Crackdown on pitch invasions and flares | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Crackdown on pitch invasions and flares

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
People do.
Should it make them criminals?
Some people will say yes, some people will say no.
It spoils the enjoyment of the vast majority who don’t feel the need to break the law - regardless of how you want to word it.

It also prevents, or delays the team from doing a lap of honour and returning to the pitch.

May 8, 2011
It spoils the enjoyment of the vast majority who don’t feel the need to break the law - regardless of how you want to word it.

It also prevents, or delays the team from doing a lap of honour and returning to the pitch.
The last match I was at where there was a pitch invasion was the Everton v Crystal Palace match.
Did the pitch invasion spoil the enjoyment of those of us in the upper tiers who weren’t able to join in, from the reaction of those around me, I don’t think so. But that is only a small sample so I can’t assume what the majority felt.

Aug 5, 2015
I think it’s one of those occasions where you’re damned if you do and damned if you don’t. But they had to do something given the increasing violence shown towards players otherwise someone would end up getting seriously hurt. Again it’s a question of the majority paying for the actions of a small minority. It’ll be interesting to see how Argyle react to this given they have previous in the eyes of the EFL

FourMarkGreen

Jam First
May 25, 2016
Last time we clinched promotion to the Championship (and as Champions, too) was that wonderful day when we beat Holloway's QPR 2-0. Trigger & Friio... fantastic! One of the all-time great Argyle days - with a party atmosphere to match.

I could be wrong, but i believe not a single supporter came onto the pitch, during the game or afterwards.

Barrie Davis

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Oct 26, 2005
Torbay
I'd be astonished if 5000/10000+ fans celebrating promotion on the pitch would all be marched through the courts. And what's more it would be absolutely ridiculous if they are. Talk about a victimless crime/gigantic waste of time. Of course it should only be in joyous celebration and not spill over into anything else. That idiot Forest fan is a prime (and exaggerated) example of when the book should be thrown at anyone who does anything other than celebrate.
The only reason people have not generally been through the court process is that invasions have not really affected anyone. The herd mentality has taken over and assault or harrassing of players and officials in a case last season led to it happening every week. Club managers were accosted. The Football Authorities are now interested for that reason and are having to take more stringent steps otherwise an incident by which a player is injured can be expensive if they know of a risk and take no action. Expect court action and, if that does not work, physical barriers and membership schemes. In the aftermath of the Taylor Report (1990ish), a provision was included in the Football Supporters Act for matches to be attended only by those registered under a membership scheme. It was shelved as Thatcher could not get it through but all seater stadia was done instead. Taking a membership card away from a miscreant is far cheaper and easier than going through courts. Don't believe it won't happen.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Regarding flares... apart from anything else I think they look a bit naff and unnecessarily trying to imitate European 'ultras'. Not sure what passion it requires to chuck one on a pitch either.

The best atmospheres in this country are always when thousands of people are singing and shouting bleddy loud, simple as that.

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
Regarding flares... apart from anything else I think they look a bit naff and unnecessarily trying to imitate European 'ultras'. Not sure what passion it requires to chuck one on a pitch either.

The best atmospheres in this country are always when thousands of people are singing and shouting bleddy loud, simple as that.
Although, there were masses of smoke flares (remember, these are not distress flares) set off at the recent F1 in Austria. So many that the stands were covered. No-one complained and no one made a fuss. Sometimes I think all this moaning about smoke flares is caused by middle-aged fuddy duddies who have a loud voice but forgotten what its like to have any enjoyment in their lives. Rules are rules and anyone who breaks the rules should be sent to the colonies ... for ever. That will sort things out. Standing will be next ... perhaps the state of the pasties too ...

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Although, there were masses of smoke flares (remember, these are not distress flares) set off at the recent F1 in Austria. So many that the stands were covered. No-one complained and no one made a fuss. Sometimes I think all this moaning about smoke flares is caused by middle-aged fuddy duddies who have a loud voice but forgotten what its like to have any enjoyment in their lives. Rules are rules and anyone who breaks the rules should be sent to the colonies ... for ever. That will sort things out. Standing will be next ... perhaps the state of the pasties too ...

Just very confused by why loads of smoke brings enjoyment to people's lives, as you describe it. It's certainly harming my enjoyment if the smoke means I can't get see the game and is getting in my throat.

Standing has clearly been tolerated and is coming back officially.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
You a mate of nikkkk by any chance?
That's the kind of nonsense attitude we had last season from them.

Reactions: bigalf

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
♣️ SWAG Member
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 1, 2006
Hamilton: “I can’t believe they are any good environmentally either.”

Says the F1 driver. You couldn't make it up.

Back on topic I don't have a problem with flares myself but at the MK Dons game last season some sort of rocket/firework was set off from behind me at HP, just missed me and hit a lady just in front of me, luckily on her back/on her coat, so she wasn't injured. However she was very visibly shaken understandably and left soon after. That really was moronic and very dangerous. So if flares encourage that sort of idiotic behaviour then that's a major negative.

Reactions: Argyle Since'68

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Perhaps you should read the article before condemning the actions ...

What was I missing? Verstappen and Leclerc said the flares 'weren't too bad' but the article, comments and linked Twitter feed show that clearly some people have complained and made a fuss. Which you said hadn't happened.

They're rubbish. You can't see, you get smoke in your throat and eyes, and all to look like you're at an American MLS game trying to look like European ultras.