Derek Adams | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Derek Adams

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner ๐Ÿ‘จโ€โš–๏ธ
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
He struck me as being a solitary individual, who was strong on his principles. I always recall him one Sunday afternoon walking out of Rick Stein's wet fish shop on Padstow's quay, looking a tad lost. Perhaps he was?

On the occasions that I met him I just got the impression that football is his world, heโ€™s totally obsessed and has a crazy work ethic, which is brilliant, but perhaps a little unhealthy at the same time.

Jul 24, 2009
At Argyle he seemed to bite off more than he could chew in the last year. What was his title 'Head of Football' or something? It made sense from one angle but came at a time when the trend, which has only accelerated, was away from the manager having oversight of every last detail across the club and towards fully focussing on the first team. His recruitment the summer before our relegation season was also pretty awful especially in defence. He always seemed to very much have his way of operating which was fine when it was working but lacked something, either the variation or empathy to change things when they weren't working.

demportdave

๐ŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Yet he won us a promotion on a tiny budget.
... after blowing promotion the previous season when we were 10 points clear of 4th place in January.

Then after orchestrating a brilliant Semi-final win over Portsmouth, he presided over a team that only had one shot on goal in 90 minutes in the Final and that was a 30-yard free kick from Carey.

When he did eventually get us promoted, it was the least enjoyable promotion season ever. The final day at Grimsby with everything to play for was a "typical" Adams performance and symbolic of his tenure at Argyle; a lot of promise but ultimately, failure and bitter disappointment.

Adams has got a good work ethic and is very focused, but there's also something missing from his personality and man-management skills.

When he arrived in 2016 and we got off to a very good start, I started to think that Adams might be the man to lead us back to the Championship, but it was all to end in acrimony and tears.

I hope to see him parachuted in to Stoke City for the last month of this season to "do a Warnock" and keep them up, but then get them relegated in 2025.

memory man

โœ… Evergreen
๐ŸŽซ S.T. Donor ๐ŸŽซ
โœจPasoti Donorโœจ
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
"he presided over a team that only had one shot on goal in 90 minutes in the Final and that was a 30-yard free kick from Carey." Better than the Bolton game at Wembley then.๐Ÿ˜

Feb 2, 2005
Cornwall
Depends on the player. I don't think Graham Carey would have stayed at Argyle for 4 seasons if it wasn't for Derek who was able to get the best out of him.

I agree with DemportDave 100% - Adams tenure is very overrated in my eyes. But it is remarkable how many players have followed him around which makes me think maybe his man management wasn't as bad as it appeared.

Reactions: Mark Pedlar

cheshiregreen

โœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
What happened to the poster who claimed to be friendly with him? Suggested they used to meet for coffee/meals etc.

Quite often went to Morecambe games when DA was there and wanted him back at Argyle constantly.

Oct 10, 2012
I feel for him a bit, in the summer of 2018 after two promotions with Ross County, an automatic promotion with Argyle followed up by a seventh place finish in League One it looked like only a matter of time before he'd be bound for the Championship one way or another, but since then and Argyle's horror season it's not panned out that way.

Surely with two League Two promotions on his CV a League Two side will give him a job before too long.
This for me is why I donโ€™t blame managers for jumping ship whilst theyโ€™re performing well. After finishing 7th in league one heโ€™d have probably have been better trying to leave for a Championship club. He stayed, things went poorly, undid all of his hard work and his next job was Morecambe.

Overall I really enjoyed the period with him in charge.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
๐Ÿ† Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
โœ… Evergreen
โœจPasoti Donorโœจ
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Overall he did a good job coming in after Sheridan.

How we've moved on though!!

Reactions: greenpig27
Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
"he presided over a team that only had one shot on goal in 90 minutes in the Final and that was a 30-yard free kick from Carey." Better than the Bolton game at Wembley then.๐Ÿ˜
Can we claim the worst back-to-back Wembley displays in History? I find it hard to believe anyone could out-do us? .... and to cap it all we were actually clear favourites to win both - it wasn't like we'd fluked our way there and come up against clearly superior teams.

The game against Wimbledon was an abomination against football and should have been stopped by the ref after about an hour and both teams disqualified ... it was THAT bad. Then came the Bolton game :eek: .. F*** me!!

Nov 18, 2011
Can we claim the worst back-to-back Wembley displays in History? I find it hard to believe anyone could out-do us? .... and to cap it all we were actually clear favourites to win both - it wasn't like we'd fluked our way there and come up against clearly superior teams.

The game against Wimbledon was an abomination against football and should have been stopped by the ref after about an hour and both teams disqualified ... it was THAT bad. Then came the Bolton game :eek: .. F*** me!!
Our chums down the road may have something to say about that. 3 Play off final losses in 4 years including being tonked 4-0. ๐Ÿคญ

• Haha
Reactions: Ave IT
Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
Wembley....we didn't play well when we beat Darlington. That game was an affront. Wimbledon the same - The Bolton one looked like we'd got a supporters 11 from the car park. Gaps everywhere. Passes going into row Z, no sprints back, no nothing. Considering what we did last season it's a very odd performance. But we did it at Grimsby as well.

Reactions: Belfast Green

Belfast Green

๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช
๐Ÿ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jam First
โœ… Evergreen
๐ŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jun 23, 2017
Belfast
I had a chat with him outside York City, after a 1-0 win (I think).He was waiting for a lift, maybe heading home to Scotland for the weekend. He was very friendly, polite and very intense. I wish him well but there is more to life than football (sorry Mr Shankly) and health, family etc come first.