(Can we have) Stadium expansion? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

(Can we have) Stadium expansion?

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
I have been a huge advocate for expanding the stadium but let’s see if the novelty wears off for the people of Plymouth next season. I still think we will average about 15,000 next season.

• Unlike
Reactions: Ian C and oldage
May 21, 2018
I live in Bournemouth where the club has a lot more money to throw about. They have two advanced plans for a stadium redevelopment and a new training ground and have decided like Argyle that the training ground is their priority.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Obviously not an architect or construction engineer but I always wondered if by completing the stadium by filling in the corners would allow the roof to be more complete because the support would be complete rather than the grandstand for instance being self supported.

I also wondered if there would ever be the possibility to build outside of the horseshoe to build a new structure for a second tier.

Apr 2, 2024
It was only last week people were complaining that money being spent infrastructure such as Brickfields should have been spent on players.

48 hours after retaining our league status that argument can't have changed especially as we now know what's coming in August.
I was certainly asking whether the playing budget could be increased and the time frame for paying for Brickfields increased. I’m still of the same opinion now.

However I accept that our income will significantly increase due to the tv money and the gamble to operate on a much lower budget for a year may just have paid off.

It’s been a wacky season. If you told me in November we’d finish above Birmingham and below Wednesday I’d have thought you were mad.

Reactions: MustardEagle
Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I was certainly asking whether the playing budget could be increased and the time frame for paying for Brickfields increased. I’m still of the same opinion now.

However I accept that our income will significantly increase due to the tv money and the gamble to operate on a much lower budget for a year may just have paid off.

It’s been a wacky season. If you told me in November we’d finish above Birmingham and below Wednesday I’d have thought you were mad.
and Ipswich would be promoted !

Apr 30, 2011
A agree, the corner infill is surely the easiest and most cost effective option and the additional 1,000-2,000 seats (depending on design) would be a real asset moving forwards.
My understanding is the corners are not cost efficient and would represent the most expensive seat to cost ratio of the entire stadium.

Jan 11, 2017
I have been a huge advocate for expanding the stadium but let’s see if the novelty wears off for the people of Plymouth next season. I still think we will average about 15,000 next season.
It isn’t so much that the novelty will wear off so much as attendances dropping if the team is really struggling and losing every week. Manager and player investment is more crucial than ever this summer and I really don’t envy SH and his advisors particularly after the Foster debacle

Reactions: saxman
Apr 1, 2009
It would have been interesting to know, had we not won on Saturday, how many season tickets we would have sold in L1. Would the waiting list have taken care of all vacancies created by those not renewing? If crowds could have held up after relegation then the argument for expansion would be very strong. If not, it becomes an expensive gamble.

Oct 26, 2005
Plymouth
I said it before and I’ll say it again, doing the mayflower on the cheap will cost this club in the long run. It shouldn’t have been allowed to be constructed.

Sep 3, 2011
The club is still playing catch-up. The Academy and Mayflower stand should have been priorities 20 years ago when Argyle were last in the Championship. It would have been easier to do then, especially when you consider the Championship wasn't as strong as it is today.
I believe Bradford expanded with funds from their 2 seasons in the Premier League.
It's really a catch 22 for Argyle, do they wait to increase capacity until a significant new investor rolls up or do they do something sooner. One thing for certain is that construction costs will continue to rise.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
The club have already said they are looking at the feasibility of increasing capacity but currently there are other priorities.
I think attendances will be equally as good next season especially as demand was greater than availability this season bar a couple of midweek fixtures.
The corners whilst looking the obvious place to put seats as they are empty would be the least cost effective.
Barring a major expansion of the grandstand from new investment the two ends seem to be the most cost effective way forward, starting with the Devonport End.
The changing rooms corner might yet be needed for changing room and fitness room expansion, press or tv room space or more corporate space?
Bobby's garden corner houses the control room and an increase to the Devonport end could take up some of that space anyway.
Over the next couple of years we have to complete Brickfields, finish the first team training facilities at Harper's and possibly sort out the upper grandstand seating issues.
By then I think the board will have a good idea of demand and the cost effectiveness of any increase. I think almost all of us would like to see a 20,000 or more stadium but a little more patience will be required.