Danny Mayor to Tranmere? | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Danny Mayor to Tranmere?

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Pottypilgrim":2n1173qm said:
Knibbsworth":2n1173qm said:
Devongreenowl":2n1173qm said:
freddie2greens":2n1173qm said:
ive been thinking he's homesick for a while now but when I said it on the other DM thread a couple of weeks ago I was hammered for it by 2 or 3 posters. As I said he's a really good player but if he aint happy then we should cash in and spend the money elsewhere. I hope im proved wrong and he goes on to achieve great things with us as he definitely has the ability, however the amount of excuses that have been made for him so far can only last so long until we have to move on.

Why have you been thinking that Freddie? Do you know him personally? Has he told you? The reason I ask, is that he told the Plymouth public at large quite recently in the local newspaper, how much he was loving it down here. It was definitely him being quoted there, not some random Tranmere fan. This is a non story.

What footballer when asked by the local media if they like the local area responds with anything other than yes?

'No, I don't like the city, I am nowhere near my family and friends, I miss my girlfriend, I don't understand the local accent, the live music scene is non-existent and I haven't had a good night out in the last 6 months' probably wouldn't do a footballer's image many favours.

Michael Owen released a book recently which was scathing regarding Newcastle, the locals and the club's supporters. He didn't breathe a word of that at the time.

Exactly. Some people are far too trusting, believing and/or naive. Displaying and promoting a positive image is absolutely paramount for businesses where large amounts of money are important to an organisations survival and existence. Thats why money is so ugly really, it makes people say and do things that they are not really comfortable with. Not many people have the moral courage to actually say what they really feel or believe.

It’s not about being naive and you’ve no grounds to be patronising. It’s about being positive rather than negative which is what this thread has been in general. Danny Mayor did not have to say how much he loved it here at all. He could have said he was settling in well and left it at that. We have ended up with a thread of however many pages based on some anonymous Tranmere fan mentioning an unfounded rumour, which then has some Argyle fans writing Mayor off. If he were to leave, either now or in the summer, I would be very disappointed. Until there is any evidence at all, I would rather focus on the fact that he apparently played well today, along with the rest of the team. He is our most skilful player and I certainly hope and expect he will still be here after the window has well and truly closed. It’s about time the home support made him feel loved and gave him some encouragement, particularly when there are some clowns actually giving him a hard time. Let’s hope they can do a bit better than the 'used to be sh1te song'!

Sep 2, 2008
Devongreenowl":25sc7qv1 said:
Pottypilgrim":25sc7qv1 said:
Knibbsworth":25sc7qv1 said:
Devongreenowl":25sc7qv1 said:
freddie2greens":25sc7qv1 said:
ive been thinking he's homesick for a while now but when I said it on the other DM thread a couple of weeks ago I was hammered for it by 2 or 3 posters. As I said he's a really good player but if he aint happy then we should cash in and spend the money elsewhere. I hope im proved wrong and he goes on to achieve great things with us as he definitely has the ability, however the amount of excuses that have been made for him so far can only last so long until we have to move on.

Why have you been thinking that Freddie? Do you know him personally? Has he told you? The reason I ask, is that he told the Plymouth public at large quite recently in the local newspaper, how much he was loving it down here. It was definitely him being quoted there, not some random Tranmere fan. This is a non story.

What footballer when asked by the local media if they like the local area responds with anything other than yes?

'No, I don't like the city, I am nowhere near my family and friends, I miss my girlfriend, I don't understand the local accent, the live music scene is non-existent and I haven't had a good night out in the last 6 months' probably wouldn't do a footballer's image many favours.

Michael Owen released a book recently which was scathing regarding Newcastle, the locals and the club's supporters. He didn't breathe a word of that at the time.

Exactly. Some people are far too trusting, believing and/or naive. Displaying and promoting a positive image is absolutely paramount for businesses where large amounts of money are important to an organisations survival and existence. Thats why money is so ugly really, it makes people say and do things that they are not really comfortable with. Not many people have the moral courage to actually say what they really feel or believe.

