Bottom 6 all terrible? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Bottom 6 all terrible?

Lots of fans fretting about how many points needed to survive, but this midweek none of the strugglers did well. QPR looked OK to me on Tuesday, but I watched Blues v Cardiff on TV last night. They were clueless going forward, lacked pace, creativity, leadership or a plan B. They were truly honking. Sound familiar too?

A few weeks back I thought it was R’ham down, Hudds just above them, with Birmingham or Argyle getting that grisly third relegation berth. It still could be, but truly impossible to call. However, it seems everyone at the bottom struggling for decent patterns of play, goals or points. ATM, at least, the point on Tuesday looking more palatable now!

Reactions: IvyG
Nov 22, 2018
I'm not sure if it's good news or bad news, but a lot of the other relegation candidates still have to play each other (including us). Hopefully it can result in successive losses for our relegation rivals as I fear that's the only way we can stay up.

For example;
This weekend is Wednesday vs Stoke
Next weekend is Argyle vs Stoke & Blackburn vs Wednesday
Weekend after Argyle vs Millwall & Huddersfield vs Birmingham

There's still going to be plenty of twists, but I fear we're the most vulnerable.

Apr 30, 2006
Broad generalisation of course but visiting other sites it seems every fansite is convinced their team is the most likely to go down :unsure: FWIW bookies now have Brum and Weds joint favourites, Hudds just above and us then at 2/1 for the drop (Skybet)

Aug 4, 2011
The problem is, we don’t actually know what results we want in those other games. Brum v Hudders for instance, we just need 2 teams to go on runs worse than us, just who those 2 are nobody knows. It’s in our own hands, if we get relegated from here it’s our own fault.
I think objectively we’d take draws in all of the games involving teams playing each other around us, a point each and the other point floats off down the river. I think we need to win at least one of the next 3 (or draw them all) to go into the Hull game with our noses in front

Nov 18, 2011
All the bottom teams seem madly inconsistent to me. One week they're stinking out the joint, the next they're nicking wins against top teams.

For example Millwall beat Leicester recently but also lost to Rotherham whilst Blackburn scored 5 one week then let in 5 the next week. We just can't rely on them being rubbish to save us from relegation.

My issue over the last couple of months is I just can't see Argyle even getting any of those lucky wins. Our only recent win was against the one team in the league we were expected to beat.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
I'm not sure if it's good news or bad news, but a lot of the other relegation candidates still have to play each other (including us). Hopefully it can result in successive losses for our relegation rivals as I fear that's the only way we can stay up.

For example;
This weekend is Wednesday vs Stoke
Next weekend is Argyle vs Stoke & Blackburn vs Wednesday
Weekend after Argyle vs Millwall & Huddersfield vs Birmingham

There's still going to be plenty of twists, but I fear we're the most vulnerable.
You’re only talking about teams playing other teams around them.
For me, the most vulnerable team has to be Blackburn. Bristol City is a fair indication that they have extremes in them and they still have a far harder schedule than we do.

Rotherham and Blackburn are my favourites to go down and I believe it’s one of Birmingham or Huddersfield to join them with an outside chance it could be Sheffield Wednesday.
I think three draws could keep us safe which is completely doable against Millwall, Stoke and Hull. Should we beat Leicester on Friday than every is gravy.

Reactions: Emeraldinho

Frank Butcher

🏮󠁧󠁱󠁳󠁣󠁮󠁿🏮󠁧󠁱󠁳󠁣󠁮󠁿🏮󠁧󠁱󠁳󠁣󠁮󠁿🏮󠁧󠁱󠁳󠁣󠁮󠁿🏮󠁧󠁱󠁳󠁣󠁮󠁿🏮󠁧󠁱󠁳󠁣󠁮󠁿
✹Pasoti Donor✹
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
That Millwall result against Leicester was the sickener - I’d convinced myself they were on the way down after their Huddersfield defeat. Best for us that they beat Cardiff and draw clear now - before we play them.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat
Jul 8, 2016
In order for Birmingham to overtake us the minimum they need is 4 pts from 12. Thats if Argyle lose all 4....
If Argyle can win 1 of the 4 last games then Brum need 7 pts minimum to get above us......i think Brum will be gone.
Its the final 3rd spot that makes me nervous.....we have never been in the bottom 3 all season and have the best goal difference. Ill be physically sick if we lose a couple games by the odd goal and draw the other 2 and then find out one of the pack has beating us on goal difference last game.

We can do this....its in our hands COYGs

Apr 20, 2004
Dorset
For me the biggest worry is all those around us sharing the points around them in their head to heads. We really need (at least) two teams to have awful runs but I can quite easily see for example Wednesday beating Stoke, Blackburn beating Wednesday and Stoke beating us!
If we don't pick up five points in the last four games I can see all the other teams creeping above us. I think our game against Stoke will be pivotal.

Reactions: Barncr and Green95
Jan 23, 2024
I just don't see where we are going to score enough goals to beat any of the last 4 teams we play. I can see us perhaps getting a couple of draws, but sadly don't think that will be enough. Of course I hope I'm completely wrong - In fact I frequently am, so fingers crossed.

Reactions: Emeraldinho

Wembury Pilgrim

✅ Evergreen
Dec 15, 2020
I can't help but worry that if we do stay up, then we'll only be next season's Rotherham and end up as whipping boys for all. Almost the whole squad will need overhauling and regardless of Whittaker commanding a big fee I just don't see where the resources will come from.
đŸ„șTextbook example of PASOTI positivity there mate.
We’ve always got a small budget, but fantastic spirit and are a shrewd club (excluding IFs appointment obviously).
Get the right manager in and we can build and hopefully improve.
stay positive Pilgrim, it’s in our hands.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✹Pasoti Donor✹
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
I think that retaining our significant goal difference advantage is the key. As things stand, all three teams below us in the scrap need to better our results in the last four games by three points (a win) and so if we can win one more game then that means that they will all have to win at least two of their remaining four games to overtake us. If we can also get another positive result somewhere along the line (even a draw) then it would mean that those three teams could only afford to lose one of their remaining games. One of them might improve their form enough to do that but I can’t really see all three of them doing so especially as Huddersfield and Birmingham have to play each other and they can’t both win that one.

The only sensible expectation from Fridays game against Leicester is that we will lose - my hope is that we don’t take a big goal difference (and confidence) hit. Anything else will be an absolute bonus. Then we just have to go to Stoke and win. If that happens we could potentially wrap up safety at Millwall.