Defending set pieces | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Defending set pieces

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mar 10, 2011
Plymouth
I think purse is finding it hard, has he recovered properly?, Let his rest and get richards in place.

Work needed on set pieces though

Aug 23, 2012
Blanchard is good however he isn't quite tall enough against these bigger players,maybe stick nelsen in? Just a thought

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Too small a side. Pains me to say it at 5ft 7 myself but we'll have games like this over and over again with the average height of our team. Haven't seen him in the flesh but Lowry's a 6 footer right?

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
It's not just the defenders though - set pieces is something everyone has to work on. It's one area where having MacDonald, Gurrieiri, Young and Lennox in your side doesn't help!!

Feb 21, 2011
Mark Pedlar":amtuuo7g said:
It's not just the defenders though - set pieces is something everyone has to work on. It's one area where having MacDonald, Gurrieiri, Young and Lennox in your side doesn't help!!
Yeah that and a keeper that is a genius shot stopper but shocking at leaving his line, catching, punching and dominating his area.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I always keep saying that there is no substitute for height at the back from all players, when it is all hands to the pump defending. Blanchard is good but he is no man mountain as a CB.

Mar 10, 2011
Plymouth
BadBoy":1ovdt9hc said:
Mark Pedlar":1ovdt9hc said:
Yeah that and a keeper that is a genius shot stopper but shocking at leaving his line, catching, punching and dominating his area.

why not use gilmartin, good at comming out off his line, commanding his area, and clearing, oh and massive

Jul 6, 2005
If there is one thing you have to be able to do in this League it's defend balls pumped into the box, but once again we have conceded goals to free headers.

Apart from it being so frustrating and annoying, it's just so unprofessional.

It's a basic discipline worked out on the training ground and people have to know who they are picking up at set pieces.

Cole is a good shot stopper but he does not command even the 6-yard box, never mind the Penalty Box.

Purse in particular and Blanchard have got to take charge of these situations but they fail all too often.

These three are not inexperienced kids, they are seasoned Pros who are not doing their job.

Oh for a Graham Coughlan.

Sort it out Fletcher!

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
oddball":1qgr97wx said:
Get Big Reg in for Saturday...

Why? Cole's not had a bad game this season from what I can remember. So what, because he doesn't like coming off his line and our other 'keeper does we should drop him? To be fair I haven't seen a lot of Gilmartin, there's not been much to see, but from I can tell if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Cole's doing a good job and you don't want to be chopping and changing your 'keeper every other game.

P.s. Not a go at you, oddball, or anyone for that matter, the latest relevant post just happened to be yours, keep the faith.

Feb 8, 2005
Strikers are also defenders in set piece situations. It was down to Madjo last week. He was supposed to be covering Adebayo, and he was all at sea when he scored with a free header. Got nowhere near him, I'm afraid. So don't go berating the defence. They were probably marking the big centre halves that also came up.

Madjo needs some tuition, me thinks.

Jul 6, 2011
jimsing":2gtdehjl said:
Strikers are also defenders in set piece situations. It was down to Madjo last week. He was supposed to be covering Adebayo, and he was all at sea when he scored with a free header. Got nowhere near him, I'm afraid. So don't go berating the defence. They were probably marking the big centre halves that also came up.

Madjo needs some tuition, me thinks.

Rhys Griffiths does this very well, when he retires we should sign him on as a coach for the strikers