Captain | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Captain

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
briangreen":e475awyv said:
Ollieargyle9":e475awyv said:
earl grey":e475awyv said:
I'm offended that Chadwick passed the arm band to hula hoop, he couldn't lead a dog let alone my football team! Wotton purse Chadwick Blanchard FairPlay but an in-effective shambles of a centre mid...not for me, makes a joke of the role.

A tad harsh on the young lad, having seen him a couple of times this season I have to say my opinion has improved greatly on him, I think he is the player that apitomises all that is Fletch's vision for this football team. Fletch has said in the past that he plans to build a team around this lad and what better way to do that than to give him some responsibility at a young age to get him used to being the "go to guy" in the team by letting him captain the team. Hourihane still has a lot of learning to do and the only way he is going to learn is if Fletch puts his faith in him and gets him used to as many aspects of the game as possible and in a team based around a passing game it is likely that your key passer of the ball will captain the side when ready so why not prepare or test out the player we consider to be our future key passer under the captaincy role...

Yes, Walton became a much better player after he was given the captaincy

Yes Walton did, I said at least 12 months previous to his appointment as captain that 'that sort of player' will only settle when he is captain.

As others have asked, nelson would have been my choice, young also as he is the one in need of a confidence boost...it may bring out the player inside.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
So your choice then is someone who doesn't talk or someone that needs a confidence boost. Hmmm.

A

aishburton green

Hula hoop is that supposrd to be funny. Why do some people on here insist on pathetic made up names for players. Sort of thing you do when you are at primary school.
As for letting Conor have the armband for a few minutes,why not? A great confidence booster for a young man who i genuinly think cares about playing for us.

N

newquaygreen

kernow19":3irkkex6 said:
earl grey":3irkkex6 said:
I'm offended that Chadwick passed the arm band to hula hoop, he couldn't lead a dog let alone my football team! Wotton purse Chadwick Blanchard FairPlay but an in-effective shambles of a centre mid...not for me, makes a joke of the role.

Can't imagine Chadders saw it as a personal insult to you. I'm sure if he did he would offer you his profuse apologies,

:funny:

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
I was more disappointed that Chadwick was made Captain, than giving it to Hourihane.

Send Chadwick away as soon as possible, he is a waste of space as a footballer.

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
Without Chadwick we would have gone down last season, absolutely no doubt about that - perhaps worth remembering when he is out of form and before getting personal.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
ejh":274cz4t1 said:
Without Chadwick we would have gone down last season, absolutely no doubt about that - perhaps worth remembering when he is out of form and before getting personal.
It was our strong defence and Cattenacio style that contributed to most of the wins that kept us up last season. Not a striker that had 5 good games at most before reverting to type. In my view of course.

Apr 1, 2009
GreenSam":36ywzae6 said:
ejh":36ywzae6 said:
It was our strong defence and Cattenacio style that contributed to most of the wins that kept us up last season. Not a striker that had 5 good games at most before reverting to type. In my view of course.

"Cattenacio", eh? Not a word you read on Pasoti every day, though I suspect you have spelt it wrongly.

I do agree with your view though, I don't believe our survival was due to Chadwick.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
xmastree":13akrjul said:
GreenSam":13akrjul said:
ejh":13akrjul said:

"Cattenacio", eh? Not a word you read on Pasoti every day, though I suspect you have spelt it wrongly.

I do agree with your view though, I don't believe our survival was due to Chadwick.
Yes there's a bogus extra 't' and a missing 'c'! My apologies.

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
I never said our survival was due to Chadwick, I wrote we would have been relegated without him, which we would have.

His performance in the 2nd half v Bristol Rovers for a start, scoring 1 and setting up 2 goals when we were 2 nil down and getting battered.

He brought strength up front and was streetwise in winning free kicks and breaking up play for a young and inexperienced sid that didn't know any better.

Now we have different and more in form options it might be in vogue to criticise him and call him all names under the sun, but cast your minds back to when his loan ended from Stockport - I seem to remember most of pasoti pleading with Brent to sign him permanently.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
ejh":3hupoqir said:
I never said our survival was due to Chadwick, I wrote we would have been relegated without him, which we would have.

His performance in the 2nd half v Bristol Rovers for a start, scoring 1 and setting up 2 goals when we were 2 nil down and getting battered.

He brought strength up front and was streetwise in winning free kicks and breaking up play for a young and inexperienced sid that didn't know any better.

Now we have different and more in form options it might be in vogue to criticise him and call him all names under the sun, but cast your minds back to when his loan ended from Stockport - I seem to remember most of pasoti pleading with Brent to sign him permanently.
I don't agree with personal abuse of him or calling him bad names at all, but I entirely disagree that we would have gone down without him. I think better strikers could have done what he did in his loan spell and over a longer period of time. He did very well in that second half at Rovers granted, but it didn't transcend anything that a genuinely good League Two striker could have done and he could have done it over the whole season not just his loan spell.

Even if we hadn't won that Rovers game, that's one isolated game and aside from that Chadwick did very little to contribute in my view. A better striker could have done more.

Feb 21, 2011
Hourihane is a good footballer, holds the ball rarely loses it puts in a tackle when required and keeps going for 90 mins, he's 21(I think) so still learning the game if we manage to keep hold of him for a couple of seasons we will have a quality CM on our hands, to those that can't see that I suggest they give up watching the game as they are obviously clueless.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
BadBoy":1kgyc3t6 said:
Hourihane is a good footballer, holds the ball rarely loses it puts in a tackle when required and keeps going for 90 mins, he's 21(I think) so still learning the game if we manage to keep hold of him for a couple of seasons we will have a quality CM on our hands, to those that can't see that I suggest they give up watching the game as they are obviously clueless.

Spot on

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
GreenSam":1b35v4i5 said:
ejh":1b35v4i5 said:

I don't agree with personal abuse of him or calling him bad names at all, but I entirely disagree that we would have gone down without him. I think better strikers could have done what he did in his loan spell and over a longer period of time. He did very well in that second half at Rovers granted, but it didn't transcend anything that a genuinely good League Two striker could have done and he could have done it over the whole season not just his loan spell.

Even if we hadn't won that Rovers game, that's one isolated game and aside from that Chadwick did very little to contribute in my view. A better striker could have done more.

Chadwick contributed more in real terms than Feeney (or any other Argyle forward) in the second half of the season - by real terms I mean goals and assists.

And as for theorising another striker would have done better, there is no way of knowing that. The strikers you are thinking of - were they in demand at the time, and come as cheap as Chadders, allowing us to bring in Purse, Blanch, Wotton and MacDonald? Madjo for example would have been impossible at that time and for these reasons.