Dunfermline Athletic - historical connection with Argyle? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Dunfermline Athletic - historical connection with Argyle?

Jan 16, 2016
Southampton
Yep, it was a lovely place to stay. My then two year old son was taken by the "red bridge for trains". Now he's four and going to his first match at Swindon next week. I digress but that's a big moment for a dad!

May 16, 2016
I mentioned the Argyle link recently to an ex Rosyth area Policeman and he looked bemused and said he'd never heard it ! He mentioned something about 'Para.....'

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yeah I get that, it certainly wasn't that well known when I lived up there. The PAR golf connection was the one that I heard most.

Mark58

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Feb 19, 2018
memory man":15uql6n9 said:
I have spent quite a lot of time in Crombie, the ammo depot for Rosyth and have worked with many Dunfermline people. I cannot recall one who gave me an alternative to Plymouth Argyle Rosyth Supporters. There is another perhaps less well known link between the two places. The houses in Pemros Road in St Budeaux (ie the houses that run up as far as the bungalows at the top end) were built to house imported Dockyard workers from Pembroke Dock and Rosyth.

I bought one of those houses in 1975. It was No. 60 and was my first experience of home ownership. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be! :lol:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
IJN":1m60c4zc said:
No shore base. He was too senior for anything but them and Aircraft Carriers. As he was in ‘Supplies’ he couldn’t do frigates or destroyers (if that makes sense) as they were deemed too small for a Commander S as they were known.

I think if you were classified as a Flotilla Commander S you were able to sail on a frigate, but you had responsibility for supplies etc to the whole flotilla, especially if it was a 'round the world' goodwill trip flying the white ensign. I doubt whether it is the same now, given the reduced size of the surface fleet. .

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Sounds right, although it always confused me that he was a 'Commander S' but only a Lt Cdr. :greensmile:

I spent great days in Dunfs we lived at 44, Halbeath Road, which was 'next door' to East End Park (albeit with a car park in between), I got two tickets for the SFA Final (v Hearts which we win 3-1) from Paddy Gardner who lived a few doors up from us, he just happened to score two goals at Hamden as well. As I say, great days.

May 16, 2016
I'm sure I was in a Nightclub / Disco thingy there in the late 70s or early 80s and bizarrely, the Blokes stood around in the middle and the Girls kind of circled around them like some weird Wagon Train defensive manoeuvre.
It may have been the other way around and I was not describable as Sober.

Maybe it was some old Celtic mating ritual I'd stumbled into, which in those days, most of my nights out were planned in the hope of achieving something along those lines.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
IJN":3eqg4m58 said:
No shore base. He was too senior for anything but them and Aircraft Carriers. As he was in ‘Supplies’ he couldn’t do frigates or destroyers (if that makes sense) as they were deemed too small for a Commander S as they were known.

Is that where the phrase: 'Too big for his boats' comes from? :think:
:coat:

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Guiri Green":3kme5dbi said:
I'm sure I was in a Nightclub / Disco thingy there in the late 70s or early 80s and bizarrely, the Blokes stood around in the middle and the Girls kind of circled around them like some weird Wagon Train defensive manoeuvre.
It may have been the other way around and I was not describable as Sober.

Maybe it was some old Celtic mating ritual I'd stumbled into, which in those days, most of my nights out were planned in the hope of achieving something along those lines.

I think you may have been confused as to which gender were actually wearing skirts. It was Scotland after all!

Aug 5, 2005
From the Dunfermline Athletic website -

It is clear that they started to be known as the Pars in the early 1900s but the exact reason for the nickname being adopted have never been fully known. A number of historians have made attempts to find out and the most popular explanations are as follows:-

1. At one time the team were playing so badly that they were nickname the `Paralytics which was shortened to The Pars.
2. In the early pat of the 20th century when Rosyth Naval Base was opened, sailors from the south came to watch Dunfermline and unfurled a banner reading `Plymouth Argyle (Rosyth) Supporters.
3.When Dunfermline gained league status they were called the Pars because they were nor on par with other teams.
4. When the team first sported black and white stripes they were called the Pars because their colours resembled the parr, a fish.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
IJN":740tltne said:
Sounds right, although it always confused me that he was a 'Commander S' but only a Lt Cdr.

'Commander S' is the position he held, his rank did not have to match the title.

e.g. The person in charge of a ship is called Captain of HMS xxx, but could be anything from a Lt. for a small ship up to an actual Captain for something big. Interestingly both the C.O.s of the new Carrier held the rank of Commodore, but wear Captain insignia whilst being her C.O.

Jul 15, 2011
I was at Rosyth 1985 to 1987, which included the period when they got privatised. I lived in Crossford just outside Dunfermline itself. I really enjoyed living up there....but there wasnt a lot of summertime!
As well as DAFC i remember two queues at town centre bus stops every Saturday, one each for fans heading to Celtic and Rangers.
I recall it being particularly hard to follow Argyle up there...in pre internet days....which was a pity with Argyle doing so well at that time....

Happy days.... :greensmile:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
You used to be able to buy the Sunday Independent on Mondays up there.