It’s not about being naive and you’ve no grounds to be patronising. It’s about being positive rather than negative which is what this thread has been in general. Danny Mayor did not have to say how much he loved it here at all. He could have said he was settling in well and left it at that. We have ended up with a thread of however many pages based on some anonymous Tranmere fan mentioning an unfounded rumour, which then has some Argyle fans writing Mayor off. If he were to leave, either now or in the summer, I would be very disappointed. Until there is any evidence at all, I would rather focus on the fact that he apparently played well today, along with the rest of the team. He is our most skilful player and I certainly hope and expect he will still be here after the window has well and truly closed. It’s about time the home support made him feel loved and gave him some encouragement, particularly when there are some clowns actually giving him a hard time. Let’s hope they can do a bit better than the 'used to be sh1te song'!

I wasn't being patronising, just making a general statement. Don't see anywhere in my message where I referred to you either. If you chose to assume I directed my statement at you then there's nothing I can do about that. Seeing as you think I am talking about you; interesting that you focussed on naive and not trusting :think: Think its fair to say that you are quite sensitive and certainly very defensive ;)

Aug 5, 2016
Devongreenowl":4tf860u1 said:

If you are referring to me, i wasn't "writing Mayor off". I said depending on how much money Mayor is on, it is conceivable Lowe could make hay out of the rumoured homesickness to move Mayor on and get a proven goalscorer in like Brett Pitman. Purely dealing in hypotheticals. A few weeks ago I put forward a case for Mayor as our player of the half season, so there is no danger of me under appreciating him. But in the same breath one goal from 25 league games is not a good return for our top earners. A 19 year old who has just drivrn back from Truro is currently saving this team's blushes. Think back to Bristol Rovers in the cup when we made 10 clear goalscoring chances and converted none and we were looking forward to the window for Lowe to rectify things. Good goalscorers aren't cheap.

The chances are Mayor is happy to be in this team, Lowe wouldn't let him leave and Tranmere couldn't even afford his wages but it is hardly the strangest potential sequence of events I've ever heard. Given that Mayor spoke candidly in the past at feeling homesick whilst out on loan, his form suffering as a result, and Lowe saying recently he'd love to have Brett Pitman but can't afford him.

May 27, 2019
EXETER/OWLERTON
Yeah, but he’s a grown man now!
I’ve felt and said all season, that Mayor has not been able to shine because of poor movement ahead of him. Taylor when he was playing, Grant unfortunately always looks like he can’t change up a gear. Telford has been the only one who looks like he can upset opposition defences, but has been injury prone. So Jephcott comes in and starts to look the business and surprise surprise, people are saying Mayor plays well.

I just find it bizarre how a Tranmere fan starts a rumour on our forum and loads of people start buying into it without any evidence whatsoever. It would make him look a complete lightweight and I don’t think he’s that at all.

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":1glafsep said:
Devongreenowl":1glafsep said:

If you are referring to me, i wasn't "writing Mayor off". I said depending on how much money Mayor is on, it is conceivable Lowe could make hay out of the rumoured homesickness to move Mayor on and get a proven goalscorer in like Brett Pitman. Purely dealing in hypotheticals. A few weeks ago I put forward a case for Mayor as our player of the half season, so there is no danger of me under appreciating him. But in the same breath one goal from 25 league games is not a good return for our top earners. A 19 year old who has just drivrn back from Truro is currently saving this team's blushes. Think back to Bristol Rovers in the cup when we made 10 clear goalscoring chances and converted none and we were looking forward to the window for Lowe to rectify things. Good goalscorers aren't cheap.

The chances are Mayor is happy to be in this team, Lowe wouldn't let him leave and Tranmere couldn't even afford his wages but it is hardly the strangest potential sequence of events I've ever heard. Given that Mayor spoke candidly in the past at feeling homesick whilst out on loan, his form suffering as a result, and Lowe saying recently he'd love to have Brett Pitman but can't afford him.

