Boring, boring everyone! | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Boring, boring everyone!

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Is it just me? Am I the only one falling out of love with the game?
I find this possession based stuff so tedious.
I was watching Inter ('my team' here in Italy) on TV last night. They conceded after 4 minutes and proceeded to faff around for the next 70. If you get a free kick about 35 yards from the opponents goal, why does it end up back with your goalkeeper? And what is this nonsense at goal kicks? Just asking the other team to press you.
Anyway, Inter finally got going in the last 15, playing fast, forward thinking football and got their equaliser 4 minutes from time.
I didn't enjoy most of the game and they are one of Europe's top sides at present, so you can imagine how I feel when Argyle start faffing around too!!

Reactions: X Isle
Apr 16, 2016
I think I'm falling out of life let alone the game !
2-3-5 has evolved to some teams even playing without one striker.
20 mph speed limits are springing up everywhere.
Are there any characters left in the game , was Zlatan the last one prior to extinction?
No-one under 40 will go up a ladder - it's scaffold over 6 feet.
Don't take a player on - you could lose possession.
I'm grossly over simplifying of course - there is incredible skill and technical ability en masse these days .. but..
2020's life is so risk free I reckon the biggest chance we've got of dying is from boredom.

Oct 10, 2012
Non league is where it’s at. Find it SO much more enjoyable. Professional football is a bit all too theatre today for my personal liking, however I fully understand why it’s far more popular.

Beer on the sideline and watching two teams filled with normal lads playing an honest game, putting precious money into a club run by volunteers is what it’s all about for me.

Can’t recommend it enough.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
I see where you're coming from Lousy. I do think the game is quicker now than it used to be, and regarding goalkeepers in general, I don't think anyone would want to go back to the days when keepers could kill time by picking up backpasses. It's all about playing the percentages I guess isn't it - modern football is so data-driven, I'd imagine that the statistics demonstrate that smashing a goal kick down the middle is likely to result in a turnover and risk the concession of a goal. But I'm with you really, I grew up watching blood-and-snotters 4-4-2 on dodgy pitches, and the Champions League in particular is so sterile.

I am really not a fan of VAR either, which is one reason why I'm quite happy to stay in the championship.

I think X’isle covered this rather well a couple of years ago when he suggested the Prem game had turned into a choreograph, with all teams now playing and reacting in a similar fashion. There are some exceptions though. Tottenham seem to have recovered their traditional buccaneering style, and the ‘Ave a go’ style of the England cricket team made for one of the best Ashes series in years. Sorry to get a bit political '''''''''' (no apology needed, I just removed it. Site Admin)

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 16, 2016
In fairness I do remember, prior to 3 points for a win, some really dull matches at Home Park where teams came for a 0-0 with numbers in defence and passing back to the keeper all day but that was more 'win at home , draw away'..

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
There is no team worse than the England team for this. Kyle Walker literally can not wait to turn back and knock it back. He also loves taking a throw in from the edge of the opponents boxing and throwing it straight it back in to our own half.

I like to have a pound on how many corners there will be in a game and you notice it way more when you need one more corner with 15 mins to go for £100 and they keep turning back!

Reactions: SurreyJanner

SurreyJanner

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 30, 2015
There is no team worse than the England team for this. Kyle Walker literally can not wait to turn back and knock it back. He also loves taking a throw in from the edge of the opponents boxing and throwing it straight it back in to our own half.

I like to have a pound on how many corners there will be in a game and you notice it way more when you need one more corner with 15 mins to go for £100 and they keep turning back!
crab football - sideways, sideways and back. Never forward.

Reactions: BeetleBurger

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Delighted to see Schuey read this thread and did away with the tippy tappy, ticky tacky crap today. Much better and more enjoyable with a few long balls thrown in, even if Narch probably had more possession.

AdelaideGreen

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Jan 11, 2017
Delighted to see Schuey read this thread and did away with the tippy tappy, ticky tacky crap today. Much better and more enjoyable with a few long balls thrown in, even if Narch probably had more possession.
Oh, interesting!!
I wonder which 'nom de plume' he operates under??
BG and tonic? The real 'Daz'?, Lousy half pint?

