Brief Synopsis!!! (Bristol Rovers) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Bristol Rovers)

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
Fair result. We bossed 1st half, they the 2nd. Lameiras outstanding. The substitutiins, both enforced, weakened us. Threkeld never got close enough to his man at any time & asking Jones to play in front of the defence when Songo'o knows that role inside out was puzzling. Disappointing we couldn't manage the game better once we led. God knows we suffered at the hands of Wycombe enough times but haven't learnt that art. Still, looks like we're no worse off tonight with a game less to play. COYG.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Worth mentioning the lead up to our first goal.

Rovers were breaking, Sercombe was free at the back post and had the cross been played just a few seconds earlier, he probably would have had a tap-in. Riley realised just in time, went to the back post and did brilliantly to flick it away from danger. We then counter attack, and score. Fine margins.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Nobby":3jhbavgh said:
I thought Macey played really well. I didn’t have a great view of the late goal, but what did he do wrong otherwise??

Absolutely Nobby. What’s more I think Matt’s height is a real advantage against this kind of opposition.

Apr 5, 2008
Think we should just do enough to stay up, but Adams needs a basic footballing lesson. If you've got the ball then the other team can't score. His attitude seems to be, give the ball away to the opposition so they have a chance to score.

No need to sit so deep and keep lumping the ball back to the opposition, been doing that ever since he became manager. Hate his negative tactics when the team has some great attacking players.

Jan 7, 2007
Plymouth
up_the_line":1oyiewoo said:
Only one synopsis required.
Argyle would have won that game if Adams hadn't brought Jones on, gone to 6 at the back and basically asked Rovers to pump it into the box.
I'm not a religious man but I pray on a daily basis that some Scottish team see him as the answer. I've no idea what the question would be mind.
Also if you were having a good laugh at lobbing the ball away from the throw in taker have the intelligence to take it on the chin when you get ripped when they score. I'm afraid there was a certain karmic inevitability to the equaliser after that stupidity

Jones replaced Fox who was injured. Songoo gestured that he would play in Fox's place but Jones waved him off & indicated he would play in front of the centre bacjs presumably as instructed. A bizarre decision imo.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Nobby":drd3pt0e said:
I thought Macey played really well. I didn’t have a great view of the late goal, but what did he do wrong otherwise??

Scuffed a routine back pass out into touch for the throw that the equaliser came from

Mar 14, 2009
I do wonder IF we get relegated if people think then it time for Adams to go.

We would be back to where we started under him. The football is very negative under him. Get a goal. Sit on the lead.

I don’t see who Adams has to report to. He seems like he has too much power.

Do we have our very own lower league Arsene Wenger where Adams is unsackable? I say this because l look at how much power on the footballing side of things he has. It was mentioned in the fans forum how we are going to develop our youth. That kind of made me laugh because under Adams our youth players only get a chance when things are very desperate.

The philosophy of the club off the field to make youth development a priority is one that l think goes against Adams onfield philosophy it seems. I mean after almost four seasons who started in youth development as player at the start of Adams reign and has successfully made a transition to the first team for a sustained period? Cooper, Fletcher, Jephcott etc.... They all get very small amount of game time then vanish again never to be seen anywhere near playing for the first team. And when l say game time it is normally in the shape of the football league trophy.... :roll: and the injury ravaged odd league appearance

Mar 16, 2009
London
up_the_line":3bmyddb3 said:
Nobby":3bmyddb3 said:

Scuffed a routine back pass out into touch for the throw that the equaliser came from

Erm. No he didn't.

The goal came from open play.

You're really stooping low if you have to make things up.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Justin":gmht51ol said:
up_the_line":gmht51ol said:
Nobby":gmht51ol said:

Erm. No he didn't.

The goal resulted from a long throw which Argyle didn't clear. The long throw came from a really crap clearance by Macey (his second of the game) from an easy back pass

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
thoroughly enjoyed this pulsating match with a draw i think being fair although i almost feel like we lost because they equalised so late.matt macey pulled off a wonder save on the stroke of half time but i will mark him lower marks because in the last 10 minutes he was fluffing his kicks and from where i sit the equaliser was soft.taking off fox was ridiculous as he won every ball in the middle.our defence played well against their best player, number 19,with edwards and riley having fantastic matches.it was a blow carey being injured as i feel when he and ruben are playing we can beat any team,as it was ruben was absolutely immaculate and scored a great goal,i am already mourning his departure.my ratings;
Matt Macey - 8
Joe Riley - 9
Ryan Edwards - 9
Niall Canavan - 8
Gary Sawyer - 8
Yann Songo'o - 7
David Fox - 10
Antoni Sarcevic - 7
Jamie Ness - 8
Ruben Lameiras - 10
Freddie Ladapo - 6
my man of the match was foxy but could have been ruben also.

Sep 6, 2006
up_the_line":30fc8vi6 said:
PL2 3DQ":30fc8vi6 said:
Another entertaining game at Home Park that finished with a frustrating 2-2 draw. On the plus we started the game 3 points clear of the relegation zone but are now 4 points from the drop.

We twice deservedly took the lead and always needed a two goal cushion, we didn't and paid the price in the 91st minute when Rovers grabbed their second equaliser.

Rovers first goal and our second goal was all about the linesman on the Lyndhurst side, we were attacking and the ball clearly went over the line for a corner to us, he didn't give it and Rovers broke away and Clarke-Harris scored a fantastic long range effort.
Our second goal from a corner was adjudged over the line by the linesman when Reilly scored an own goal after attempting to head the ball away from danger.

