad it went our way.

Gary Neville gone up big time in my eyes for his very obvious implied criticism of Boris Johnson with regard to his poor leadership and constant dishonesty compared to the England Manager.

Lucky?? :crazy:

Maybe Dave was a #southgateout person when team was announced v Croatia. What happened to them? :think:

May 22, 2006
Watching England is more stressful than watching Argyle.

The England penalty was no more or less of a foul than the award for the freekick from which Denmark scored. Overall England dominated the game and created many more chances than the tiring Danes.

England deserve to be in the final. They have the best squad in terms of in depth squad skill and always have great options from the bench. Southgate must be the most pragmatic manager of all time but at least he gets results. He doesn't trust his back four so plays two defensive midfielders to protect them. The team doesn't concede goals. The Danes were knackered after a tough tournament both mentally and physically after periods of extra time. We are winning after 105 minutes. A third goal kills off the Danes. They go down to ten men. Only Southgate could think of not using a full range of English subs to freshen his side, and to take off Grealish and replace him with yet another defender. You suspect that if he could play two goal keepers he would. It allows Denmark to be far more attacking for the next 5-10 minutes. But it works and there is joy for the nation.

It's win at all costs and working. We need this after 55 years of failure and a tough last 18 months. Despite this, I hope Lowe doesn't get too many tactical ideas from this.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Clarke_B":11adhw3v said:
greeneagle":11adhw3v said:
Just saw this……..what a pig.
Kevin Maguire
@Kevin_Maguire
CCTV everywhere so the idiot who shone a laser pen at Casper Schmeichel during the penalty should be pictured, identified, prosecuted, jailed, shamed and banned from football for life. Dangerous idiot #Euro2020
8:10 AM · Jul 8, 2021

I noticed that in the 2nd half Green Eagle, came from the south stand somewhere, surprised the referee didn't stop the game (although the ref didn't have a great game). I don't think Schmeichel even noticed though. Those idiots shine those pens on planes coming into Heathrow and even the police helicopter and people do get prosecuted so hopefully they find the idiot.

Was that why the ref talked to the UEFA official before the kick-off of the second half? He seemed to be reporting something (I wasn't paying attention to the commentary team at the time, so I'm not sure what they said).

Dec 30, 2020
Balham_Green":21psh6cv said:
Cobi Budge":21psh6cv said:
This “England were lucky” agenda is hilarious. More efforts than Denmark, more on target, more possession. Denmark also should have had several more yellows. A soft penalty? Perhaps but there was some contact. We are deserving finalists

Exactly Cobi. Demportdave has the luc ky bit wrong. Should have had a pen in 2nd half for foul on Kane. Not sure it was free kick for their goal either.
Anyway if you spend so much time in your penalty area as Denmark did from 70th min on something often gives.

The element of 'luck' we had wasn't with the penalty so much as the organisation of the tournament - Denmark had to fly to Amsterdam to Baku and then back to London for their knock out games which is well over 6,000 miles in the space of the week. That had to be a factor in why they were basically out on their feet after an hour.

There have been a few anomalies like that. Wales had a similarly extreme travel schedule for their group games. Switzerland had three days more rest than France prior to their second round game (which perhaps enabled them to put on the game of the tournament).

No-one will remember this when the results go into the history books of course - and England's extra spriteliness also came from our deep squad and the way that Southgate has rotated players throughout the tournament. What a fantastic job he has done, just one more big effort on Sunday!

Sep 13, 2003
Everyone knew the format of the tournament before it started and the route it could have played out. If England finished 2nd we would have been playing in Copenhagen, then in St Petersburg. If we finished in third it would have taken us to Seville/Glasgow/Budapest then onto Baku after. Thankfully we finished top.

The Welsh did moan after they were thrashed using the mileage excuse, well they should have complained to Uefa back in 2014 when the hosts were originally decided or maybe after the draw was made in 2019.

Sep 6, 2006
greenpilled":2ye63q5g said:
Balham_Green":2ye63q5g said:
Cobi Budge":2ye63q5g said:
This “England were lucky” agenda is hilarious. More efforts than Denmark, more on target, more possession. Denmark also should have had several more yellows. A soft penalty? Perhaps but there was some contact. We are deserving finalists

Exactly Cobi. Demportdave has the luc ky bit wrong. Should have had a pen in 2nd half for foul on Kane. Not sure it was free kick for their goal either.
Anyway if you spend so much time in your penalty area as Denmark did from 70th min on something often gives.

The element of 'luck' we had wasn't with the penalty so much as the organisation of the tournament - Denmark had to fly to Amsterdam to Baku and then back to London for their knock out games which is well over 6,000 miles in the space of the week. That had to be a factor in why they were basically out on their feet after an hour.

There have been a few anomalies like that. Wales had a similarly extreme travel schedule for their group games. Switzerland had three days more rest than France prior to their second round game (which perhaps enabled them to put on the game of the tournament).

