Don’t get too high and don’t get too low | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Don’t get too high and don’t get too low

Jan 6, 2004
I normally agree with your comments but some fans are ,quite rightly IMO, questioning the mentality of the team as a whole in certain games . This was not a one off and has happened over the past few seasons. You can excuse one or two for having an off game and some not being of sufficient quality but it is strange when all the players fail to turn up
in important games.
I think this happens to most teams every now and then - look at Norwich and particularly Middlesborough against us. Every now and then there is some combination of factors that leads to woeful team performances

Reactions: oldage
Feb 11, 2024
Everyone keeps banging on about the budget because it's highly relevant.

So why don't we adopt tactics that are more pragmatic and in line with our budgetary limitations and the players we sign?

Every game, we set up with 3 forwards and only 2 in central midfield in the hope that we can outscore Championship clubs like we did in League 1 last season.

That would be all well and good if we had the budget to sign top quality Championship players to play such an open and expansive style, but we don't.
We had a manager who changed us to a more "pragmatic team" that didnt end too well. A case of damned if you do, damned if you dont. Were simply league 1 and 1/2 standard, just hope we can limp over the line then a big rebuild in the summer

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Would it? People keep saying we only need a point. If wednesday win today, and either they or huds win their last 2, their 6 (hyperthetical) points would leapfrog the 5 points we would have with an extra point.
With Birmingham playing Huddersfield next weekend at least one of them will drop points, if not both. If Wednesday do win today then a point would put us ahead of Blackburn on goal difference. They have Coventry and Leicester in their last two games. Huddersfield also have to play Ipswich, and Wednesday have to play West Brom. Birmingham's last game is Norwich. It's highly unlikely any will win both, and one point should be enough. It might not be, but it would take an usual combination of results for that.

Reactions: abandonedhope
Sep 6, 2006
With Birmingham playing Huddersfield next weekend at least one of them will drop points, if not both. If Wednesday do win today then a point would put us ahead of Blackburn on goal difference. They have Coventry and Leicester in their last two games. Huddersfield also have to play Ipswich, and Wednesday have to play West Brom. Birmingham's last game is Norwich. It's highly unlikely any will win both, and one point should be enough. It might not be, but it would take an usual combination of results for that.
Problem is I can't see us getting a point!

Jul 12, 2016
The only way we will get a point now is a goalless draw. The season could continue for ten more games and I couldn’t see us scoring. Can’t remember the last time I thought like this but we can’t buy a goal at the moment.

Apr 1, 2013
The only way we will get a point now is a goalless draw. The season could continue for ten more games and I couldn’t see us scoring. Can’t remember the last time I thought like this but we can’t buy a goal at the moment.
Bundu scored a great goal only last week

Apr 11, 2023
I'm chilled unless we go into the bottom 3. At that point (probably at Home against Hull) I won't be!

Mar 30, 2024
You forget to add Wembley last year to that list. 40 thousand fans and the team don’t turn up. We still had an alright season as it turned out.
Could add the Adams play off Wembley let down as well. We did ok in most seasons mentioned above, there just seems to be some sort of barrier to winning crunch games-pressure? Expectations? Who knows really but Millwall is starting to look like another crunch game and Argyle have a shocking record at the Dens-think i was there for the last win in 1967! Very good time to change that mentality and get something next week.

Jul 6, 2005
We had a manager who changed us to a more "pragmatic team" that didnt end too well. A case of damned if you do, damned if you dont. Were simply league 1 and 1/2 standard, just hope we can limp over the line then a big rebuild in the summer
But Foster never changed the shape of the team, he just made us more negative because according to the players themselves, there was too much emphasis on our opponents and what they might do.

He stilled played with 2 wingers and 2 wing-backs that left only 2 in midfield, where we were/are often over-run purely because we are out-numbered.