Danny Mayor | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Danny Mayor

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
oldage":11jhttir said:
Born green":11jhttir said:
Can be great at times, but certainly no better the Carey or rubes.
I have a nagging feeling for some reason that he won't settle down here and will want a return back to the north west in the summer.
I was wondering if any of our ex Bury players are suffering with home sickness, Mayor in particular.

Pure speculation, but I do wonder if this factors into our away form. Not homesickness as such, but a lot of these Bury lads won’t be used to long journeys, travelling the day before etc. We talk about transition periods and the team settling down, but I think this is something that can be added to that.

As for Mayor, it’ll take a lot to convince me he’s better than GC. But he’s clearly an excellent player and as far as dribbling with the ball goes, I’d say he’s the most comfortable ball carrier I’ve seen since I started supporting Argyle in the early noughties.

Sep 19, 2015
Easily our stand out performer so far this season, nearly everything positive in an attacking sense has gone through Danny Mayor. A real joy to watch.

Jul 6, 2011
monkeywrench":gg0qi29y said:
He's on a different level than any other player I've seen this season.

Maybe he tries too hard sometimes but what a player.

GC10 has the edge re hard he worked back and delivery from free kicks. But DM's incisive passing and dribbling is slightly ahead of GC10 IMHO. There's not much in it but its early days for DM. GC10 produced the goods over a number of seasons. DM is only just getting started and has huge expectations to deal with (thanks to the gaffer)

'GC10 produced the goods over a number of seasons.'
Think you might be forgetting his down times. He was definitely good, talented but, inconsistent as hell. He can go whole seasons playing awful football and yet change a game in a moment of brilliance.

Apr 9, 2011
oldage":1bzday8q said:
Born green":1bzday8q said:
I have a nagging feeling for some reason that he won't settle down here and will want a return back to the north west in the summer.
I was wondering if any of our ex Bury players are suffering with home sickness, Mayor in particular.
That is an interesting point!

Oct 31, 2015
I have to say early days for me. When he has the ball and runs at players he is simply superb and he scares the bejesus out of defenders but he does not have GC10s work rate.

Assist v Assists and goal scored will be an interesting stat some time in the future.

GC10 for me I'm afraid but Mayor can prove me wrong and I won't mind :thumbs:

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
I think he’s excellent. He’s quick, brilliant on the ball and when we score he usually has played a part in the goal. I would’ve loved to of seen him and Carey in midfield together, they’d of bossed this division with Joe Edwards behind them.

Mar 23, 2008
rsp4":gg6t5muu said:
I have to say early days for me. When he has the ball and runs at players he is simply superb and he scares the bejesus out of defenders but he does not have GC10s work rate.

Assist v Assists and goal scored will be an interesting stat some time in the future.

GC10 for me I'm afraid but Mayor can prove me wrong and I won't mind :thumbs:
I'm confused about the work rate comments, Mayor tracks back and has a decent work rate so don't see much difference there.

Sep 6, 2006
phil-thefluter24":9rbeubl1 said:
oldage":9rbeubl1 said:
Born green":9rbeubl1 said:

Apart from the fact that it is nonsense our best players this season have been thecex Bury lads anyway so nonsense on 2 counts. They are not school boys.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Very bored of the comparisons to Carey & Lameiras now.

Mayor is very clearly an excellent player, he’s here now, and deserves all of our support.

Jul 12, 2016
Balham_Green":1k2yyg52 said:
phil-thefluter24":1k2yyg52 said:
oldage":1k2yyg52 said:
Born green":1k2yyg52 said:

Apart from the fact that it is nonsense our best players this season have been thecex Bury lads anyway so nonsense on 2 counts. They are not school boys.
How is it nonsense ? Edwards and Palmer are not ex Bury. Agreed they are not school boys but I assume the ex Bury players are away from their families so are still setting into the south west.

Jan 27, 2012
In my opinion, Lowe made a mistake by claiming that Mayor is better than Carey.

It only puts pressure on Mayor and was a bit disrespectful to Carey, who was excellent for Argyle.

They are both talented players, but based on what I have seen so far, Carey is the better all round footballer. He also has the likes of Celtic and CSKA Sofia on his CV.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
As much as we all thought the world of Carey, the last two seasons he didn’t hit his stride until December, just before the January window opened. DM has almost three months to get a jump on Carey to show his worth.

This is after a change in the close season and his regular partners no longer there as back up and he needs to get that level of understanding in a new team.

Mar 29, 2011
Ade the green":11npfapl said:
As much as we all thought the world of Carey, the last two seasons he didn’t hit his stride until December, just before the January window opened. DM has almost three months to get a jump on Carey to show his worth.

This is after a change in the close season and his regular partners no longer there as back up and he needs to get that level of understanding in a new team.

Carey's first League 2 season at the club, he'd scored 5 before August was out. That's the best comparison to make regarding outputs.

They're also different players. Mayor is a superb dribbler of the ball. Carey only needed half a yard of space and could put a ball anywhere. They don't play the same style or role, so any comparison isn't fair on either.

May 8, 2011
The one major difference is the Carey came with no reputation or expectation as just another journeyman footballer. So after his first appearance in a pre season friendly we went ‘wow’ what a player and then he scored at Wimbledon in the first match of the season which just built on that.