Dunfermline Athletic - historical connection with Argyle? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Dunfermline Athletic - historical connection with Argyle?

Dec 29, 2015
This has probably been mentioned before but I have recently learned about a possible link between DAFC and Argyle. One of four possible explanations for their nickname 'The Pars' is that a group of sailors unfurled a banner at their ground which read Plymouth Argyle Rosyth Supporters, Rosyth being the local dockyard. Coincidentally I remember that we had neighbours in Plymouth who had moved down from Dunfermline and supported Athletic.

Aug 5, 2015
I expect quite a few people have moved between Devonport, Rosyth, Chatham and Portsmouth over the years

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Plymouth Argyle Rosyth Supporters was one theory, the other being 'par' is a golfing term for average and that's the word to describe them (told to me by a Pars fan).

When I was up there in the late 60s' (their best EVER period) I heard the Argyle link many times.

By the way a few Pars facts which may surprise you.

1) Dunfermline were the first Scottish side to beat an English side in Europe (West Brom) on aggregate.
2) The late great Jock Stein was their manager in the late 60's.
3) Alex Ferguson played for them in the late 60's.
4) They got to the quarters of the European Cup Winners Cup. On the way beating Apoel Nicosia 10-1 at East End Park (I was there :greensmile: ) and Olympiakos 4-0.

Good days, and saw at least three games a week, including East Fife, Motherwell and sometimes Raith Rovers.

Jun 4, 2015
Ford
Yes, me too. My dad was based at Rosyth between 1970-1973 and I became something of an avid follower of DAFC during that period, attending every single Saturday for either a 1st team or Reserve League game (replete with black, white and green Argyle scarf!). If I recall correctly, the town is twinned with Trondheim in Norway and saw a couple of friendly games between the Pars and Rosenborg - unfortunately, I arrived just a couple of years too late to witness their European exploits for real. Happy times indeed.

May 31, 2010
Plymouth
My father was 'promoted' to Rosyth in the mid-sixties but eventually turned it down and stayed in Devonport, so maybe he would have been one of the PARS. The thought of the move made him ill.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Pretty historical link too. My Grandfather was in the navy in WW1. My Dad lived up there from 1916 to 1926 when he moved back to Devonport. My Dad lived in Inverkeithing and he always talked about Dunfermline being the 'local' team for the Rosyth area.
Don't think Dad ever went to an Argyle match in his life mind!! Though he did caddy and recover lost golf balls and sell them back at St Andrews!!

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
I have spent quite a lot of time in Crombie, the ammo depot for Rosyth and have worked with many Dunfermline people. I cannot recall one who gave me an alternative to Plymouth Argyle Rosyth Supporters. There is another perhaps less well known link between the two places. The houses in Pemros Road in St Budeaux (ie the houses that run up as far as the bungalows at the top end) were built to house imported Dockyard workers from Pembroke Dock and Rosyth.

Oct 31, 2015
Kentishgreen":y8s1fg1n said:
I expect quite a few people have moved between Devonport, Rosyth, Chatham and Portsmouth over the years

I have done 3 of them. Too young for Chatham :thumbup:

Dumfs is a decent town. Used to watch their football as well

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
No shore base. He was too senior for anything but them and Aircraft Carriers. As he was in ‘Supplies’ he couldn’t do frigates or destroyers (if that makes sense) as they were deemed too small for a Commander S as they were known.

Jan 16, 2016
Southampton
I visited Edinburgh a couple of years ago and the chap we were staying with in Queensferry was thrilled when I mentioned supporting Argyle (makes a change from the usual pity or bewilderment!) and proceeded to tell me the story at some length.

He added the detail that Rosyth was the younger dockyard, established early in the twentieth century because of the need for an east coast port to counter the threat of imperial Germany. Since no workforce was available locally, one was imported from Devonport. They became the Plymouth Argyle Rosyth Supporters, or PARS.

Personally I think it's a bit fanciful but an interesting story nonetheless.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Used to love Queensferry. Used to do a lot of fishing under the bridge.

Saw my first ever whale in the Forth from that jetty.