Our attacking display deserved to win the game, Lameiras was superb and linked well with Sawyer and Ness in the first half, Fox pulled the strings and Ladapo was always a threat with his pace.

Graham Carey was out through injury and Ness replaced him - Adams switched to three centre-backs and two wing-backs with a diamond midfield of Lameiras at the tip, Fox at the base, Ness on the left and Sarcevic on the right.

In a great atmosphere (dozens of Rovers fans were stood on the steps because there didn't appear enough seats) we started well and our change in formation seemed to surprise Rovers.
Everything was created down our left side with Lameiras, Sawyer and Ness playing neat triangles and working the ball into good positions.
Ladapo had a low shot that was tipped around the post by Bonham in the Rovers goal, Riley supplied low fierce cross from the right that just evaded Ladapo at the far post while Lameiras had two efforts from the edge of the area that he hit too high.
Rovers' defenders did well to block shots and close us down but we were guilty of taking one pass too many and not pulling the trigger - we were too elaborate.

On the stroke of half time a rare Rovers attack saw Macey pull of a magnificent close range save, it looked like Nichols had scored but somehow Macey kept it out and the follow up header went over the bar.

We started the second half again on the front foot and this time Lameiras operated more on the right side. We forced a couple of corners and Ness had a shot saved - the pressure was building.

We looked stretched on one Rovers attack with Riley the only defender in the far side of the penalty area, he managed to get a great clearing header on a cross that found its way to Lameiras, he fed Fox who passed back to him, he advanced into the area and sent an angled shot into the far corner for a superb goal and Home Park erupted!

We looked for a killer second goal and with Rovers pushing forward we always had Lameiras and Ladapo reading to break free, however much like the first half we had some promising passages of attacking play that didn't result in a clear chance or shot on goal.

Threlkeld replaced the injured Riley at wing back.

The linesman then played centre-stage, he didn't award us a clear corner and Clarke-Harris rode a few weak tackles and sent a cracking shot into the top corner from 25 yards. It was poor defending from us but you have to admit it was a great goal.

Just three minutes later we got our noses in front again when a Lameiras corner was kindly headed in by Craig, he was unmarked and smashed his header into the crossbar, the ball bounced down and was clearly over the line - all eyes were now on the linesman who has a problem with balls clearly over the line - thankfully he got this decision correct and awarded the goal. A goal and now an assist for Lameiras - Carey who?

The focus now was not to defend too deep and Paul Wotton kept urging the defence to push up.

We still had chances on the counter attack with Ladapo having his best spell of the game. Jones replaced Fox and played in midfield and with time running out it looked like the 3 points would be staying in Plymouth.

In the 91st minute a speculative cross was sent in and Reilly glanced in a header to beat Macey. 2-2 and a late sucker punch.
It was gutting and finished 2-2.

Lameiras had a great game and was the focus of nearly every attack, his work rate - vastly improved since the Burton game in December - was excellent.
Ladapo had good spells and with the new formation he rarely had an Argyle shirt within 10 yards of him.

Fox was exceptional, always finding the right pass and keeping play ticking over

Macey has returned to the team as a totally different and better keeper, one sliced clearance is now a rarity rather than the norm and saved us a point with that fantastic first half save.

Ness was one of better players in the first half, although as expected he ran out of steam late in the game.

Riley was unlucky with an injury but he did play a big part in preventing Rovers from scoring and setting up our first goal.

Edwards was our best defender and won a lot of headers, we needed a bit more from Sarcevic - we still wait for his usual exceptional game from a run of 4 or 5.

Overall, we played really well, it's just that we were caught out with a wonder goal and a late late goal.

Man of the match: Lameiras.

Macey 7, Edwards 7, Songo'o 6, Canavan 6, Riley 7, Fox 7, Sawyer 7, Ness 7, Sarcevic 6, Lameiras 8, Ladapo 6. Subs: Threlkeld 6, Jones n/a.

Is that really how basically you see the game? We were done by a wonder goal and a 'late goal'? It had nothing to do with Adams going to a back 6 for ten minutes and asking Rovers to have a go? That bizarre tactical change doesnt even get a mention. Wow.
Also Riley had been subbed by the time they scored in the 91st so I'm not sure what game you were at

And he always finds a way to blame the officials every week. Amazing!

May 1, 2011
mervyn":1kh3u40a said:
In 36 years of watching Argyle that’s only the second game I can recall without a single offside.

Did Sawyer not play it to Reuben in the 1st half early on by the Barn Park end? That was flagged for offside.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
up_the_line":hjdnafji said:
Justin":hjdnafji said:
up_the_line":hjdnafji said:
Nobby":hjdnafji said:

Erm. No he didn't.

The goal resulted from a long throw which Argyle didn't clear. The long throw came from a really crap clearance by Macey (his second of the game) from an easy back pass

Long way from the touchline to the back of the net. Macey (and I) might expect a couple of our players to intercept the ball en route? :think:

Mar 16, 2009
London
up_the_line":20s38cka said:
Justin":20s38cka said:
up_the_line":20s38cka said:
Nobby":20s38cka said:

Erm. No he didn't.

The throw in was in the opposition’s half!!
Matt cleared the ball into the Bristol Rovers’ half.
That’s a clearance is it not?
He didn’t slice it.
He was aiming for Ruben on the wing.

Is that all you’ve got?