Brief Synopsis!!! (Bristol Rovers) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Bristol Rovers)

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
Blink and you'd miss it! Cracking game overall and definitely a game of 2 halves. Didn't hear any boos at HT, not sure where the OP got that from. The biggest concern is Song'o, he was truly shocking. He has poor acceleration, and he cannot change direction effectively. He was found out early on Rovers played this to their advantage. Luckily we used the conditions more effectively and won! Ness was good, Carey had his moments, Lameras wasn't quite on fire, but my mom was Makasi

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
1) Mistake by Adams in playing Songo'o at LCB. He should have either played ATS instead and moved Sawyer inside, or swapped Songo'o and Vyner around. That said, even if he was out of position, Songo'o had an absolute mare, albeit he slightly redeemed himself with a decent 2nd half.

2) Completely disagree with those saying that Matthews was nervous. He's too composed. He's always left it late with his kicking when an opposition striker bearing down on him. Once it happened once, I thought "well know that he's been charged down once he shouldn't fall for it again. Boy did he. Don't know how I feel about him charging out both times afterwards too - I think our outfielders should have done more to try and help him out.

3) 1st half was a shambles. Rovers pressed us high, we couldn't pass through them, and we should have gone long to Taylor more often. Defensively all over the shop. Should have been 3-0 down at half time. The fact that it was only 1-2 was a steal from our point of view.

4) What Carey was doing trying to play an intricate little flick on the edge of his own box I don't know, but that led to the free kick and 0-1. That said, I'm sure the guy was offside when it was played to him. Shouldn't have even got as far as the free kick decision, which was also debatable.

5) Their 2nd goal... just about the softest goal we've conceded all season, all on Songo'o. Just stand him up. Stay goal side, simple, job done. Of course not, he might as well not have been there he made it so easy for Harrison to get past him and score.

6) 2nd half much more like it, we got our passing game going and they couldn't deal with us. Especially the Ness / Sawyer / Carey triangle. It was helped too by Rovers sitting in and going for the point - big mistake. They should have carried on pressing us high up. We smelled blood once they sat in.

7) The fans (on both sides) - jog on. I don't care if this happened loads in the 1980's or whatever, grown men acting like that makes me cringe. Go down to Union Street on a Saturday night if you want to have a scrap with someone.

8) Adams said the right thing at half time. How often under previous managers have we seen a 1st half like that, and then an equally poor 2nd half with the manager having no idea how to change it. Boy did Adams change it at half time here. I think I'm right in saying that in the precious 4 times we've gone behind in games, we've lost none of them - what an effort that is.

Matthews 4

Threlkeld 7
Vyner 6
Songo'o 3 (1 first half, 6 second half)
Sawyer 6

Fox 6
Makasi 6
Ness 8

Lameiras 6
Carey 6
Taylor 7.

O

ogwellmike

There were some boos around block 13 but, like you say, they weren’t coming from us regulars.

Jul 29, 2012
An additional comment on the Rovers second goal , it came direct from Carey “ fluffing” an easy 2 on 1 chance with Lameiras which would have given Lameiras a clear shooting chance from a decent angle . Instead he delayed , got robbed , they went straight down our end and scored . A good chance of 2-1 to us became 2-1 to them through sloppy play from 2 players . If Carey gets the pass right they don’t score that goal .

DA certainly gave them a rocket at half time . The chasing down went up at least 2 levels with Carey , Taylor and Lameiras leading the way .

Looking at the pens on Sky both seem a bit fortunate to me . The first one definitely a dive . Second one , the defender isn’t looking at Songo but has his arm out . It’s diffusion to tell whether Songo just ran into his arm or moved it to grab Songo . However given the ref gave the pen and booked him tgdvref must have been clear .

I think that what is stopping us being a really excellent team is the lack of a pacey left back. Sawyer is dependable but when we are attacking everything stops when it gets to him. This is because he doesn’t possess the pace to get past his marker. So he puts his foot on it and passes backwards or sideways. This slows our attacks down and gives the opposition time to organise. I think that the rest of the team feel this and often the obvious ball to Sawyer doesn’t come because they don’t have confidence in him as an attacker.
I also noticed ( as a point of interest) how much more we are pressing the opposition in their half than we were earlier in the season. Earlier we were sitting back and allowing them to play and pretty much do what they wanted in their own half. It was all about defensive shape. Now we are pressing and harrying all over the pitch.

Jul 12, 2016
Threlkeld tends to stop attacks in the same way as Sawyer so nothing to do with lack of pace ,more to do with tactics.Still cannot understand why Sawyer does not play CB with Taylor-Sinclair at left back

Ray Stidwell

Jam First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
abandonedhope":2nm5a5yo said:
I think that what is stopping us being a really excellent team is the lack of a pacey left back. Sawyer is dependable but when we are attacking everything stops when it gets to him. This is because he doesn’t possess the pace to get past his marker. So he puts his foot on it and passes backwards or sideways. This slows our attacks down and gives the opposition time to organise. I think that the rest of the team feel this and often the obvious ball to Sawyer doesn’t come because they don’t have confidence in him as an attacker.
Don’t disagree, but note that even Gazza has his moments, like that fabulous cross early on last Good Friday for Jake’s header, & indeed his goal on Boxing Day, for which he was most definitely “up there” & well-positioned ( the build-up did come from the right though).

Ray Stidwell

Jam First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 20, 2003
Penn, near High Wycombe
samjones":stj2w14x said:
#SAFETYISNAILEDON

COYG

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Indeed it is Sam; so you’re now accepting there’ll be no pay-out due from me for your Tenner in acceptance of my generous 1,000/1 odds should Argyle be relegated this season.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Charlie's reaction behind the goal when the second penalty is awarded is pretty special. :lol:

Oct 24, 2010
Not a classic played at 100mph with scrappy goals, both teams set about denying time and space to the other side but it was a great battling performance with huge commitment, work rate, belief and will to win which resulted in a massive three points, particularly given the results of the teams around us. It is now very much in our own hands. Don't really agree with Derek Adams that it was a great game of football but agree with him totally that Ness was the best player on the pitch. He is now a key player, and he needs to stay injury free and although I quite like Songo'o I think it is crucial to our prospects that Bradley gets back sooner than later, yesterday showed what a huge player he is for us.

Old Gunner":xu67fyhu said:
Great report Fay Green Belly-well written and made me chuckle.
Thanks old gooner and others. Glad you think my rambling literature has improved.
Still a struggle to make it readable at times though. I aint no natural at it thats for sure.
I really enjoy getting whats in my head down quick as i know itll all be gone in a couple of days.
Love trying to capture the argyle "footie experience"in words.
Even if it seems more wierdsmith than wordsmith at times. :greensmile:

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
IJN":25u1qxil said:
Mark Pedlar":25u1qxil said:
IJN":25u1qxil said:
No one's mentioned it but I will.

The wind at pitch level was really wild today, no surprise that we played not that well in the first half and far far better in the second.

A lot of the players mentioned it afterwards.

Same for both teams though Ian

That's why I think they won the first half and us the second.

:thumbup:

I said the same on the way home that the wind played a big part in the game and I would suggest Adams half time talk had an impact as well.