Defending set pieces | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Defending set pieces

Feb 21, 2011
jimsing":7y5h38iw said:
Strikers are also defenders in set piece situations. It was down to Madjo last week. He was supposed to be covering Adebayo, and he was all at sea when he scored with a free header. Got nowhere near him, I'm afraid. So don't go berating the defence. They were probably marking the big centre halves that also came up.

Madjo needs some tuition, me thinks.
Surely Purse should have been marking their best header of the ball

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Cole is a great shot stopper as proven again tonight but was at fault for the first goal. Surely a cross into the 6 yard box is something the keeper should deal with?
At the moment there is too much pressure on Purse and Blanchard to deal with crosses.

Although Cole does not deserve to be dropped

Apr 21, 2012
Malvern
I know it's old-fashioned, but having a player on the posts has been proven to help.

They probably didn't feel it was a good option for the first goal, as it was a free kick and there was potential - however small- to play them off-side.

I couldn't see their second so clearly, but it did appear to come from a free header.

In all, we were by far the better team, and I don't think we have anything to fear this season- particularly with our short-arsed midfielders running at agricultural looking defenders :D

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
PL2 3DQ":ww2p59vk said:
Cole is a great shot stopper as proven again tonight but was at fault for the first goal. Surely a cross into the 6 yard box is something the keeper should deal with?
At the moment there is too much pressure on Purse and Blanchard to deal with crosses.

Agreed. I think it all stems from the keeper not dominating that area.

However, if he could do it, I doubt very much he'd be playing for us ...

Oct 18, 2011
Yes Cole should be dealing with balls into his 6 yard box. But, the problem for me is more one of organisation. How many times did we allow a free header from a set piece tonight? It was more than just the two goals. To me we looked like we weren't sure who was picking up who. Someone should be taking control in there and I didn't see anyone do that tonight. For me it comes best from the keeper, but not all keepers do this, and if not Purse should be taking charge.

Oct 24, 2010
We paid the price tonight for very poor defending at set pieces the second was a lack of concentration by whoever and the first has to down to Jake Cole, Elliott was practically on the goal line when he scored.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
To be honest, we suffer from having too many short asses. Simple as that.

As stated elsewhere, we have Purse, Blanchard and Madjo of height whilst other teams seem to have at least 6 players over 6 foot. We will normally struggle until Lowry comes back, butt even then we will have a disadvantage.

Seems to me we need to change that to an advantage and be more clinical in possession.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Stopping giving away silly free-kicks and being less willing to punt the ball out for a corner would help the situation.

Regarding Cole leaving his line - he's hardly got the best example with his first team coach!!

Mar 23, 2008
Looked like Purse was supposedly marking Elliott but to little effect. Looks like he was out muscled. However as others have pointed out it should have been the keepers ball to deal with. Jake has been brilliant this year but an uncommanding goalie and a small team ain't a good mix.

PL2 3DQ":xs7x61vx said:

I think Jake has been taught by Romain! Romain was a phenomenal reactive keeper but not great a commanding the defence, exactly the same as jake. Gilmartin looks more commanding but came a little to quickly for a few bits that he should have let defence deal with. Jake has been great so far this year and a little cross training should give him more confidence.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Those calling for Cole to be replaced by Gilmartin presumably didn't see the latter's performance against Aldershot in the JPT... I completely agree with the comments here about Cole's command of his area (the first thing I noticed about him last season is that at corners he seems to 'hide' on his line behind an opposition forward) but I don't think there is yet convincing evidence that Gilmartin is a better 'keeper.

P

Paul_Roberts

PL2 3DQ":u3kbta36 said:

Absolutely. Cole gets a lot of plaudits for his shot-stopping, but he's a bloody goalkeeper - if he can't stop shots he should find a new job!
It was the only reason Jon Sheffield managed to forge out a career in League football too. He was very good at one-on-ones and reflex saves, but he was about as commanding as a bowl of jelly when a ball came into the area.

It's why both Sheffield and Cole were/are fourth division keepers I suppose.

Trev501

🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸🇪🇸
Jam First
Brickfields Donor
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 3, 2006
Dolores (Alicante) Spain
BadBoy":3jtaqo57 said:
Mark Pedlar":3jtaqo57 said:
It's not just the defenders though - set pieces is something everyone has to work on. It's one area where having MacDonald, Gurrieiri, Young and Lennox in your side doesn't help!!
Yeah that and a keeper that is a genius shot stopper but shocking at leaving his line, catching, punching and dominating his area.

Dominate his six yard box would be a start.
Cole made a fantastic reflex save last night along with a great clearance off the line with his right foot from what seemed a certain goal from a downward directed header. He may not have everything needed for a perfect keeper but he'll do for me!

Mar 7, 2009
Agreed Trev.

If he was as commanding as everyone wanted him to be, he wouldn't be playing for Plymouth Argyle in League 2.