Could this be the best time to get out of league one? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Could this be the best time to get out of league one?

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
dunlop":2w2olft3 said:
GreenThing":2w2olft3 said:
How much did we pay for Carey, Taylor, Fox and Lameiras?

Learn to read what is written instead of what you think was written.

Take some of your own advice. It makes no sense whatsoever to spend money on transfer fees, when that money could be spent on increased wages to free players who’s contracts have run out.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
OK I have just been told , they have let you out for the weekend.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Is there any need for that?

Mar 8, 2016
I think derek Adams has earned the right for a bigger budget now. We will be up poo creek without a paddle or a boat when Adams goes.

Mar 14, 2009
We have to be pragmatic.

Yet at the same time people talk about bringing in players like a Lyle Taylor who I think will be looking for more money than we can afford.

I think what happens is people see the signings from released players from Scotland or league one & two and think are they the marquee signings we need to progress?

Unfortunately, this is the way it is and we have to hope we might find some wee nuggets from where we are able to buy from.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Mark Pedlar":ld2jvltu said:
samjones":ld2jvltu said:
We missed a great opportunity thish season. Poor start and finish cost us.

Yes it is definitely a weak league but our problem is we will be starting pretty much from scratch next season having lost most of our best players ( Matthews, Vyner, Fox, Oscar, ... )

Everything will depend on this summers recruitment which will need to be a damn site better than last year

So Carey, Lameiras, Taylor, Ness and Sarcevic aren't our best players?

I wouldn't list Matthews or Threlkeld in that list either.

Carey is our best player, Taylor was our most important player in the team system last year. Lameiras, Ness and sarcevic are decent on their day or when not injured but they are not consistent enough.
The fact that loanees come into the team,excel and cement a constant start tell you the squad is not good enough.
We have cleared out some of the dead wood in January but we need a major summer recruitment to be competitive again next season. Easier said than done and DA's signing history isn't exactly convincing.
At this stage I could not tell you whether we will be PROMOTED or RELEGATED.
Teams that are retaining the majority of their squad from last year, have youngsters developing and strengthening with buying better players are likely to get off to a better start than those starting from scratch who could be hit or miss from the off.
We seem to have a very short term outlook with our recruiting and contract policy which is a sign of the lack of ambition, investment and commitment IMHO. Not having a go at JB but merely stating the facts

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
samjones":ia6tcbra said:
Teams that are retaining the majority of their squad from last year, have youngsters developing and strengthening with buying better players are likely to get off to a better start than those starting from scratch who could be hit or miss from the off.
We seem to have a very short term outlook with our recruiting and contract policy which is a sign of the lack of ambition, investment and commitment IMHO. Not having a go at JB but merely stating the facts

You're not Sam, you are stating your opinion.

It's my opinion that we are one of the teams that will are a team that will be retaining the majority of the squad from last year, have youngsters developing and strengthening with buying better players

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
The only players gone who I think we may struggle to replace are Foxy and Vyner. Oscar, Bradley and Matthews will be relatively easy to replace with like for like.

Feb 8, 2005
samjones":1xkrto7l said:
Mark Pedlar":1xkrto7l said:
samjones":1xkrto7l said:
We missed a great opportunity thish season. Poor start and finish cost us.

Yes it is definitely a weak league but our problem is we will be starting pretty much from scratch next season having lost most of our best players ( Matthews, Vyner, Fox, Oscar, ... )

Everything will depend on this summers recruitment which will need to be a damn site better than last year

So Carey, Lameiras, Taylor, Ness and Sarcevic aren't our best players?

I wouldn't list Matthews or Threlkeld in that list either.

Carey is our best player, Taylor was our most important player in the team system last year. Lameiras, Ness and sarcevic are decent on their day or when not injured but they are not consistent enough.
The fact that loanees come into the team,excel and cement a constant start tell you the squad is not good enough.
We have cleared out some of the dead wood in January but we need a major summer recruitment to be competitive again next season. Easier said than done and DA's signing history isn't exactly convincing.
At this stage I could not tell you whether we will be PROMOTED or RELEGATED.

Your "FACTS" are incorrect, Sam. Adams has a recruiting and contract policy that he has put into operation ever since he has been here.

Our "lack of ambition" has seen us grow from having his first season play-off final at Wembley, to promotion (after just missing out on the last match of the season on being champions), to just missing out on the play-offs this season just gone.

I don't know what YOU were expecting, but I have been some pleased with the way the Club have performed on the pitch, and I am more than happy with the way that the Club has performed off the pitch as well, with improvements being made to our training ground, our grandstand is finally getting refurbished with the extra facilities that will improve not only our match experience but will provide the extra income that will be needed when we finally get promoted back to the Championship, and even our Ladies team will soon become Champions in their league and get promoted (nothing to do with Adams, I know, but becomes part of the feel good factor at Home Park for us supporters).

What did you have in mind when you mentioned "lack of ambition", "investment" and "commitment" from the Club? Are you sure that you are not putting the cart before the horse and expecting more than is reasonably expected from the Club after our recent history?

Rome wasn't built in a day, you know.

C

chrisrobin

I've lost the point of this thread somewhat........

The league must be weak to a row about transfer fees?

I would now add to my list of reasons in the OP the fact that DA has just agreed a 5 year contract. The confidence that must give potential new signings in particular, must give a boost to the quality of our signings, and the whole squad’s ability to think longer term. I just cannot see other other clubs around us matching this progress.

D

Dano

This coming season will be an importsnt one.

The momentum has started and the wheels are in motion. Now is the time to break the chains that shackled us, and it mentality to think we can’t acheive because of location and financies.

This season needs to bring not only more consistency but progression on seventh place finish ?!!!..derek won’t expect anything less !!!