Reactions: Graham Clark
Jul 29, 2010
Non league is where it’s at. Find it SO much more enjoyable. Professional football is a bit all too theatre today for my personal liking, however I fully understand why it’s far more popular.

Beer on the sideline and watching two teams filled with normal lads playing an honest game, putting precious money into a club run by volunteers is what it’s all about for me.

Can’t recommend it enough.
Love that, its so true.

I've probably past a tipping point now. The disenfranchisement from Argyle because I don't have enough piggin points hurts less and less.

I find myself missing non-league when on the odd occasion i'm watching league football... whereas before it used to be the other way round... on the odd occasion I used to watch non-league football I'd be missing league football.

Its just more honest, more exciting, more real... and yes the tranquilising nature of tippy tappy possession football isn't so suffocating. Apart from the fact there's still old school football from most teams, sides who play that way are just, in a good way, not so good at it.

It means it goes wrong more often leading to drama, drama that's missing from the boring 'dance routine' of two teams trying to play the same pretty possession game that leads to thousands of passes and not much end product.

There's all the off field bonuses too, rocking up last minute, paying cash on the gate, the beer freedom, the swapping ends, the parking right outside and driving away again with no queues etc.

When something is easier and more entertaining, its a bit of a no brainer.

Reactions: Carlo

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
It's funny how we're all different.

Non league bores the bejesus out of me.

Simply of no interest.

Reactions: Ted
Jul 29, 2010
It's funny how we're all different.

Non league bores the bejesus out of me.

Simply of no interest.
And I would've said that once too, 100%.

Its a bit like when you're watching a film you just can't get into because you're too busy noticing little things that are wrong.

What's required so they say is the 'willing suspension of disbelief'... you make a conscious effort to not sweat the small stuff and just go with it.

Once you do that you find the film/football match is far more enjoyable.

I wager your willy suspension (as Mr. E Blackadder calls it) hasn't been remotely activated at a non-league game, you-ve resisted. You've probably been taken under sufferance and went into it with the wrong mindset, looking for fault rather than enjoying it for what it was.

I've been there. Sniffy about what I was watching, too busy comparing it to what I was accustomed to instead of appreciating it for what it was.

Thing is though as an exiled Argyle fan I still wanted to watch live football and obviously can't/won't switch allegiance to another league team.

So I dabbled in this, dabbled in that around the local non league scene between Argyle matches. The liberation of not having a four hour drive each way and having to plan tickets way in advance was just that, liberating.

As tickets became even more of a pfaff to buy, and of course in the last few months impossible to buy, I'm increasingly watching Argyle on TV and questioning whether its worth all that pre-planning, the tank and a bit of petrol, the two meals out required and the eight hours of driving. I used to have tea at Sparkford Services and was lucky if I got back by Match of the Day. Now I'm back for tea at home.

Never want to say never again but I have to ask myself, if I'm not like a dog with two dingles to put in all that effort and cash for an Argyle match right now (even if I could), will that feeling ever come back? Especially so when the cost of all that for just one solitary game covers half a season in the Isthmian/NLS.

You're right, we're all different, we have different circumstances, different means... and crucially nowadays different loyalty points. Of course circumstances, means and points can all change over time too.

To others currently locked out of Home Park I say give non-league a try. Go into it with an open mind, find the level/team that works for you and you too may find that once you're hooked you'll look at league football in a different way.

Because the OP's point about how samey modern football at the top end can be is absolutely spot on. And even to those currently lucky enough to see Argyle riding the wave right now I say this... once all this Championship novelty morphs into year on year Championship trudgery it will, inevitably, become boring. When it does, you too may look for somewhere else to 'scratch the itch' and you may find it just round the corner.

Just like whether I get down to Home Park again one day, never say never to embracing the joys of non-league Ian.

Jan 1, 2013
For those living away from Plymouth I highly recommend checking out a local National League North/South match if you’ve got nowt else to do of a Saturday (not much choice on that front if you are in Plymouth, of course). I made a trip to Hungerford Town at the end of last season, they played Dulwich Hamlet and it was an end to end relegation six pointer. Both teams finished with nine men, there were 10+ minutes of added time at the end of the game (before that became the norm!) and Hungerford were relegated by an 88th minute equaliser. Not to say every game will be that thrilling but it was a good time and it put some money into a local club that sorely needed it.