No-one will remember this when the results go into the history books of course - and England's extra spriteliness also came from our deep squad and the way that Southgate has rotated players throughout the tournament. What a fantastic job he has done, just one more big effort on Sunday!

I don't really think its a big deal sitting in first class for 6 hours on a flight and 5 star accommodation wherever they go. Compare that to Argyle's travels sat on a bus. The Welsh will always winge. Unable to accept they are not good enough. The big disadvantage now is we have 1 less day to recover than Italy.

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
The extra-time caused travel chaos for many of us last night, anyone catching the last train out of either Paddington or Waterloo would have missed (and did) unless they left early. Uber made a fortune. It could be even worse on Sunday so, anyone who is lucky to get a ticket needs a plan B if extra-time and penalties are used. Book a hotel would be my advice.

Fantastic atmosphere obviously. We will have to play better Sunday though. Our midfield was outplayed by Denmark in the first half.

Sep 6, 2006
Dreamgreen":ti3pq769 said:
The extra-time caused travel chaos for many of us last night, anyone catching the last train out of either Paddington or Waterloo would have missed (and did) unless they left early. Uber made a fortune. It could be even worse on Sunday so, anyone who is lucky to get a ticket needs a plan B if extra-time and penalties are used. Book a hotel would be my advice.

Fantastic atmosphere obviously. We will have to play better Sunday though. Our midfield was outplayed by Denmark in the first half.

Don't get why its such a late ko. For those watching in Eastern Europe it will be late at night. And not much time for the rest of us to celebrate or drown our sorrows before a working day!
Agree re needing to improve but Rice and Phillips are not particularly creative. Glad we are not playing Spain as we wouldn't get the ball!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Dreamgreen":1wogru8h said:

I know that nobody likes to compare stats unless they happen to prove their point.
However, I don’t know the BBC stats for the first 45 minutes but, for the whole game:-
England Possession 58%, Denmark 42%
England Shots 20 Denmark 6
England Shots on target 10 Denmark 3
England Corners 6 Denmark 5
England Fouls 10 Denmark 21
That doesn’t look lucky to me.
Oh, by the way
Goals scored England 2 Denmark 1

Sep 6, 2006
davie nine":zcakivsw said:
Dreamgreen":zcakivsw said:

I know that nobody likes to compare stats unless they happen to prove their point.
However, I don’t know the BBC stats for the first 45 minutes but, for the whole game:-
Oh, by the way

He didn't say we were lucky.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Balham_Green":26oltb52 said:
davie nine":26oltb52 said:
Dreamgreen":26oltb52 said:

Oh, by the way

He didn't say we were lucky.
Maybe not, but I just don’t agree that Denmark’s midfield outplayed us in the first half.
Certainly, we eere more dominant second half and extra time.

Mar 14, 2009
I think we were the better team. I mean we were the team that looked likely to score.

At times l would like us to be a little more positive with the ball. I think Rice and Phillips do such a great job covering but l wonder against the Italians if we will need more creativity to open them up. And yes we can make substitutions but then l wonder if we swap one of them for a Bellingham or a Henderson if this will this expose us defensively.

For me it’s hard to question Southgate because of reaching a final. I mean we don’t get to finals. And now we have reached on. Yet to get us to win this tournament l feel we are going to need more quality from open play.

I look at Mount and the wonderful work energy he gives us but l wonder if we could do with more creativity in that position currently.

Walker had a fantastic game. So did Shaw. Shaw gives us so much more going forward than Walker. Yet Walker gives us pace at the back to cover.

To win against the Italians would be amazing. Would be one of the greatest sporting things l've ever witnessed.

However, it’s a tough game. They have the Italian know how to get over the line. I’ve watched Cheisa, their right sided no14, and he just looks quality. Whatever happens we have finally moved on from ‘90 and ‘96. We have beaten the Germans. We have got past a semi final stage in a knockout tournament.

Whether we win or lose we should be very proud.

Dec 30, 2020
Balham_Green":g1xqgkht said:
greenpilled":g1xqgkht said:
Balham_Green":g1xqgkht said:
Cobi Budge":g1xqgkht said:

I don't really think its a big deal sitting in first class for 6 hours on a flight and 5 star accommodation wherever they go. Compare that to Argyle's travels sat on a bus. The Welsh will always winge. Unable to accept they are not good enough. The big disadvantage now is we have 1 less day to recover than Italy.

That's certainly a view, though perhaps not one that would stand up to a great deal of scrutiny from people who've done much research into preparation for elite level sports. Flying from Western Europe to the Caspian Sea and back in the week prior to the game, several thousand miles over multiple time zones, is likely to have fatigued the Danish players. They certainly seemed to tire earlier than their English counterparts, though as I said previously, the way Southgate has rotated the squad throughout the tournament will also have been a factor.