Captain | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Captain

earl grey

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Nov 26, 2011
I'm offended that Chadwick passed the arm band to hula hoop, he couldn't lead a dog let alone my football team! Wotton purse Chadwick Blanchard FairPlay but an in-effective shambles of a centre mid...not for me, makes a joke of the role.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
Does it really matter we won didn't we and are through to the next round

Jun 22, 2008
Taunton
So, as none of the above mentioned were playing, who would you have given it to? Jamie Richards, Scott Jenkins, Andres.......

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
I was very happy with Chadwick as a stand-in captain tonight. Then I would've given it to Young or Hourihane anyway because none of the others play regularly for the club and, although a little stupid, you'll be surprised that just giving Hourihane 10 minutes as captain can provide a great confidence boost for the lad.

Dec 28, 2010
Would have gone for Nelson as captain when Chadders went off because he deserved it for a commanding performance at the back.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
I wouldn't have had Chadders as Captain from the start, but I suppose he was the senior player..

Did wonder who he handed the band to. Hourihane was a good choice for the last 20 in my opinion.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
earl grey":ajtlvozg said:
I'm offended that Chadwick passed the arm band to hula hoop, he couldn't lead a dog let alone my football team! Wotton purse Chadwick Blanchard FairPlay but an in-effective shambles of a centre mid...not for me, makes a joke of the role.

A tad harsh on the young lad, having seen him a couple of times this season I have to say my opinion has improved greatly on him, I think he is the player that apitomises all that is Fletch's vision for this football team. Fletch has said in the past that he plans to build a team around this lad and what better way to do that than to give him some responsibility at a young age to get him used to being the "go to guy" in the team by letting him captain the team. Hourihane still has a lot of learning to do and the only way he is going to learn is if Fletch puts his faith in him and gets him used to as many aspects of the game as possible and in a team based around a passing game it is likely that your key passer of the ball will captain the side when ready so why not prepare or test out the player we consider to be our future key passer under the captaincy role...

Jul 6, 2011
Ollieargyle9":37nw6m3z said:
earl grey":37nw6m3z said:

A tad harsh on the young lad, having seen him a couple of times this season I have to say my opinion has improved greatly on him, I think he is the player that apitomises all that is Fletch's vision for this football team. Fletch has said in the past that he plans to build a team around this lad and what better way to do that than to give him some responsibility at a young age to get him used to being the "go to guy" in the team by letting him captain the team. Hourihane still has a lot of learning to do and the only way he is going to learn is if Fletch puts his faith in him and gets him used to as many aspects of the game as possible and in a team based around a passing game it is likely that your key passer of the ball will captain the side when ready so why not prepare or test out the player we consider to be our future key passer under the captaincy role...

Yes, Walton became a much better player after he was given the captaincy

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
briangreen":3pl29xrw said:
Ollieargyle9":3pl29xrw said:
earl grey":3pl29xrw said:

Not quite what I meant, Walton was a fully fledged player by the time he was made captain and so learning new tricks wasn't really the aim of the game for him he had reached the age where players are considered to have little progression, Hourihane is still learning so any experience for him I would say is a good thing. I'm not saying it will have an immediate and profound effect on Hourihane as a player but in the long run if you've done something before even in small doses it becomes easier to take to when you re-visit it.

Unless of course you are agreeing with me and thought Walton was one of our better players last year in which case yes Walton improved and it was all down to that band on his arm :lol:

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
What a poor OP.

Who else would have got it? Berry-doesn't shout on the pitch, Hourihane does. Nelson-ditto. Gilmartin, Richards, S.Griffiths= debutants. Lennox, doesn't communicate on the pitch. Gurreri-ditto. Sims is 18 and making his 5th or so appearance.

So, Rhys Grififths, Luke Young or Conor Hourihane left. CH has the most professional and Argyle experience of the three, probably shouts most, certainly dictates play most. He's a good young player who despite occasional decision making lapses and doubts on his usefulness always TRIES his best and clearly cares. I think he's a good choice of captain and there's something of a young Fletcher about him, just hope he develops. The mean spirited tone of that post for me is the real embarrassment.

"Offended". Ffs.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
earl grey":1lv7q4tv said:

Can't imagine Chadders saw it as a personal insult to you. I'm sure if he did he would offer you his profuse apologies,

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
briangreen":17crjjko said:
Ollieargyle9":17crjjko said:
earl grey":17crjjko said:

'Better player'? If you mean by not getting sent off every other game afterwards?

As for CH, what is it about Argyle fans that prey on their own vulnerabilities? I read a thread slating Luke Young sarcastically aand couldnt believe my eyes. CH is in fine form by all accounts. He's a young lad from Ireland trying to make his career in the game. He is clearly a talented passer and playmaker, Fletch wants to build a team around him. Wenger has done the same with Ramsey - building his leader of tomorrow when the likes of Fabregas and RVP were absent. Hourihane has had the most appearances out of all the team last night, so it's not as if he's a unknown junior - he's in the team to stay. And after a decent performance with the armband, you'd think the Argyle fans might actually try and support him?