Could this be the best time to get out of league one? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Could this be the best time to get out of league one?

Sep 6, 2006
Emeraldinho":f7y25leu said:
I must admit, the Championship looks formidably strong and full of teams awash with parachute payment money. It certainly seems like an almost insurmountable gap is beginning to form between the haves and have-nots ie Prem/Championship (or EPL 1 & 2 if you like) and L1 & 2 clubs. JB has already admitted he couldn't take Argyle any further than the next division up - if we don't do it next season I just wonder if he'll even be able to afford that particular target. :think:

Burton survived for a while and what was Millwalls budget?

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Our location is the problem to bring quality players you have got to pay a decent salary, players further up north don't have the expense of moving when the move from club to club what we have to do is pay a bit more and that is not the Brents way, we have got to rely on Adams having a below average budget for this league picking bargains from Poundland.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Emeraldinho":12tr5thn said:
I must admit, the Championship looks formidably strong and full of teams awash with parachute payment money. It certainly seems like an almost insurmountable gap is beginning to form between the haves and have-nots ie Prem/Championship (or EPL 1 & 2 if you like) and L1 & 2 clubs. JB has already admitted he couldn't take Argyle any further than the next division up - if we don't do it next season I just wonder if he'll even be able to afford that particular target. :think:

Parachute payments are now only paid for three seasons.

That means that not many clubs in the Championship will be getting parachute payments next season. Obviously the relegated sides of Stoke, Swansea and West Brom will be due their payments but other than those three only Aston Villa and Hull City will still qualify for parachute money next season....... and Villa could yet be back in the Premier League anyway.

Clubs that are relegated from the Premier League after just one season following promotion now only receive parachute payments for two years. This means that both Norwich City and Middlesbrough's payments have ended already.

Even with parachute payments only one championship club failed to make a substantial loss last season, with the average loss being £11 million per club. Silly money, but explainable if it comes out of a corporate tax saving loss. We’ll never be in that position I guess.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
IJN":18jpe5x1 said:

Just pointing out that Adams has one hand tied behind his back when trying to bring players to the club, and we rely on him to get the freebies in and hopefully turn them into better players.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Mike, the days of us paying fees for players is long gone. The budget has been improved, year on year and so has what has unfolded on the pitch.

I think the infrastructure of the club, the ground and the Academy is far, far more important than chucking all monies earned at players and their wages.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
The step up from League 2 to League 1 was bigger than expected in terms of quality but perhaps not wages and fees, the step up to the championship is huge in terms of both. If there's a man to do it though its Derek Adams.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I'm bunging a few quid on it next season.

The last time I did that, Luggy duly obliged.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
IJN":236veu2o said:
Mike, the days of us paying fees for players is long gone. The budget has been improved, year on year and so has what has unfolded on the pitch.

I think the infrastructure of the club, the ground and the Academy is far, far more important than chucking all monies earned at players and their wages.

Ian if not paying fees for players is a fact I regret renewing my ST it just shows Brent's ambition for the football club, I'm not saying we chuck money at recruitment but Adams should be able to compete with the top 6 in league 1 with our home attendance and it looks like this year there is a good ST take up.

As for the budget being improved year on year when you start from zero that is not much of an endorsement and we are still in the bottom rungs of the football league the longest period in our football league history.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Yep I get that bit, but you were with us when we looked into the abyss of Bostick League 4 or whatever it was.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey for me and I suspect quite a few others. Plus I would add that you shouldn't believe everything that Danis Salman says.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
dunlop":b1r5l692 said:
IJN":b1r5l692 said:

Ian if not paying fees for players is a fact I regret renewing my ST it just shows Brent's ambition for the football club, I'm not saying we chuck money at recruitment but Adams should be able to compete with the top 6 in league 1 with our home attendance and it looks like this year there is a good ST take up.

As for the budget being improved year on year when you start from zero that is not much of an endorsement and we are still in the bottom rungs of the football league the longest period in our football league history.

Ok, we pay £100k for a player allowing a budget of £3k a week wages for him OR we get him in for free at the end of his contract and can offer him £4K a week. Which option would be better for the player? Gone are the days of any lower league club paying a fee for contracted players.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
IJN":m29wdqxe said:
Yep I get that bit, but you were with us when we looked into the abyss of Bostick League 4 or whatever it was.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey for me and I suspect quite a few others. Plus I would add that you shouldn't believe everything that Danis Salman says.

Ian I have got my own mind not swayed by anybody when it comes to Argyle particularly what is written in the press , we are a team struggling to get promotion because the lack of ambition by JB if it is true he will not spend out on tranfer fees and the only option for Adams is to try again and pick up some bargains in Poundland there can't be that many bargains.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
How much did we pay for Carey, Taylor, Fox and Lameiras?

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
GreenThing":34bhjmzm said:
How much did we pay for Carey, Taylor, Fox and Lameiras?

Learn to read what is written instead of what you think was written.