Dewsnip = Win Nance = Lose | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Dewsnip = Win Nance = Lose

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
How many more times? You cannot play on the front foot and attack if you don’t have the players to do it!
But as I pointed out on another thread - we still have 10 of the starting 11 available for selection that played at home toNorwich earlier in the season ...... as I seem to recall that was pretty "front foot" wasn't it?

Mar 23, 2013
Dewsnip has been Director of Football with us from the off. From the depths of the bottom division to the highs of promotion to the Championship. He hasn't done a bad job, has he?

You are looking for a scapegoat to pin all our problems on. You are trying to find fault where there is no fault. Why does this society have to create a fault when there is none? Why does someone have to be at fault?

Circumstances have dictated that we are where we are.

We have the lowest of budgets in this league, we cannot spend as much as other clubs, we cannot get as good a player as other clubs. We need to spend what we have better then them. We need to outthink them.

Why do we need to have a scapegoat when we knew it was going to be a difficult season anyway? We knew that this might be the position we could find ourselves in. Stop trying to apportion blame.

Get off Dewsnip's back. He's done nothing wrong. He was asked, as was Nance, to put his head above the parapet and help out the club in its hour of need.

Call yourselves supporters??? Take a good look in the mirror if I was you.
This is exactly the sort of reply I expected ….. no one is trying to find a scapegoat….we have that and it’s him….. no one is saying he hasn’t been good for us but Christ alive this move that he probably suggested has literally sent us down as it stands… the managers job has been treated like a hobby within the club…. We all no it was to save money or buy us time… but if we go down …what a balls up…. Particularly financial…. Narrow minded…short sighted …amateur move…. There’s no friends in business and he’ll be the first to tell you that…… When it was announced that Dewsnip was taking over ….some reputable journo wrote ….” That won’t end well “ and Christ alive he’s almost right..

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
But as I pointed out on another thread - we still have 10 of the starting 11 available for selection that played at home toNorwich earlier in the season ...... as I seem to recall that was pretty "front foot" wasn't it?
Indeed your are right, but the straightforward and simple solution you offer requires some additional facts. You are indeed right , there is only one player not available for selection. Unfortunately, it is Finn Azaz, who was as front foot as anyone that day. And to complete the picture, the manager, his assistant, the first team coach and the fitness coach are also no longer here, leaving most of the other ten players who started that day completely bereft of confidence and rudderless. I do not think you are comparing like with like.

Jul 12, 2016
Remind me who played in midfield?

Reactions: jimsing
Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Remind me who played in midfield?
Houghton & Rands :) ......

Yes we also had a certain Mr Azaz too - but as much as I loved the guy (still do) does he really explain the difference between banging 6 past a team that will be in the play-offs and our recent powder-puff attack that hasn't mustered more than a single goal in a game (barely a single shot on target attempt) since the end of February against Coventry?

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Indeed your are right, but the straightforward and simple solution you offer requires some additional facts. You are indeed right , there is only one player not available for selection. Unfortunately, it is Finn Azaz, who was as front foot as anyone that day. And to complete the picture, the manager, his assistant, the first team coach and the fitness coach are also no longer here, leaving most of the other ten players who started that day completely bereft of confidence and rudderless. I do not think you are comparing like with like.
Well that's the whole point. It's not the players any different now than they were then bar Azaz. Yes, he was terrific but he alone can't account for the staggering change in the attacking threat posed then and now. It has to be down to a combination of tactics, instructions and as you mention confidence. I was challenging the assertion that Hull are such a better team than us we have no choice but to park the bus and hope for the best because our players are so poor.

We're playing Hull City not friggin' Manchester City.

Reactions: Belfast Green
Apr 2, 2024

Yes we also had a certain Mr Azaz too - but as much as I loved the guy (still do) does he really explain the difference between banging 6 past a team that will be in the play-offs and our recent powder-puff attack that hasn't mustered more than a single goal in a game (barely a single shot on target attempt) since the end of February against Coventry?
We’ve changed formation though.

4-3-3 leaves us open but means we attack more.

3-5-2 is the exact opposite.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Well that's the whole point. It's not the players any different now than they were then bar Azaz. Yes, he was terrific but he alone can't account for the staggering change in the attacking threat posed then and now. It has to be down to a combination of tactics, instructions and as you mention confidence. I was challenging the assertion that Hull are such a better team than us we have no choice but to park the bus and hope for the best because our players are so poor.

We're playing Hull City not friggin' Manchester City.
They had us on the ropes at times in the away game. Hazard kept us level when on another day we could have been battered. And Hull are better away from home than they are at home.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
I still don’t get how Dewsnip is employed at Argyle, he has only coached at England youth level prior to HP. He has no experience of managing/coaching in the senior game and yet we have placed trust in him to get us out of the mire twice. It strikes me he is the cheap option which is likely to cost us our stay at this level. If we do stay up or not then I’m not convinced he has a role to play going forward.
I think that scapegoating ND is unfair. His contribution to this club has been immense. We are in this position because we just don’t have the resources or players to be much higher. I believe that even if we do get relegated we are still on an upward trajectory.

Jul 12, 2016

Yes. Azaz was far superior to Houghton and Randell but more importantly he was on the same wavelength as Whittaker.

Mar 23, 2013
I think that scapegoating ND is unfair. His contribution to this club has been immense. We are in this position because we just don’t have the resources or players to be much higher. I believe that even if we do get relegated we are still on an upward trajectory.
Sorry he is 100% guilty…. Just because he’s done ok in the past does not excuse the position he has put everyone in…. He should have said no… we need someone with experience to get us out of this…. But no he to have a “ let’s give it go” attitude …. Absolute farce and it’s down to him .

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Sorry he is 100% guilty…. Just because he’s done ok in the past does not excuse the position he has put everyone in…. He should have said no… we need someone with experience to get us out of this…. But no he to have a “ let’s give it go” attitude …. Absolute farce and it’s down to him .
There wouldn't exactly have been a queue of people lining up to take the role. Most 'firefighting' managers come with really high wage demands, because they know what they can do and they know they can get it. We simply cannot afford what most of the managers who were available would have wanted. Dewsnip already knew the players, he'd already coached the players, and he has come in and got results until the last two games. Dewsnip being caretaker manager has not put us in this position. The decisions made in January did that.

Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
There wouldn't exactly have been a queue of people lining up to take the role. Most 'firefighting' managers come with really high wage demands, because they know what they can do and they know they can get it. We simply cannot afford what most of the managers who were available would have wanted. Dewsnip already knew the players, he'd already coached the players, and he has come in and got results until the last two games. Dewsnip being caretaker manager has not put us in this position. The decisions made in January did that.
That's more how I see it, but I would add that the quality of the opposition, apart from notable (and embarrassing) exceptions has been a big factor too.

Mar 23, 2013
This is a championship side looking at losing millions....not a sunday pub team.....its a balls up and it was his call....needs to go.