Concerts - First, Worst, Best, Last | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Concerts - First, Worst, Best, Last

Good thread!

First: The Cure at Cornwall Colleseum in the early 90s (92?).
Worst: Pearl Jam / Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at Milton Keynes Bowl in 2015 ish. The person I went with 'over indulged' so we spent the whole gig in the medical tent - missed it all apart from one BMRC song and PJ's encore (which was brilliant). Or, Soundgarden at Brixton Academy - one of my favourite bands, but something wasn't right with the sound - couldn't hear Cornell's vocals or Kim Thayil's guitar - it was just noise. Fortunately I've seen PJ and Soundgarden since, and they were both much better gigs.
Best: Audioslave at Brixton Academy in 2013 ish.
Last: Pearl Jam and Pixies in Hyde Park last year. Pretty good, but don't like Hyde Park as a venue. Not great sound, and too far away unless you buy the VIP tickets (which I didn't).

First: REM gig at Cardiff Arms Park with support from Cranberries (excellent) and Del Amitri (terrible). Belly were on first but our coach driver got lost and we missed them

Worst: Either the V Festival in 2003 (headlined by Coldplay and Red Hot Chilli Peppers, two of the worst bands ever) as went with my ex or Bob Dylan at Hyde Park in 2019 (again picked by someone else) as he was so disappointing. Didn't seem interested and far too many songs were played in a completely different style. Thank goodness for some great support from Neil Young

Best: Two completely contrasting shows. David Bowie headlined at Glastonbury in 2000 and was amazing. Or a show by folk singer Chris Wood at Reeth village hall (near North Yorkshire's Richmond). He played for about 3 hours and I also won a case of Guinness in the raffle. He was on that long, there was a drinks interval. I got roped in in the kitchn and made him a cup of Earl Grey as the bergamot's good for the voice

Last: Saw a folk show at the Centre for Early Music in York a couple of weeks ago. Didn't really know any of the performers before but was blown away by the singer from a band called The Howl and The Hum who was doing a solo set. Off next week to watch Karine Polwart in Saltaire. She always puts on a good show.

M

Best. Charley Watts and his big band in the room below pizza Express in Dean Street. Tiny room, sat alongside Mick Hucknell who sang a few jazz standards and entertained my wife.
Worst. Took my daughter to a Cure concert at the 02. Generally l like them, but that night they were dire.
First. Stones at Windsor RickyTick early 60s. In a photo from that year they look like school kids!
Last Gorecki symphony at the Festival Hall. Heart rending stuff.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
First:- Black Sabbath supported by Van Halen (in Dog Pooh city)
Worst:- Paul Weller, recently at Pavilions. Walked out less than halfway through
Best:- Anyone of UFO gigs in Anaheim, Vegas or New York
Last:- Muse
Next:- Coldplay, Cardiff.

I seen him Paul Weller down here, the time before he last come down and it’s one of the worse I’ve been to as well

Sep 16, 2009
First -The Jam in 1981 at Cornwall Coliseum
Worst - Michael Buble at Hyde Park (only went cos Van Morrison was support)
Best - U2 in Berlin for the 30th anniversary of the Joshua Tree
Last - Badly Drawn Boy at the 1865 in Southampton

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
First - Beatles, ABC in Plymouth. 1964 I think.
Worst - Don't think I've been to a bad one.
Best - Choice of two. Freddie Mercury Tribute at Wembley in 92 and Pink Floyd in Auckland 2006/7.
Last - Lynyrd Skynyrd and 10CC (great combination) at Matakana about 8 or 9 years ago.

Had tickets for Elton John - he went sick and flew home...cancelled! Had tickets for Rod Stewart - Tropical cyclone Gabrielle put paid to that. No accommodation and I'm not doing an 800km round trip, with a concert in the middle...in one day!! Bugger that.

Might try and get tickets for the Foo Fighters in Auckland later in the year.

Sep 16, 2009
First: REM gig at Cardiff Arms Park with support from Cranberries (excellent) and Del Amitri (terrible). Belly were on first but our coach driver got lost and we missed them

Worst: Either the V Festival in 2003 (headlined by Coldplay and Red Hot Chilli Peppers, two of the worst bands ever) as went with my ex or Bob Dylan at Hyde Park in 2019 (again picked by someone else) as he was so disappointing. Didn't seem interested and far too many songs were played in a completely different style. Thank goodness for some great support from Neil Young

Best: Two completely contrasting shows. David Bowie headlined at Glastonbury in 2000 and was amazing. Or a show by folk singer Chris Wood at Reeth village hall (near North Yorkshire's Richmond). He played for about 3 hours and I also won a case of Guinness in the raffle. He was on that long, there was a drinks interval. I got roped in in the kitchn and made him a cup of Earl Grey as the bergamot's good for the voice

Last: Saw a folk show at the Centre for Early Music in York a couple of weeks ago. Didn't really know any of the performers before but was blown away by the singer from a band called The Howl and The Hum who was doing a solo set. Off next week to watch Karine Polwart in Saltaire. She always puts on a good show.

M
Belly were excellent but I never heard much from them afterwards.

Feb 22, 2008
Mainly Saltash
First - Slade, Torquay Town Hall in the early 70s. Not a large venue but saw David Bowie there a year or two later.
Worst - Bootleg Beatles - very recently in the Pavilions. Some of the numbers were pretty good but they missed the mark a few times too.
Best - The Prodigy in the Pavilions about ten years ago. Absolutely fabulous, think I was one of the two oldest people there.
Last - Rumours of Fleetwood Mac, again in the Pavilions. A flat start but moved up a couple of gears at the break.

Derby Pilgrim

Jam First
Jun 20, 2011
South Derbyshire
First - other than radio 1 roadshows on the Hoe, Reel Big Fish and Goldfinder at the Carling academy, Birmingham. What a great gig for ska punk fans
Worst - Bad Manners, Chicago Rock, Pompey. I had a falling out with the Mrs before the gig. Bad Manners were great but I was not in the mood.
Best - Tough one. Blur Hyde Park was a great gig but the support acts were a bit poop. I would say Foo Fighters MK Bowl as Alice Cooper came out and did 2 songs with them and Biffy Clyro were supporting.
Last - The Offspring, NEC Brum. Was an amazing gig and the Hives were a support band.

Wish I had seen - Stevie Ray Vaughn, Gary Moore, Linkin Park, Pink Floyd,

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
First - Beatles, ABC in Plymouth. 1964 I think.
Worst - Don't think I've been to a bad one.
Best - Choice of two. Freddie Mercury Tribute at Wembley in 92 and Pink Floyd in Auckland 2006/7.
Last - Lynyrd Skynyrd and 10CC (great combination) at Matakana about 8 or 9 years ago.

Had tickets for Elton John - he went sick and flew home...cancelled! Had tickets for Rod Stewart - Tropical cyclone Gabrielle put paid to that. No accommodation and I'm not doing an 800km round trip, with a concert in the middle...in one day!! Bugger that.

Might try and get tickets for the Foo Fighters in Auckland later in the year.
If I come into some money, I’ll join you!

Reactions: Andy S

Bernie Bernbaum

Pasoti Quiz Champions
May 29, 2015
Opposite for me! Saw Belly. I had tickets for the Pixies and Throwing Muses that I couldn’t get to. Waiting for a gig tonight. The Chills in Birmingham. One of my favourite bands and the first time I’ve seen them
Lucky you. Liked them since Submarine Bells and have never seen them.