So according to your logic it was Mayor's fault that the strikers were missing chances although he was creating them. :crazy:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I have it somewhere in my memory bank that he has longer than a 1 year contract.

I may be wrong as I can’t find it referred to anywhere.

Has he definitely only got a 1 year contract?

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
davie nine":29w19uaz said:
I have it somewhere in my memory bank that he has longer than a 1 year contract.

I may be wrong as I can’t find it referred to anywhere.

Has he definitely only got a 1 year contract?
I had a search last night but couldn't find a mention of his contract length anywhere, not even when he signed.

Aug 5, 2016
Balham_Green":1d0b9fet said:
Knibbsworth":1d0b9fet said:
Devongreenowl":1d0b9fet said:

So according to your logic it was Mayor's fault that the strikers were missing chances although he was creating them. :crazy:

I think your memory is betraying you. Mayor put one on a plate for Joel Grant against Rovers but it is hardly a weekly occurence, a glorious sitter created by Danny Mayor missed again. He is also free to score goals himself. He has currently scored as many as Joe Riley and Jose Baxter, neither of whom play any further up the pitch than him, and one was a sub who hasn't been here for 3 months.

Mayor is our Cantona, our Le Tissier, our Carey - but those players didn't need a goalscorer to make them look effective. They could beat players, make their own chances and score their own goals if their teammates weren't up to it. We all know Mayor has it all in his locker but this team needs him to deliver the goals more often.

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":1kfz3yvq said:
Balham_Green":1kfz3yvq said:
Knibbsworth":1kfz3yvq said:
Devongreenowl":1kfz3yvq said:

I think your memory is betraying you. Mayor put one on a plate for Joel Grant against Rovers but it is hardly a weekly occurence, a glorious sitter created by Danny Mayor missed again. He is also free to score goals himself. He has currently scored as many as Joe Riley and Jose Baxter, neither of whom play any further up the pitch than him, and one was a sub who hasn't been here for 3 months.

Mayor is our Cantona, our Le Tissier, our Carey - but those players didn't need a goalscorer to make them look effective. They could beat players, make their own chances and score their own goals if their teammates weren't up to it. We all know Mayor has it all in his locker but this team needs him to deliver the goals more often.

I dont think you understand his role very well. He actually plays quite deep and brings the ball up the pitch. Admittedly he is not doing a Maradona and beating the whole team. Perhaps thats what fans expect. So who creates the chances for Mayor?

Apr 4, 2004
Balham_Green":14bxrac6 said:
Knibbsworth":14bxrac6 said:
Balham_Green":14bxrac6 said:
Knibbsworth":14bxrac6 said:
Devongreenowl":14bxrac6 said:

:eh: I dont think you understand his role very well. He actually plays quite deep and brings the ball up the pitch. Admittedly he is not doing a Maradona and beating the whole team. Perhaps thats what fans expect. So who creates the chances for Mayor?

Exactly. Im relieved there are other folks on here that can see what's in front of them. Mayor drops very deep and brings the ball out. Maybe it's disappointing to some that he can't do a Maradona and run from back to front then score :shifty: He gets us moving forward. He's very hard to knock off the ball and he just has to beat the player that's pressing him and run with it or lend it to someone and we're out. He and the rest of the team are going up the pitch. He does this countless times every match. I would add that the introduction of Bakinson is going to be massive for us and for Mayor. He can do that too. I reckon him and Mayor will be devastating.

Sep 6, 2006
Knibbsworth":38dzmozf said:
The same ones who create for Sarcevic?

Er Mayor perhaps....?
I see he was strongly involved in 2 of our goals yesterday. Am sure he would get even better if fans got behind him.Always a tough gig to replace Ruben and Carey.

Ray Stidwell

Jam First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
ming the merciless":2547xavs said:
I would add that the introduction of Bakinson is going to be massive for us and for Mayor. He can do that too. I reckon him and Mayor will be devastating.

Very much so! As evidenced beautifully, & excitingly, yesterday! Looking forward to more of the same, with optimism!